• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The August Heritage Auction

312 posts in this topic

It has a very early Superman story, Superman with blond hair on the cover, first published Sandman appearance, & the cool World's Fair tie in.

I think it sells for under guide simply because Overstreet overpriced it, and it's not a terribly hard book to find.

thanks, now I want one. frustrated.gif

New York World's Fair 1939 is an incredibly cool book IMO...1939 Superman plus the NYC and World's Fair connections nearly make it a grail for me. But as Brian alludes to, the Guide prices for this book are off the charts and have pretty well cooled my interest. The book also has a rich dark blue cover, which makes Fair to Good copies look pretty awful! It would still be fun to own one someday, but I doubt I'll ever want it enough to take the plunge.

I agree PointFive... it is certainly grail material, but tough to make that leap to buy a crappy looking low grade book (remember that one on ebay a while back with 50 pictures?). I have eyed lots of low-grade copies, and there have been alot kicking around in comparison to other books of that vintage, but somehow, it seems very pricey. I'll probably get around to it when I have picked up most of the other classic covers that I REALLY want.

I am also a fan of the 1939 New York World's Fair, so this is an amazing tie in... GA comics with the NYWF. Of course, I'll have to pick up the 1940 edition as well, since it has Batman on the cover!

Exactly. While there is no shortage of American duck fans, the Europeans (this includes the Germans, too) are duck fanatics! The internet has tapped into this huge customer base. As Don Rosa was telling Robyx at the SD Forum Dinner, in the US's superhero-centric comic world, he gets no attention, but when he goes to Scandinavia he's treated like a rock star.

I still don't quite understand this. I mean, Donald was an American creation. Disney is as American as Superman, no? Maybe even moreso. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, for now, I'll try and continue my small collection. smile.gif I can try and keep some of the high-ish grade duck books here in the US!

Disney books have been popular in Europe for over fifty years. That pretty much says it all confused-smiley-013.gif

Donald may have been an american creation but he went global VERY quickly. If I recall correctly Italian Donald Duck magazine started being published in 1946(?) and has been published WEEKLY since... it's at over 3000 issues now. And you thought Action had a long run insane.gif When I was a kid in Italy (lived there until 5 yrs old) I had STACKS of duck books, and brushed my teeth with strawberry Donald Duck toothpaste sumo.gif

Exactly. While there is no shortage of American duck fans, the Europeans (this includes the Germans, too) are duck fanatics! The internet has tapped into this huge customer base. As Don Rosa was telling Robyx at the SD Forum Dinner, in the US's superhero-centric comic world, he gets no attention, but when he goes to Scandinavia he's treated like a rock star.

I still don't quite understand this. I mean, Donald was an American creation. Disney is as American as Superman, no? Maybe even moreso. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, for now, I'll try and continue my small collection. smile.gif I can try and keep some of the high-ish grade duck books here in the US!

Disney books have been popular in Europe for over fifty years. That pretty much says it all confused-smiley-013.gif

Donald may have been an american creation but he went global VERY quickly. If I recall correctly Italian Donald Duck magazine started being published in 1946(?) and has been published WEEKLY since... it's at over 3000 issues now. And you thought Action had a long run insane.gif When I was a kid in Italy (lived there until 5 yrs old) I had STACKS of duck books, and brushed my teeth with strawberry Donald Duck toothpaste sumo.gif

Yup, this is not an uncommon phenomenon. Jerry Lewis is American, but is thought of MUCH more highly in France than the US. 27_laughing.gif I can name a dozen obscure American rock and blues bands that are virtually unknown in America but are gods in Japan.

Just because DD is an American creation doesn`t mean that other cultures can`t appreciate him, and maybe even appreciate him even more. I think Carl Barks in particular generates the real Duck fanaticism among European collectors, because the appeal of his stories and art is so universal.

Yup, this is not an uncommon phenomenon. Jerry Lewis is American, but is thought of MUCH more highly in France than the US. 27_laughing.gif I can name a dozen obscure American rock and blues bands that are virtually unknown in America but are gods in Japan.

Just because DD is an American creation doesn`t mean that other cultures can`t appreciate him, and maybe even appreciate him even more. I think Carl Barks in particular generates the real Duck fanaticism among European collectors, because the appeal of his stories and art is so universal.

Oh, I think my post is being misread. I fully get why Donald is popular in Europe. I just don't get why the comics are so unpopular (or at least they have a tiny fraction of the popularity experienced in Europe).

Oh, I think my post is being misread. I fully get why Donald is popular in Europe. I just don't get why the comics are so unpopular (or at least they have a tiny fraction of the popularity experienced in Europe).

DD is owned by a giant corp for which the incremental profit accruing from comics sales is a drop in the bucket. The European comic companies have managed to keep DD and Disney comics continuously available to the kids -- maybe one of European friends can speak to why this is so. Last I knew, Archie Pubs was a family owned concern and so works hard to keep Archie comics on the stands and at the checkout counters.

Yup, this is not an uncommon phenomenon. Jerry Lewis is American, but is thought of MUCH more highly in France than the US. 27_laughing.gif

I can no longer count how many times I have heard that and I can attest it's simply not true. Btw, I think that U$ is more popular in France than DD is and certainly more so than JL is and ever was.

It has a very early Superman story, Superman with blond hair on the cover, first published Sandman appearance, & the cool World's Fair tie in.

I think it sells for under guide simply because Overstreet overpriced it, and it's not a terribly hard book to find.

New York World's Fair 1939 is an incredibly cool book IMO...1939 Superman plus the NYC and World's Fair connections nearly make it a grail for me. But as Brian alludes to, the Guide prices for this book are off the charts and have pretty well cooled my interest. The book also has a rich dark blue cover, which makes Fair to Good copies look pretty awful! It would still be fun to own one someday, but I doubt I'll ever want it enough to take the plunge.

Pt5;

To me, the case of the WF '39 is a claasic example of what happens when OS makes a blunder in the guide. For 50 years, everybody thought that Adventure #40 was the first appearance of the Sandman and the marketplace priced it accordingly. It was not until the late 80's or early 90's before comic historians finally figured out that WF '39 was actually the first appearance.

Any bets that if the timeline in OS was correct from the start, WF '39 would be priced higher than where it is now and we would not be saying that it was way overpriced in the guide. I also believe it's quite likely that WF '39 would be priced higher than Adventure #40, instead of the current situation where it is priced at less than half of Adventure #40. This timeline error by OS has now been so ingrained into our collecting mentality that we find it hard to reverse our thinking and see Adventure #40 as not being quite the icon that history has given it.

Generally in every area of comic collecting, the first appearance is seen as the most important and the most valuable. This is defintely not the case with WF '39 and Adventure #40. Since this thread seems to have been taken over by Ducks, we have a classic example here. FC #9 is the first Barks DD and is valued and priced much higher than WDC&S #31 which is the first issue of a continuous run by Barks. Could anybody imagine paying more for the WDC&S #31 as opposed to the FC 9. Same thing with AF #15 versus ASM #1 and many other examples throughout comic history.

So, maybe WF '39 is not so overpriced if the comic history books had recorded everything correctly in the first place. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pt5;

To me, the case of the WF '39 is a claasic example of what happens when OS makes a blunder in the guide. For 50 years, everybody thought that Adventure #40 was the first appearance of the Sandman and the marketplace priced it accordingly. It was not until the late 80's or early 90's before comic historians finally figured out that WF '39 was actually the first appearance.

Any bets that if the timeline in OS was correct from the start, WF '39 would be priced higher than where it is now and we would not be saying that it was way overpriced in the guide. I also believe it's quite likely that WF '39 would be priced higher than Adventure #40, instead of the current situation where it is priced at less than half of Adventure #40. This timeline error by OS has now been so ingrained into our collecting mentality that we find it hard to reverse our thinking and see Adventure #40 as not being quite the icon that history has given it.

Generally in every area of comic collecting, the first appearance is seen as the most important and the most valuable. This is defintely not the case with WF '39 and Adventure #40. Since this thread seems to have been taken over by Ducks, we have a classic example here. FC #9 is the first Barks DD and is valued and priced much higher than WDC&S #31 which is the first issue of a continuous run by Barks. Could anybody imagine paying more for the WDC&S #31 as opposed to the FC 9. Same thing with AF #15 versus ASM #1 and many other examples throughout comic history.

So, maybe WF '39 is not so overpriced if the comic history books had recorded everything correctly in the first place. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A big part of the relative pricing is scarcity and cover quality. NYWF isn't terribly scarce, while Adventure 40 is brutal to find. NYWF has an ok cover, while Adventure 40's cover is phenomenal. All things considered, even if Overstreet had gotten it right all along, I wouldn't be surprised if Adventure 40 still wouldn't be priced solidly higher. Demand comfortably outstrips supply for it, while supply of NYWF '39 is pretty decent.

Pt5;

A big part of the relative pricing is scarcity and cover quality. NYWF isn't terribly scarce, while Adventure 40 is brutal to find. NYWF has an ok cover, while Adventure 40's cover is phenomenal. All things considered, even if Overstreet had gotten it right all along, I wouldn't be surprised if Adventure 40 still wouldn't be priced solidly higher. Demand comfortably outstrips supply for it, while supply of NYWF '39 is pretty decent.

This makes sense to me. A striking cover that is the start of a run of covers for the character can generate quite of bit of collecting interest.

I won two of the three comics I really wanted: Strange Tales 2 and Venus 1. I will admit I paid too much on the Strange Tales 2, but that's a tough book and the one in my collection needed to be upgraded. The Venus 1 went for about guide with the Bid Premium figured into the amount. The only other copy of Venus 1 graded as high, the Carson City pedigree copy, went for about $300 more, so I considered the one I won a bit of a bargain, relatively speaking. The only one I missed on was the Venus 3. I put my maximum bid at almost 2X guide, which was good enough to be well ahead at the end of internet bidding, but during the floor session, I ended up losing by a bid increment.

Pt5;

This makes sense to me. A striking cover that is the start of a run of covers for the character can generate quite of bit of collecting interest.

Personally, I think a big reason for the lack of interest in the New York World's Fair, 1939 is the cover art. I find it a little boring. Even given the importance to the Sandman's 1st appearance. Look at the difference in realized price for Adventure 42 versus 41. I would want a NYWF 1940 over a 1939.

Pt5;

Adam & Centaur;

Totally agree with both of you on the scracity and cover image of Adventure #40 in comparison to NYWF '39. But can you think of another DC book where the first appearance of a major character is priced lower than a subsequent appearance of the character? Traditionally, collectors have always placed a higher value on the first appearance, even more so than scarcity or classic cover image.

On the other hand, I guess we do have another classic example similar to NYWF '39. On the Timely side of the house, we have Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly with the first published appearance of Subby being priced substantially less than his subsequent appearance in Marvel Comics #1.

Actually, I guess both books are sort of one-shots published to promote something and not part of a run in the traditional comic sense. Come to think of it, why is MPFW considered to be a promotional comic, while the DC World's Fair books are not? Must be because they were eventually sold through the mail after they couldn't sell them all at the Fair.

Personally, I think a big reason for the lack of interest in the New York World's Fair, 1939 is the cover art. I find it a little boring. Even given the importance to the Sandman's 1st appearance. Look at the difference in realized price for Adventure 42 versus 41. I would want a NYWF 1940 over a 1939.

Actually, I find both World's Fair covers to be rather sedate and mundane. Nothing that really makes you want to pick up the book. I guess its major purpose was to hype the World's Fair with its flagship symbol in the background.

As for Adventure #42 in comparison to #41, of course issue #42 is a much more desireable book. It has a classic Sandman cover appearance while issue #41 just has one of the regular pre-hero covers. This would be exactlly the same as comparing 'Tec #29 to 'Tec #28, and asking which book would the marketplace have a higher value on? I think the answer is very obvious.