• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man unpublished covers !

78 posts in this topic

It's funny to see this cover with the Comics Code seal in the corner. Although the cover does looks like Harry is taking some aspirin for a bad headache! Nice find.

Got this from a Silver Comics Thread

Yes, someone had the original art to ASM 96 and the Comics Code was on that as well.

I guess the dis-heartening thing about this is that the published cover to ASM 97, which is my all-time favorite, was a gasp, back-up. 893whatthe.gif

cool.gifI thought this might interest a few Spidey fans hope someone has not posted them already. I found these Steve Ditko Original Covers for Amazing Fantasty #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #10 I thought they looked really cool cloud9.gif.

Has anyone else seen any pictures of unpublished covers for any comics they might want to post 893crossfingers-thumb.gif would love to see more. I think their was a ASM #194 alternate cover just can't remember where I seen it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

1333747-15.jpg

I posted a thread on this awhile back with both Spidey and other covers...I think for the Spidey there was #10 and some others and a funny Mexico version of #35...

I posted a thread on this awhile back with both Spidey and other covers...I think for the Spidey there was #10 and some others and a funny Mexico version of #35...

(thumbs u Cool what was the name of that thread and what section is it in I would love to check it out. :headbang:

(thumbs u Cool what was the name of that thread and what section is it in I would love to check it out. :headbang:

:popcorn:

I just spent the last hour surfing that link that contains the "alternate covers".

Extremely fascinating.

If I may add some comments here, and hopefully get some feedback from fellow comic book fans...

1) Avengers # 37 - the first of the three real "head-scratchers-what-were-they-thinking/drinking???". The unpublished cover, to me, was far better than the Kane one.

2) Fantastic Four # 52 - published cover was the better choice.

3) X-Men # 33 - tough one. The comments state that no one can recall why the Kane cover was scratched, leaving speculation open forever. Artistically speaking, the Juggernaut cover seems more smoothly drawn, replaces Marvel Girl w/ Iceman fighting the Villiain, slightly more significant than the replacment of the Angel over Cyclops fighting the villain while the others watch. The Juggernaut was definitely more better-known than the "Outcast" Villain.

4) Thor # 141 - the published cover was definitely the better choice. The 1st cover is barely passable under the standards of those times.

5) Thor # 167 - The 2nd "head-scratcher" and the hardest one to understand what in the world happened here. The 1st cover was FAR superior than the Romita remake. The Kirby 1st cover has the Loki/Thor( Dr. Blake human form) battling on a hospital rooftop, simultaneously seeing Balder in the room below the rooftop. The published Romita cover ONLY show the Loki/Thor battle. Maybe Stan Lee was "toning" Kirby down a notch???

6) ASM # 35 - Published cover has the corrected positioning of Spidey - smart move and understandable.

7) PPSSM # 15 - Published cover has the correct addition of the Villain Razorback. Another prudent choice.

8) ASM # 97 - while the published cover is great in itself, the 1st unpublished cover was far superior. The unpublished cover shows BOTH the Goblin/Spidey battle and Harry O. It is obvious that Stan Lee/Marvel had to change the cover due to the Harry O drug incident(s), a real no-no for comic books during that published time. Anyone who knows ASM at all recalls the Comics Code Authority ( CCA) refusing to allow their stamp of approval for #'s 96, 97 & 98.

9) Amazing Fantasy # 15 - the published cover was better. However, the unpublished cover would have worked too.

10) Fantastic Four Annual # 1 - the published cover was better. The unpublished one seemed sloppily-drawn, and the Spidey panel is too large. This was corrected, and Dr. Doom shares the lower panel, more marketability.

11) Fantastic Four # 65 - the published cover was better. However, the 2nd cover would have worked too.

12) Tales to Astonish # 101 - The 3rd and final "head-scratcher". The Marie Severin version was sufficient. No official explanation was given for the re-draws on the lower half of this cover, but to replace Fandrall, Hogun, Volstagg and the angry Asgardians w/ Odin and a few lame archers does not make sense. Marie Severin did well for depicting an army defending it's land from an Invader, especially the dangerous Hulk, and to have this part of her cover redone by Kirby seems to have been a total waste. Looking at Marie S's cover, you will see intricate details of the angry Asgardians. This was an outstanding artworked cover that was changed for whatever reason(s).

Off to bed!

Enjoy!

CAL

Thanks for sharing. The alternate cover to AF 15 is not so good.

If Kirby had drawn all the covers for Spidey 1 through 20, you'd be saying the same thing about the Ditko covers that actually got published, too, although after issue 15 or so, his art began to improve dramatically, and most covers from 15 to 38 are not so awkward and quite compelling. Issue 23 is probably his earliest crowning achievement in natural body positions, which is something Romita had a knack for right from the start of his Spidey run. Ditko's early Spidey art often depicts people as looking quite awkward, unnatural, and out of proportion...the same awkwardness you can see in his AF15 cover is also present on most other early Spidey issues. One of his early covers I actually do like is the #1 cover, but even that one is awkward...the way Spidey is clinging to the glass prison is unrealistic, he should be bending his arms and legs somewhat, not having them stretched to the extremes, nobody would put their body into that kind of awkward position. Early Ditko covers I also like because they have minimal unnatural awkwardness include 1, 3, 6, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20.

Man looking at that makes me sooooooo glad the Bagley period for ASM is OVER...

I hate, hate, hated the way Bagley drew Spidey.

I mean just look at that image above look at the legs

and the gawd awful anorexic waist!

:P

I can't disagree with any of that. I'll take Ross Andru every day of the week over that .