• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So if I ask if its pressed...

87 posts in this topic

However, I would like to point out that I asked on day 1 of the auction. It is now the last day of the auction. So that's the entire length of the 7 day auction that went by without a reply.

Seven days is too long to wait for any response. If a seller is not going to be available to answer queries, maybe the auction could have been delayed for a time when follow-up action could be performed.

However, I would like to point out that I asked on day 1 of the auction. It is now the last day of the auction. So that's the entire length of the 7 day auction that went by without a reply.

Seven days is too long to wait for any response. If a seller is not going to be available to answer queries, maybe the auction could have been delayed for a time when follow-up action could be performed.

I PMed Matt to make him aware of the thread and of course repeated the question.

Brent

I PMed Matt to make him aware of the thread and of course repeated the question.

Brent

Oh good. I'm sure he'll rush right over.

<crickets> sleeping.gif <crickets/>

People should purchase books with the knowledge that all books are pressed they come from the printers where the are folded and pressed. They sit in long boxes pressing agains't each other. If properly package them for shipping they are pressing between 2 pieces of cardboard. Then many of them go in a slab. If they were also machine pressed at any time does it really matter. Every collector should come into this industry with the idea that any potential purchase could potentially and/or has in other ways been pressed.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jeez, now there's a new and interesting way of looking at things...

Hey, have you heard the Beatles have split?

Glen Miller's plane's missing?

Women are going to be able to vote?

That's a new wrinkle, seller taking the Fifth!

" I can neither confirm nor deny that this comic book has been pressed."

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Joker--

Even though I'm against pressing, and will never have any of my books pressed, I'd still be hesitent to say my books are press free. Unless you're the original owner, that statement above is absolutely true. However, it should also be followed with "but, I can tell you that since I prurchased this book from so and so dealer 5 years ago, it hasn't been pressed while in my posession".

The only books I'll gurantee to be press free are the ones I purchased directly off the comic stand about 15 to 25 years ago.

While I agree that you can't guarentee every book you have,if the books were bought from non-dealers in bulk lots,,and were from original collections,the chances of them being pressed as slim to none.Anything you have had for more than 7 years in almost undoubtedly press-free.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Joker--

Even though I'm against pressing, and will never have any of my books pressed, I'd still be hesitent to say my books are press free. Unless you're the original owner, that statement above is absolutely true. However, it should also be followed with "but, I can tell you that since I prurchased this book from so and so dealer 5 years ago, it hasn't been pressed while in my posession".

Which is all one can reasonably expect...

Jim

While I agree that you can't guarentee every book you have,if the books were bought from non-dealers in bulk lots,,and were from original collections,the chances of them being pressed as slim to none.Anything you have had for more than 7 years in almost undoubtedly press-free.

I think that the chances of it being pressed are considerably less (especially for old label books), but I'd definitely stay away from guaranteeing anything unless I'm the original owner.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Joker--

The only books I'll gurantee to be press free are the ones I purchased directly off the comic stand about 15 to 25 years ago.

I think it's more the case of "to the best of your knowledge" rather then your word in a court of law.

...and I get no response, should I assume the answer is yes?

I try to steer clear of the thrice daily pressing threads, but I seem to remember Nelson stating he'd tell you if you asked, eh? Or was that just me projecting my hopes and dreams?

To answer your question DKB, yes, Matt will disclose if asked whether or not he knows if the book has been pressed.

I know this first hand as I have asked him on several different books in several of his recent auctions.

Some were pressed he said, and some were not, he said.

I cant remember exactly, but I think the Avengers 20 9.2 was not, while a Thor 148 and 142 were.

People should purchase books with the knowledge that all books are pressed they come from the printers where the are folded and pressed. They sit in long boxes pressing agains't each other. If properly package them for shipping they are pressing between 2 pieces of cardboard. Then many of them go in a slab. If they were also machine pressed at any time does it really matter. Every collector should come into this industry with the idea that any potential purchase could potentially and/or has in other ways been pressed.

Huh? You do understand the difference between pressing and the other examples you give, right? Please tell me this was tounge-in-cheek. Please 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

...and I get no response, should I assume the answer is yes?

I try to steer clear of the thrice daily pressing threads, but I seem to remember Nelson stating he'd tell you if you asked, eh? Or was that just me projecting my hopes and dreams?

That's one of the problems with the "Ask and I'll answer" stance that Matt has taken. Maybe he had already answer this question to enough potential bidders that he didn't feel it was necessary anymore. Another possibility is that he simply forgot to respond to your enquiry. Did you send him a follow-up request for a response?

On the other hand, this reminds me of the time I used to email Jason Ewert and asked him about work done on some of his earlier auctions. Never ever received a response, so I always assumed the answer was yes and bidded accordingly. Gave up after awhile as I never even came close since I was willing to bid only discounts to guide and everybody else was more than willing to bid silly multiples to guide. screwy.giftonofbricks.gif

So, it's probably safer for you to simply assume the answer is YES!

Personally I feel like the true "natural" state of a comic is one that is not flat at all but one that slightly bulges at the spine.

You know what I'm talking about... when you look down over the top of a new comic and you can see daylight THROUGH the comic from the bottom.

In that regard we are all pressing books.

sumo.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Consistently, the most predictable poster on the boards . . . not even ComcastHawk tops this guy 27_laughing.gif

I was informed of this string late last night. I'm in between San Diego and Chicago shows right now, leaving in 24 hours--very busy! I haven't checked my PM's either, so I missed Brent's message.

I get about 40-50 emails a day from ebay auctions, plus a bunch of spam, and a shockingly steady stream of scammers trying to hack into my ebay and paypal accounts. Inevitably someone's email will be deleted or end up in my spam box. I make sure to answer every single legitimate question or comment about the auctions, including pressing inquiries (which are not many).

DKB, if I don't answer, simply email me again and tell me it's your second inquiry. If I don't answer that time, then start a string! Have you bought from me before?

With nine sentences to reply to a thread, you could have said "YES it's pressed, or no it's not to my knowledge".

This would have covered a lot of bases. But now the "mystery" continues.

screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Consistently, the most predictable poster on the boards . . . not even ComcastHawk tops this guy 27_laughing.gif

That wasn't a joke post? confused-smiley-013.gif