• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #2 is still smoking HOT!!
1 1

58 posts in this topic

it's a blip. it''l go back down to a few hundred at some point.

I hope so. I have wanted a copy for several years but there is no way in hell I am going to pay anything close to $1,000 for one.

it's a blip. it''l go back down to a few hundred at some point.

I hope so. I have wanted a copy for several years but there is no way in hell I am going to pay anything close to $1,000 for one.

You like that Rabbit?

it's a blip. it''l go back down to a few hundred at some point. What is the current circulation of Usagi Yojimbo anyway? how many fans are willing and able to drop a grand on this book?

According to this link: Top 300 Comics for June 2006 , Usagi is the 198th most ordered comic, with roughly 4300 copies ordered.

However, I think this is a little misleading in that many Usagi fans don't collect the monthly issues but rather wait until the trade paperback. Stan's up to volume 20 and going strong. Also, there are many Usagi fans that no longer collect the title, but who would still love to have a copy (or two) of Albedo #2.

Clearly, for this book in 9.0 slabbed and above, it is a $1k book and the demand is higher than the supply.

Spidey collectors/fans exist? Or...that Albedo# 2 with a "reported" print run of 2,000 (and with indies, you can never truly know, it "may" be much higher, or perhaps lower, but we have no actual means of knowing) and this books, what?...how many fans??? I have no idea, so i'll withhold my hypothesis.

Hence, if you argue that Albedo# 2 is the more "rare" of the two, the books fan base would have to be upward of 100 times the print run, and I don't know any, see any, or hear any (could be in my group of friends perhaps) discussion about this book, anywhere but on forums, and blogs. Anyway, which is more likely the rational truth? I don't know, but the math seems odd.

Just a question I've always asked myself about MANY independent Publishers "rare" books, and the overall print run numbers confused-smiley-013.gif

Look, I don't want to read like a "hater", its all in good fun I hope thumbsup2.gif If you really think about that comparison, and the lack of "hard information" from indie co's....who knows with these kinds of books? I certainly believe that the high prices being paid now, are the real die hard fans of this genre and character. I would expect it to drop in the future, after all, as you wrote, he's no TMNT is he??? popcorn.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry, that last post got cut off. but essentially, i was comparing Platinum Spider-Man# 1 and its 10,000 print run classified as "rare" against # of spidey collectors/fans.

and vice versa for Albedo# 2...claiming that its "proported" 2,000 print run, is most likely LESS "rare" given the fan base.

essentially 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Edited by Viscosity

Sorry, that last post got cut off. but essentially, i was comparing Platinum Spider-Man# 1 and its 10,000 print run classified as "rare" against # of spidey collectors/fans.

and vice versa for Albedo# 2...claiming that its "proported" 2,000 print run, is most likely LESS "rare" given the fan base.

essentially 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You're talking availability. You're also assuming that every Spider-Man fan wants that Platinum #1. You should be comparing the # of collectors that want Spider-Man # 1 Plat versus the number printed. And the same with Albedo 2.

Albedo 2 comes up for sale in high grade a handful of times per year. There is always a demand for those copies and it always sells for well above guide. I'm not positive the same can be said about Spider-Man 1 Plat.

Is it possible that the demand will eventually be met by the supply? Sure. That can be said of any book. Albedo 2 has been a strong book for at least a year and a half. I don't see it slowing down any time soon...it comes up just too infrequently and there are always a ton of collectors willing to pay top dollar.

while the price is definitely high right now, the spidey 1 plat is a really bad analogy. Albedo 2 is more like the amazing fantasy 15 for usagi collectors.

Spidey 1 plat is a freaking lame variant of an ultra-overproduced 90s book for gods sake, not to mention 30 years removed from the first appearance. crazy.gif

Oh I completely disagree. I think given the specifics of my point, its a VERY solid analogy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't make me burst out laughing, YOU'RE comparing AF#15 to Albedo# 2??? 27_laughing.gif

dude, come on now, there are like, 4 Albedo fans, and I'm sure they all post here. makepoint.gif

talk about SEVERELY bad anologies screwy.gif

i think its the same analogy as that of the TMNT series...I am fairly surprise with the prices of Teenage Mutant Ninja (Mirage#1). I think the price range is about the same as Albedo#2. Basically its just the market playing supply and demand, if there is a demand the price would maintain...i have been waiting a lonf time for TMNT #1 to drop...it doesnt confused-smiley-013.gif thats why i just bought a 3RD PRINT grin.gif so any Albedo#2 2ND PRINT confused-smiley-013.gif

Viscosity-

Usagi has a large following, you don't like it, thats fine, but trivializing its fan base because YOU don't like it is just dumb. It makes you look ignorant.

AND the plat spidey #1 is a terrible analogy because its a variation of a book that has MILLIONS of copies in print, not 2000. There are no other printings or variations of Albedo #2, that makes it a much more precious object then a manufactured "Collectible"

i think its the same analogy as that of the TMNT series...I am fairly surprise with the prices of Teenage Mutant Ninja (Mirage#1). I think the price range is about the same as Albedo#2. Basically its just the market playing supply and demand, if there is a demand the price would maintain...i have been waiting a lonf time for TMNT #1 to drop...it doesnt confused-smiley-013.gif thats why i just bought a 3RD PRINT grin.gif so any Albedo#2 2ND PRINT confused-smiley-013.gif

No second print, but the Usagi story from that issue was reprinted in the Volume 1 trade as well as in the Usagi Yojimbo Summer Special.

Yeah, I think of Albedo #2 to be similar to TMNT #1 in a lot of ways. Both first appearances, both Indy comics, and small print runs 2000 versus 3000. Having said that, I think that TMNT is more popular and currently harder to find in high grade because of its size. But, TMNT's creators are also comic collectors, and they probaly saved some HG copies, similar to Dave Sim.

With ALL due respect my man (I am a noob wink.gif )

a "LARGE" following...really? where?

Like I wrote in my earlier post, i'm 35 yrs old going on 36, I have been an avid Comic Book collector since I was 6 (yes, 6...and I still have books I bought at that age to prove it tongue.gif )

I work in downtown Manhattan, and frequent quite a few Comic book facilities...NOBODY talks of Albedo# 2 juggle.gif

So, i'm ignorant? daft? dissputatious? whatever...PROVE IT gossip.gif

I am waiting to see the masses that collect this title sleeping.gif

again, all power to ya, if you like this book. I just have contention with anyone claiming its an "all-timer"...come on now...geeze sign-rantpost.gif

Usagi has a cult following larger then you would magine. He has wider exposure thanks to the TMNT cartoon and toy line. I am not really a fan, but I can appreciate what he is. I am 32, so we are similar in age. TMNT doesn't mean much to me either. There are few independant creations that can boast continous publishing for almost 20 years and over 125 different issues of a self titled comic. That alone speaks of the amount of fans. I know several collectors, and every shop I have gone into would LOVE to have one walk through their door. It really is a high demand book. Is it an amazing fantasy 15, not even close, but its one of the more beloved and important first appearances post 1980.

With ALL due respect my man (I am a noob wink.gif )

a "LARGE" following...really? where?

Like I wrote in my earlier post, i'm 35 yrs old going on 36, I have been an avid Comic Book collector since I was 6 (yes, 6...and I still have books I bought at that age to prove it tongue.gif )

I work in downtown Manhattan, and frequent quite a few Comic book facilities...NOBODY talks of Albedo# 2 juggle.gif

So, i'm ignorant? daft? dissputatious? whatever...PROVE IT gossip.gif

I am waiting to see the masses that collect this title sleeping.gif

again, all power to ya, if you like this book. I just have contention with anyone claiming its an "all-timer"...come on now...geeze sign-rantpost.gif

gossip.gif Check out Usagi Dojo they have just celebrated their 10th year anniversary.

I remember an order from New England Comics back in the 80's where they chunked in a 'Usagi Yojimbo' #1 and a 'Boris the Bear' #1 as the free issues they used to stuff in each package. Pretty sure I threw em both away.