• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stocks vs. Comics

310 posts in this topic

Are you one of them?

How much does a page sell for?

We're talking about GIJoe, right?

Larry Hama?

So who else here covets these pages?

No, I'm not one of them.

Who knows, last time I checked, Del had the whole mess. wink.gif This is considered a modern key for GI Joe people and yes, they DO exist. I'd be interested to see what a CGC 9.8 of the infamous "silent issue" would bring.

And yes, Larry Hama.

Original Art has a number of different REASONS for its popularity than simply the artists involved. GI Joe 21 would be an amazingly cool book to have in its entirety... or in pieces... if only to dangle over the drooling heads of GI Joe collectors everywhere.

And yes, they are everywhere.

Unfortunately, I think we ran most of them off from around here. blush.gif Seriously, the "WILL THERE EVER BE A GI JOE 21 CGC 9.8" threads were as rampant as the Hulk 181s for a loooong time. Sad, really. On both counts.

Okay, Major!

Kewwll! (Im trying to sound 20 years younger...)

Im just glad you apparently arent a GIJoe fanatic and you didnt add me to your "people to Kill" list!!

I'll have to wait now till tomorrow to be blasted by Gene for my Blasphemy. Guess Ive got it comin. huh? Sorry Joe fans. I just didnt know this was the SILENT issue! I remember now that the Marvel comic was a bestseller in the 80s so it stands to reason there must be a bunch of collectors out there after all.

Not disagreeing with the GI Joe collectors out there, but personally, I'd rather have a Greg Horn cover. Anybody seen any for sale?

And...what do they go for?

Could be waaaayyyy out of my price range. grin.gif

GI Joe collectors will pay extremely good money for art from so famous an issue. (It IS #21, right Balki?)

That is correct, Cousin Larry! grin.gif

In fact, I got a call from Metropolis over Thanksgiving weekend. Apparently they received a number of inquiries from prospective buyers (after the transaction was profiled the latest issue of Wizard magazine) about whether they knew if I would be willing to resell the the artwork.

So, my answer to Aman619's question would be yes, I do believe there is substantial demand out there for collectors seeking all or part of the original artwork of the most famous, most memorable, best and most popular G.I. Joe comic/story, drawn by the man who brought G.I. Joe to life in comics, featuring the series' most popular character (Snake-Eyes) and introducing the first appearance of one of its most popular villains (Storm Shadow) as well as breaking new ground with its completely dialogue-free and exposition-less story!

Gene

Not disagreeing with the GI Joe collectors out there, but personally, I'd rather have a Greg Horn cover. Anybody seen any for sale?

If you're asking, they probably are. 27_laughing.gifwink.gif

GI Joe collectors will pay extremely good money for art from so famous an issue. (It IS #21, right Balki?)

In fact, I got a call from Metropolis over Thanksgiving weekend. Apparently they received a number of inquiries from prospective buyers (after the transaction was profiled the latest issue of Wizard magazine) about whether they knew if I would be willing to resell the the artwork.

So, my answer to Aman619's question would be yes, I do believe there is substantial demand out there for collectors seeking all or part of the original artwork of the most famous, most memorable, best and most popular G.I. Joe comic/story, drawn by the man who brought G.I. Joe to life in comics, featuring the series' most popular character (Snake-Eyes) and introducing the first appearance of one of its most popular villains (Storm Shadow) as well as breaking new ground with its completely dialogue-free and exposition-less story!

Gene

BTW, 893applaud-thumb.gif That's truly amazing to have an ENTIRE key intact like that... good to know it has a good home!

And... YOU WERE IN WIZARD?!?!?!?! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!

SIGN MY BRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharpie.jpg

Gene

BTW, 893applaud-thumb.gif That's truly amazing to have an ENTIRE key intact like that... good to know it has a good home!

sharpie.jpg

Shouldn't it be sign your jock? confused.gif

I'll go out on a limb (again!) and say that there IS no original artwork. His work looks like Photoshop to me. BUT - -I may have missed a Wizard article on the Greg Horn phenomena!

Gene

sharpie.jpg

As soon as you decide to stop "borrowing" it, yes. sumo.gif

Gene

sharpie.jpg

As soon as you decide to stop "borrowing" it, yes. sumo.gif

Hey...everything's voluntary between us so don't blame me! confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll go out on a limb (again!) and say that there IS no original artwork. His work looks like Photoshop to me. BUT - -I may have missed a Wizard article on the Greg Horn phenomena!

So, artwork can only be created with pen or pencil? I know of several sculptors who might take issue with that...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How do YOU have three stars??? Oh yeah... 1400 shill accounts.

Damn you, Greggy... or should I say: "Lighthouse", "BachelorOfComix", "Methuselah", "Bugaboo", "Joe Collector", "Araiach", and most disturbingly... "JOANNA"?!?!?!?

And you people wonder why the majority of his posts are single-graemlin responses. Why bother?? He'd just be talking to himself! GREGGY IS THE AGENT SMITH OF THE MESSAGE BOARDS!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Damn you, Greggy... or should I say: "Lighthouse", "BachelorOfComix", "Methuselah", "Bugaboo", "Joe Collector", "Araiach", and most disturbingly... "JOANNA"?!?!?!?

And you people wonder why the majority of his posts are single-graemlin responses. Why bother?? He'd just be talking to himself! GREGGY IS THE AGENT SMITH OF THE MESSAGE BOARDS!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Yeah....I rock! acclaim.gif BTW....you missed my most powerful shill! I'm Wertham! sumo.gif You will be deleted! mad.gif

Yeah....I rock! acclaim.gif BTW....you missed my most powerful shill! I'm Wertham! sumo.gif You will be deleted! mad.gif

Awaiting the inevitable appearance... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Awaiting the inevitable appearance... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

How about jibba jabber? insane.gif

Why is it the majority of the threads you post are ones in which you try to defend the stock market over the comic market. We all get that you are a financial genius when it comes the stock market, that's great. As far as I'm concerned shove it up your [!@#%^&^]!! I buy comics for the sheer joy of it, since I was a kid. Even if I didn't and wanted to buy them as investments, who are you to critique me. Whether I take a loss, or even make a profit, that's my business. I would guess that a vast percentage of collectors do not purchase comics as investments. You are entitled to your opinion about the comic market, but don't come here and attempt to belittle us with your vast stock porfolio, because most of us here don't give a rat's [!@#%^&^] about it.

The one thing I don't like about the securities market can be summed up in the following example.

I bought bonds in a telecommunications company at a discount, and they were junk bonds (I believe they were BB-). So I get these junk bond at a discount rate of 94.57 (945.70 dollars). I could bore you with the coupon rate, and that it was YTM bond with no YTC. Anyways, I buy them happily as I'll take the 8 percent they were paying out at the time. So along comes our friend, Warren Buffett, and ol' Warren decides.. hey, I'll buy some of that too. Immediately after Buffett buys them, SURPRISE SURPRISE, they're upgraded (yes, SOLELY b/c Buffett bought them) and the value goes from a discount to a premium. Long story short, it certainly at times seems like a good old boys club.

Sorry, that was my rant for the day on the market. Obviously some parallels could be drawn as far as CGC vs Pre-CGC. tongue.gif

Brian

Gene

Having seen all the pages of the silent issue thanks to Gene, I can say with certainty that this is one incredible book and to have the whole thing together is really awesome and a true grail of grails thumbsup2.gif