• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Artist's Choice.

41 posts in this topic

I know Spencer banned a friend of mine for questioning his shipping rates to Canada.

I'll bet that there are a lot of these stories.

No soup for you! The art Nazi!

Well, I just know I don't have a lot of credibility placed in you, lemur55, especially after all your lovely posts in the San Diego thread last week. Your claims fall on deaf ears.

Your not agreeing with the facts has no bearing on anybodys credibility.

Facts is facts. I make no claims. Just facts from personal experience. My personal experience with Mr. B was enough so that I will not do it again.

Why would I lie? What is my motive?

Hmmmm. A small time NY-NJ-CT show promoter who is trying to get into repping artists trying to badmouth a very established artist representative and show promoter. I think that would be reason enough for you to try to stir up some muck...

And my experiences with Spencer have been the opposite of yours.

You may not believe he is a great guy, buy I do. Just like I believe there is alot more to the stories of him being mean to people than a simple "he banned my buddy because he asked about shipping". Common sense says there is more to that story, unless you want to take it at face value for some other reason.

And calling a Jewish art rep an art nazi is in pretty poor taste...sitcom or no sitcom.

Chris

My view is that you haven't posted on this board much at all, but when you have, you seem to have a major chip on your shoulder. It sounds very suspicious...

Based on what? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmm...based on your 28 total posts in the Original Comic Art forum, with 26 of those posts coming in two threads (6 with your replies here, and 20 in the San Diego Tale of Woe thread - with the vast majority of them in that thread being an extended exchange between Kevin76 and yourself).

This will be my last reply to you in this thread - its not worth my time.

And my experiences with Spencer have been the opposite of yours.

You may not believe he is a great guy, buy I do. Just like I believe there is alot more to the stories of him being mean to people than a simple "he banned my buddy because he asked about shipping". Common sense says there is more to that story, unless you want to take it at face value for some other reason.

Chris

Chris and I ride in the same boat for this one. I have the utmost regard for Mr. Beck for my dealings with him and as a person. If I knew nothing of the people posting in this thread, I would have to lend my ears more closely to the cacaphony of people in the comic art community that are appreciative of the services Beck offers before listening to a small contingent spewing forth vile.

But if you don't buy that, maybe you'll buy this. How would he be in business (a very successful business) for as long as he has and with the quality and quantity of artists he represents (even apart from his work as a show promoter) without being extremely good?

And calling a Jewish art rep an art nazi is in pretty poor taste...sitcom or no sitcom.

Did you read the other posts? It's a joke. 27_laughing.gif

You know? Banned for questioning shipping rates. ha ha

I had no idea that he was Jewish. If it sounded jewish maybe I would have left it alone. although the essence of the joke remains. The joke in the show had nothing to do with jewish. Its had to do with naziism/fanaticism. foreheadslap.gif

It's about somebody (usually a nebish/non-mensch in real life) taking a simple task to extremes.

Chris

OK, I agree with most of what you're saying...but to be honest, this seems a bit of a stretch to me. I, for one, would have no idea that Spencer is Jewish, so I find it very hard to believe that this was a contributing factor in the decision to make the comment above.

I know Spencer banned a friend of mine for questioning his shipping rates to Canada.

I'll bet that there are a lot of these stories.

Well, I just know I don't have a lot of credibility placed in you, lemur55, especially after all your lovely posts in the San Diego thread last week. Your claims fall on deaf ears.

Your not agreeing with the facts has no bearing on anybodys credibility.

Facts is facts. I make no claims. Just facts from personal experience. My personal experience with Mr. B was enough so that I will not do it again.

Why would I lie? What is my motive?

Hmmmm. A small time NY-NJ-CT show promoter who is trying to get into repping artists trying to badmouth a very established artist representative and show promoter. I think that would be reason enough for you to try to stir up some muck...

Don't forget Mass. and Maine too.

I would rather pluck out my few remaining hairs than rep artists.Your'e making this up.

When did he promote a show? Supplied artists maybe.

I had one experience with him where he was 100% wrong. It was nasty.

Thats it. Badmouthing is when you lie. I stated facts based on personal experience.

You still have said nothing. Show me where I have been wrong about anything instead of vague accusations. Are you afraid that he will put you

furthur down "the list" for the new stuff? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK, I agree with most of what you're saying...but to be honest, this seems a bit of a stretch to me. I, for one, would have no idea that Spencer is Jewish, so I find it very hard to believe that this was a contributing factor in the decision to make the comment above.

Court,

Initially I thought the same thing. It was more a seinfeld joke.

Then I read all the venom of the posts about Spencer, and then I read the posts about all the things he seems to know about Spencer.

I found out Spencer was Jewish in my 2nd conversation with him. It will get mentioned in passing from time to time, in reference to a holiday, or a joke he might have heard.

Anyone who has talked to Spencer twice would have probably found this out, so when I heard the venomous comments the benefit of the doubt dropped off. Not that I could not be still be wrong about it, the comment was not good spirited jest, more of a barb shot at Spencer.

Chris

It was more a seinfeld joke.

No more. No less.

I didn't know that he was jewish and it has no bearing whatsoever on my experience with him. My experience. Got it yet? and what venom? I couldn't find it.

and what venom? I couldn't find it.

My fault, I mistook these as venomous...

1)your laughing outloud (these symbols 27_laughing.gif repeated) when people said he was a good person to deal with and,

2) your joining in saying he was rude, obnoxious and demanding, and

3) calling him an art-nazi, and

4) saying " I bet there are alot of these stories " about one 2nd hand story of a hard time dealing with spencer without any names or corroboration.

my bad. maybe it wasn't the best word to use: antagonistic?, baleful?, person_without_enough_empathyy?, catty?, hostile?, ornery?, rancorous?, spiteful?, vindictive?

You seem to have a strong opinion of Spencer, don't let my label make you backpedal. You have every right to your opinion, and when you post it here, those reading it have every right to call you on the carpet for it.

The 90+ artists he reps and the thousands of loyal customers and friends he has in this business, industry and profession have one opinion of him and you have the other. And a rather anonymous opinion at that (I don't know who you are with the unsigned posts and all). I don't want you to think I am trying to take that right away from you. I just want you to know why I disagree.

Chris

and what venom? I couldn't find it.

My fault, I mistook these as venomous... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

your joining in saying he was rude, obnoxious and demanding

1. Your admitted mistake. Laughter is not venomous.

2. Certainly true in my one unasked for experience with him.

Spencer Beck is one of the nicest and most professional guys around.

I have purchased art from him in the past and I live in Canada. His shipping prices are right on the money. He responds to e-mails & phone calls very quickly.

You could not deal with a more helpful and friendly person. thumbsup2.gif

Tiz

What did you get Tiz?

I never had a problem with SB when I purchased art from him years ago. However, I had my friend pick up the pages for me when he visited SB. I didn't have them shipped to Canada.

What did you get Tiz?

I never had a problem with SB when I purchased art from him years ago. However, I had my friend pick up the pages for me when he visited SB. I didn't have them shipped to Canada.

Kev,

I'll show you next Friday at diner. gossip.gif

And no more Korean barbeque for a while. Lets get back to the basics.

My head still hurts. (and gut)

tongue.gif