• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

September Heritage Auction

173 posts in this topic

Was looking at the preview, and my jaw dropped when I saw this.

The object of so much sturm und drang, pathos and bathos, and good old-fashioned angst, with a dose of obsessive-compulsive disorder thrown in for good measure, and now here it is available for anyone to buy. The Ian Levine quest is even described in the write-up.

I will be very interested in seeing what this goes for. Does it have massive value other than in one obsessed collector's head? Did David T. Alexander make a massive error in not selling his copy to Ian?

752023001o.jpg

Not a lot of eye appeal for a 5.0. I'll be watching it carefully (I'm only missing 5 of the 18 issues from New Adventure #24 through Adventure #41), but I don't expect to win it, or maybe even bid. I'm assuming there's a reserve.

The object of so much sturm und drang, pathos and bathos, and good old-fashioned angst, with a dose of obsessive-compulsive disorder thrown in for good measure, and now here it is available for anyone to buy. The Ian Levine quest is even described in the write-up.

I will be very interested in seeing what this goes for. Does it have massive value other than in one obsessed collector's head? Did David T. Alexander make a massive error in not selling his copy to Ian?

752023001o.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of Creig Flessel Adventure type(not Adventure comics though it is) covers. To me, Creig's best work are the non-superhero, non-humor covers, such as the Pre-Hero tecs and the early Adventure and New Adventure comics. Why there isn't a collecting niche on these, along the levels of Schomburg covers, is beyond me.

Welcome to the wonderful world orfCreig Flessel Adventure type(not Adventure comics though it is) covers. To me, Creig's best work are the non-superhero, non-humor covers, such as the Pre-Hero tecs and the early Adventure and New Adventure comics. Why there isn't a collecting niche on these, along the levels of Schomburg covers, is beyond me.

There IS a collecting niche of these, actually. I for one collect pre-Batman 'Tecs and pre-Sandman Adventures (& New Adventures) with non-humor Flessel covers, and I'm sure (based on the prices paid for this stuff) that demand exceeds supply. In fact, that's probably why you don't hear about these collections as much as you do Schomburg or Cole, because supply is so limited that almost by definition it can't be a mainstream collecting niche. Compared to these Flessel books, Schomburgs are readily available and only require money to obtain, whereas as Ian discovered, money itself won't guarantee you Flessels.

I'm missing 5 of the 18 Adventure/New Adventure covers I'm looking for, and am missing 11 of the 26 pre-Batman Detectives. It's been a lot of fun trying to dig these things up.

What was the result of the poll?

I don't quite remember because it was based on the reputed grade of the DTA copy. I think the majority went with 2-3 times guide which was half or less of the DTA price but I could be wrong. It was either a separate thread or the main Levine vs. DTA thread.

Marc

Compared to these Flessel books, Schomburgs are readily available and only require money to obtain

Perhaps true of his Timely work, but not true of his Nedor work, where many issues are scarce or rare. There are many Nedors that I've never seen come up for sale.

Interesting that they call it the rarest DC comic. I don't think even Ian would say that about this book. I seem to recall him saying that New Adventure #13 was a much tougher book and that if he hadn't gotten lucky finding his copy in the 1970s, he probably would not have found one since then.

Then there is also the issue of Double Action #2, which has seven known copies. I don't know how many NA#26s there are, but it's gotta be more than seven. Most of us here who have paid attention know where of five of them are right now.

I'm missing New Adventure 25, 26, and 27, Adventure 33 and 34, and Detective 3, 4, 5, 10, 13, 14, 20, 24, 25, and 26. I have a lead on an Adventure 33.

I must've miscounted earlier. I'm only missing ten Detectives.

I'm missing New Adventure 25, 26, and 27, Adventure 33 and 34, and Detective 3, 4, 5, 10, 13, 14, 20, 24, 25, and 26. I have a lead on an Adventure 33.

I must've miscounted earlier. I'm only missing ten Detectives.

I will keep an eye out for these for you. As you are probably aware, the 3 New Adventures you are looking for are 3 of the toughest to find DC books out there. They will probably be the last ones you will end up getting.

I appreciate it. I've heard how tough those are, but ever since popping a BIN on eBay for a New Comics #2 (a book I never expected to see) I've felt that I'll eventually find them. You've got to enjoy the chase to collect these things (and to be a Centaur completionist).

I'm not worried about the Detectives. I'm actually being a little bit price sensitive on them, as they do show up on occasion. I expect #24-26 to be the toughest to get reasonably.

I think the New Adventure 26 will have fairly heavy bidding. There are more than a few people out there who bought into Ian's hysteria and believe that the book is the rarest pre-hero DC comic. It's not the rarest, nor is it the most highly prized. Be happy you already have one RHG!

On another note, I saw two New Comics 2 at Wizard World. One fellow had an unrestored GD. It would have been a FN, but for a tear in the upper left corner that almost loosened a piece. The other issue was around VG unrestored. Another guy had recently bought New Comics 11-14. Of course, his prices were on the far side of ridiculous, but it was cool seeing them all there!

Welcome to the wonderful world orfCreig Flessel Adventure type(not Adventure comics though it is) covers. To me, Creig's best work are the non-superhero, non-humor covers, such as the Pre-Hero tecs and the early Adventure and New Adventure comics. Why there isn't a collecting niche on these, along the levels of Schomburg covers, is beyond me.

There IS a collecting niche of these, actually. I for one collect pre-Batman 'Tecs and pre-Sandman Adventures (& New Adventures) with non-humor Flessel covers, and I'm sure (based on the prices paid for this stuff) that demand exceeds supply. In fact, that's probably why you don't hear about these collections as much as you do Schomburg or Cole, because supply is so limited that almost by definition it can't be a mainstream collecting niche. Compared to these Flessel books, Schomburgs are readily available and only require money to obtain, whereas as Ian discovered, money itself won't guarantee you Flessels.

Well said!

Interesting that they call it the rarest DC comic. I don't think even Ian would say that about this book. I seem to recall him saying that New Adventure #13 was a much tougher book and that if he hadn't gotten lucky finding his copy in the 1970s, he probably would not have found one since then.

Good point. Clearly Heritage are building on the almost legendary status that this book has acquired because of Ian's quest.

Then there is also the issue of Double Action #2, which has seven known copies. I don't know how many NA#26s there are, but it's gotta be more than seven. Most of us here who have paid attention know where of five of them are right now.

Assuming that Simon Powell's is a different copy than DTA's, I come up with 5 too: RHG's, Ian's, Christine's, DTA's, and Simon's.