• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

September Heritage Auction

173 posts in this topic

On another note, I saw two New Comics 2 at Wizard World. One fellow had an unrestored GD. It would have been a FN, but for a tear in the upper left corner that almost loosened a piece. The other issue was around VG unrestored. Another guy had recently bought New Comics 11-14. Of course, his prices were on the far side of ridiculous, but it was cool seeing them all there!

I saw that 1st New Comics #2 there, priced at $3000. That top corner was, unfortunately, a killer. The other copy you saw was probably mine, I believe. I was showing it very regularly (as I'm kind of obnoxiously known to do smile.gif ) to quite a few dealers and others.

Hell, I'll show it again, since no one asked:

newcomics2.jpg

What is the backstory on the John McLaughlin Collection? Is that the collection which includes a very large number of unslabbed late GA Church books which I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forums recently?

Yes. Mr. McLaughlin died recently and Heritage is handling the sale of his extensive collection, which is mostly (if not all) raw. The estate did not want to pay for slabbing fees, and as such most books will come to market raw, including hundreds of Church copies. Heritage themselves is footing the bill for certification of some copies where they feel it would pay for itself in increased realized value.

Heritage's ability to accurately grade raw HG books will be severely tested, and they know it. Ed Jaster told me in Chicago that he was nervous about having that responsibility, and that they were going put a ton of effort into getting it right.

I will be very interested in seeing what this goes for. Does it have massive value other than in one obsessed collector's head? Did David T. Alexander make a massive error in not selling his copy to Ian?

Ian showed us all what a turd he was when he didn't get his way so I'm glad DTA held firm. I see that DTA was interviewed by Vinnie from Metro and I wonder if this subject was brought up, I'm going to listen to it now.

Not a lot of eye appeal for a 5.0. I'll be watching it carefully (I'm only missing 5 of the 18 issues from New Adventure #24 through Adventure #41), but I don't expect to win it, or maybe even bid. I'm assuming there's a reserve.

Maybe not Win, but since they don't come around too often you could ill afford to wait for a nicer one.

I've been burned doing that in the past. It looks plenty nice enough.

...And they're off! The September Auction is now open. Amazing stuff, and tons of raw MHs. Truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I lik eyour enthusiasm!! and Gosh, you just dont sound like a guy who's selling out! Say it aint so!

...And they're off! The September Auction is now open. Amazing stuff, and tons of raw MHs. Truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I lik eyour enthusiasm!! and Gosh, you just dont sound like a guy who's selling out! Say it aint so!

I might try to pick up a raw MH or two on the cheap, just because I've never owned a MH. I'm just fascinated by this auction because in this CGC era, I never thought so many raw MHs would ever get publicly put up for sale again. It's simply amazing.

I said this kind of jokingly before, but for all the board members out there that have railed against the manipulation of old Edgar's books and the evils of pressing in general, it's time to put your money where your mouth is and buy up a few raw MHs to keep them away from the pressing mafia.

I might try to pick up a raw MH or two on the cheap, just because I've never owned a MH. I'm just fascinated by this auction because in this CGC era, I never thought so many raw MHs would ever get publicly put up for sale again. It's simply amazing.

I said this kind of jokingly before, but for all the board members out there that have railed against the manipulation of old Edgar's books and the evils of pressing in general, it's time to put your money where your mouth is and buy up a few raw MHs to keep them away from the pressing mafia.

I will be in Baltimore, if anybody wants me to be a floor guy. thumbsup2.gif

I will be in Baltimore, if anybody wants me to be a floor guy. thumbsup2.gif

If I win big in Vegas... thumbsup2.gif

I yearn to own any of those MH Timelys.

Yeah, I saw some of the grading the raw Crippen Captain Marvel Adventures and I thought the grades were off too.

The Church(I refuse to give Chuck credit for that collection) above is more like VF- to VF. Though the colors are outstanding. It will be interesting to see final hammer price on that one.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could be BAD......

Look at this Mile High they are grading NM....... not even close.

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=752&Lot_No=50518

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That book is no better than a FN/VF. I bet they haven't even looked at the interior defects.

There are going to be a lot of dissappointed collectors if their grading is that bad. This was the only book I looked at, so I'm guessing there are many others. At least the scans are big enough to point out the flaws, but still, they should be able to grade a lot better than that. makepoint.gif

Quote:

This could be BAD......

Look at this Mile High they are grading NM....... not even close.

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=752&Lot_No=50518

That book is no better than a FN/VF. I bet they haven't even looked at the interior defects.

There are going to be a lot of dissappointed collectors if their grading is that bad. This was the only book I looked at, so I'm guessing there are many others. At least the scans are big enough to point out the flaws, but still, they should be able to grade a lot better than that. makepoint.gif

Yeah, I just looked at a book I was going after, and the stress marks bring it down to an 8.0 at best (it was listed as 9.4). My enthusiasm level just went down big time. frown.gif