• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling for the head of 'House!

43 posts in this topic

Forget Exiles... TPs are enough for "What If a bunch of x-men characters hopped around the multiverse?".

On the other hand, Marvel could do a set of awesome Thanos hardcovers.

Vol. 1) Thanos: The Life and Death of Captain Marvel (Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel, Logan's Run back-up story, Death of Captain Marvel GN)

Vol. 2) Thanos: Warlock (Strange Tales, Warlock, Marvel Team-Up 55, Avengers Annual and Marvel Two-In-One Annual)

Vol. 3) Thanos: Silver Surfer (Silver Surfer appearances, Thanos Quest, Cosmic Powers, Secret Defenders)

Vol. 4) Thanos: Infinity (Gauntlet, War, Crusade)

Vol. 5) Thanos: The End (various appearances like Ka-Zar, Hulk, etc., Infinity Abyss, Marvel: The End

The order of stories in Vol. 3-5 would have to be shuffled around to the proper order.

Vol. 6) Thanos 1-12 (new series)

I would be on cloud9.gif

Kev

I think Exiles is one of the most underrated books out there.

How are the post-Winick issues? I've only read up to #20 so far. Love McKone's pencils as well.... I look forward to seeing him and Johns on Titans.

Don't get me wrong... I've been getting the Exiles TPs and enjoying them. It is a good series to read.

But The End is a great series starring Thanos, my second favourite villain (after Dr. Doom of course) with awesome art and story by his creator and one of my favourite artists Jim Starlin.

It would be like comparing Miller's Dark Knight Returns to Cary Bates/Pat Broderick's Captain Atom.

Kev

Don't get me wrong... I've been getting the Exiles TPs and enjoying them. It is a good series to read.

But The End is a great series starring Thanos, my second favourite villain (after Dr. Doom of course) with awesome art and story by his creator and one of my favourite artists Jim Starlin.

It would be like comparing Miller's Dark Knight Returns to Cary Bates/Pat Broderick's Captain Atom.

Kev

Oh come on, let's be real here. "The End" was good only because I was reading it in the bathroom and I had just run out of TP. I mean, there's only so many times they can rehash the "Thanos at the Edge of the Universe" story before it's time to put it out to pasture permanently. They should have stopped with the Infinity Gauntlet. Nine pages of Thanos and Adam Warlock standing and talking in the dark does not a compelling story make. How could he have made that interesting?

Sorry, I'm still bitter that I spent money on it.

Oh, and the art was offensively sucky as well.

Now, Exiles, on the other hand... characters you can care about, GOOD art, fun what-if style stories... where can you go wrong?? grin.gif

Those were a great 9 pages, getting to the core of the Thanos/Warlock relationship, Thanos' yearning for some kind of acknowledgement from Death, a creative explanation behind why Marvel won't be bringing characters back from the dead anymore, and an interesting way to tie in what was supposed to be a "what if...?" story into regular Marvel continuity.

Sorry you didn't like it... it was a must read for me and I thought it paid off well. I don't care about the Exiles characters, which is why I only read it in only as a TP.

Kev

Must concur a little with MK on "The End". The last pages where he was gabbing with Adam wasn't that interesting. I was also surprised to see that pharoh villain (forget his name) killed off so early. He was built up like he was going to be a major player. I thought he'd be there at the end.

I did have to return to my local comic book store as my copy of #6 had a printer defect on page #13. A few of the copies actually had a problem on page 13. EVERYBODY CHECK YOUR PAGE 13! 893whatthe.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

a creative explanation behind why Marvel won't be bringing characters back from the dead anymore,

Until the next time. These kind of stories would hold a lot more weight if anyone thought they wouldn't get superceeded by the next retcon.

The resurection that has pissed me off most by Marvel recently is the cheap [!@#%^&^] cash in Norman Osbourne/Green Goblin. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Don't mean to rant, but I love ASM 121/122 and feel they have been slightly tarnished by Marvels poor judgement. frown.gif

Although I liked the End overall, I have to agree that wasn't tremendous or anything... although I will say that the End is the best cosmic Starlin effort since Infinity Gauntlet... the War, Crusade and Abyss have all been rehashes and a little overdone... but I thought it was enjoyable.

Recent resurrection of Norman Osborne? The resurrection of Norman Osborne happened nearly 7 YEARS AGO.

What characters have been resurrected by Marvel since Quemas took over?

Kev 893frustrated.gif

What characters have been resurrected by Marvel since Quemas took over?

You ask that question like you think it'll never happen again.

And when exactly Osbourne was not resurected is not the issue..are you saying bringing him back was a good thing?

God, No... but he's back and retconning a mistake is not an option. And I don't care now if someone feels they have a solid GG story and wants to use him I'll read it.

When is absolutely the issue here... you mentioned the RECENT resurrection of Norman Osbourne as something that bothers you... it's been freakin' 7 years... if you stop picking at that scab it will eventually heal.

The policy now is no resurrections and I have no problem holding them to it. Starlin came up with a unique reason for all Marvel's former "dead is not really dead" revivals and then removed this "cancer" so that in theory it won't happen again.

Claremont keeps saying he wants to revive Psylocke, while Quesada keeps turning him down. Now he can say look - we've made our policy a part of continuity so you are out of luck (and ditto to the next guy).

Now I could be skeptical and whine about how it will happen again regardless, or I can move on and find something else to complain about. I'd rather do the latter.

Kev

Sure, all good points. I don't want to get into a negative rut about this issue either. The GG thing stuck in my throat (its pretty obvious right grin.gif), but i'll give the current guys credit on their no resurrection policy.

Lets hope Marvel have seen the light. acclaim.gif

The only thing is... arent "the end" stories considered out of continuity? It's an explanation, but not one that Marvel has to stick with if it wants to change in the future...

what the heck am I talkin' about it's comics... Nobody's dead! when quesada goes Bucky will be resurrected!

If he truly won't be bringing characters back after deaths, I doubt we see many deaths..and if there is one it'll be after much conversation at Marvel. But it would be cool if...Gwen died in Ult Spidey..sometime.

Brian

Sorry if I seemed a bit short and had a blow-up Blowout, I'm very tired.

As for Foolkiller's question, no, I don't believe The End series are supposed to be out of continuity. But they are usually so far removed from continuity as to be irrelevant. In theory the Hulk will never end because Marvel wants to publish him indefinitely, so who's to say that the story in Hulk: The End is not Marvel canon.

However, Marvel: The End was about the End of the Marvel Universe and we got to see it happen a few times over the course of the series. Each time the universe was revived and restored in some manner.

But the setup at the end of the last issue does seem to indicate that the only change was that Thanos and the resurrection cancer have been removed from the Marvel universe. Everything else goes on as it was, so to speak.

Now Marvel has announced a Thanos ongoing starting in October (written and pencilled by Starlin). If the End is to be taken literally and as part of continuity then Thanos is dead and that him coming back directly contradicts the End of.... The End. However, Thanos has faked his own death before... like at the end of the Inifinty Gauntlet (as has Warlock). He may have done so again. He's the ultimate opportunist.

Kev

or how about this for a twist... in the ultimate universe MJ dies and Gwen lives on... because in this series MJ is the first love... not gwen... now that, i'd like to see.

as for the end series... wasn't there already an Avengers "The End" and another one too... I thought those were out of continuity and that's why this one was too... but I actually have no idea and the plot device installed by Starlin is actually a good one.

There was a Last Avengers Story published about a decade ago as part of the Marvel Alternaverse imprint... essentially it was a glorified What If...? Clearly out of continuity.

"The End" imprint was initiated a year or so ago and has only seen one one-shot published (Hulk: The End) and one limited series (Marvel: The End). There are more coming, as they are completed they will be announced and scheduled.

Kev