• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trials of Shazam #1

28 posts in this topic

yay.gif

The scope of the events is pretty big, which I enjoyed. The art sometimes made him look like he has some asian heritage, but I'm not the type to be that critical of artists; I enjoy seeing their interpretations of characters (like Ramos).

Question to modern Cap historians:

How old is Billy supposed to be?

SPOILER review below:

Warning Shot: Advance Review

The Trials of Shazam! #1

Writer: Judd Winick

Art: Howard Porter

Review by Troy Brownfield

Yes, the art is fantastic. Howard Porter has thrown a change into his style, and it looks great. The painterly approach gives the book a unique feel among DCU titles, and recalls the approach of the likes of Dan Brereton. This is good stuff.

A good chunk of the story deals with some of the fallout from the changes dealt to magic in Infinite Crisis and other related books. Zatanna appears briefly, and she and Captain Marvel exchange some nice expositional banter to indicate that, hey, the rules are different. The twist is that Billy seems to know them, but isn’t quite sure. Ah, those wascaly plot complications. Much of the action involves Cap/Billy striving to save some kids from a frog-like monster (the bizarre nature of which draws a hilarious comment from Cap). It’s a classic blend of fantasy and super-hero conceits.

If there’s a weakness to the story, it’s that it doesn’t give you much info on how Cap/Billy got into their new status quo from the big events. Still, I feel like I have a bit of a better grasp on their situation, even if the limits of how/when he can/can’t leave the Rock of Eternity need to be defined. That last page swerve sure is interesting, and appears, to my money, to answer one question from that two-page spread in IC #7. The big questions are how and why.

Winick and Porter set up an enjoyable, great-looking blueprint for the adventures of Captain Marvel. From the looks of it, the trials can go in any number of directions. I’ll have to give it a bit more time to see if I’m fully committed to the journey.

I thought they had him at 14 or 15 last check.

I thought he was closer to 8 years old in the Golden Age, so I was happy to see him older in this book. It also makes a little more sense why he would have a crush on Stargirl (which I noticed hasn't been brought up since IC)

i took one look at page 1, shut the book and am done with the series. I was actually looking forward to porter too but that was pure [embarrassing lack of self control].

Have to agree with Pirate, not my thing. It was interesting to see your response about the artwork Drice. I really thought it was poor.

Pat

I agree that the decision to go with the painted style is a disappointment...however I'll pickup the entire series for the storyline.

I'm not as gung-ho as Timulty but I do have fond memories of the Marvel Family and look forward to the new incarnations of the Shazam Mythology.

There was an interview with Porter on newsarama recently where if I recall correctly he said all his Shazam artwork is done entirely on the computer, which explains the different style from his previous JLA/FF/Flash work.

I haven't read it yet, so I really don't know what is going on with the book but yes, Howard Porter's work on this is totally computer. I tried to locate some OA for it and his rep said there isn't any. Unless there are style sketches or something. Guess I have to hold out for a Beck or Schaffenberger Whiz page then.

Some of the artwork, from what I have seen of the preview, is a bit jarring. I suspect it gets better as the series goes along. Of course, I have to buy the whole series. 27_laughing.gif

I haven't read it yet, so I really don't know what is going on with the book but yes, Howard Porter's work on this is totally computer. I tried to locate some OA for it and his rep said there isn't any. Unless there are style sketches or something. Guess I have to hold out for a Beck or Schaffenberger Whiz page then.

Some of the artwork, from what I have seen of the preview, is a bit jarring. I suspect it gets better as the series goes along. Of course, I have to buy the whole series. 27_laughing.gif

maybe he will print you off a page Tim insane.gif