• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

Woohoo...1st to post on page 500! :headbang:

In the bestest SA Appreciation Thread of all! ^^

:gossip: with FF and JIM a close 2nd and 3rd of course... :insane:

Very nice #5 Tom, and you know I mean it(inner PQ of OW or better is fine by me).:applause:

:slapfight:

I saw page 500 coming, and wondered what should go here;

I will make new scans of my collection soon. This is still the first appearance of Spider-Man, trimmed or not.

af15cgc90owwtrimmedss.jpg

I'm curious what the top edge looked like before the book was subjected to the blade. The rest of the book is so nice, I wonder how bad it could have been. Can you tell where the color touch is?

Stan did a nice job with the signature placement, by the way.

I will make new scans of my collection soon. This is still the first appearance of Spider-Man, trimmed or not.

af15cgc90owwtrimmedss.jpg

I'm curious what the top edge looked like before the book was subjected to the blade. The rest of the book is so nice, I wonder how bad it could have been. Can you tell where the color touch is?

Stan did a nice job with the signature placement, by the way.

.....Amen, brother. I popped my restored FF 5 ( 8.0) out of the slab a couple months ago and it's the best thing I ever did. It's cool to handle it......GOD BLESS....

jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have been fighting with my scanner with settings to try to get more natural pictures. Below are two pictures of the raw book before I sent it for Stan to sign.

The color touch is one the brown in a few places, visible in these barely. The slight bleed through at the spine was easy to spot in hand. Given the one moderate spine stress at the middle, I'd bet this was a VF copy and someone decided a little work would let them call it a NM at a glance. The other edges and corners are all really sharp, I'd guess that the top overhang had some kind of dings to it, a minor cut etc. It looks like none of the pages were cut, just the cover.

PICT2726.jpg

PICT2729.jpg

Here's the best scan I came up with after adjusting the scanner settings for about an hour. This is not a very good scan, I don't like really it.

AF15CGC90frontOWWSS.jpg

The #15 was hell, the blues kept looking more like purple. The AF 15 didn't work well with those settings, and I began with default settings again. It just looked too dark that way, and not much helps to brighten it without looking over exposed. So I stopped with this, and plan to try that software that Barton suggested a couple of months ago.

Edited by Peter Loves Gwen

Here's the best scan I came up with after adjusting the scanner settings for about an hour. This is not a very good scan, I don't like really it.

AF15CGC90frontOWWSS.jpg

The #15 was hell, the blues kept looking more like purple. The AF 15 didn't work well with those settings, and I began with default settings again. It just looked too dark that way, and not much helps to brighten it without looking over exposed. So I stopped with this, and plan to try that software that Barton suggested a couple of months ago.

Any way you go, trimmed or not, she's a beauty. (thumbs u

These I have never had a picture of, so made scans today. Let me know if these look like decent scans, each took different scanner settings to look this way. The ASM 13 turned out the best, with only a slightly darker tone. The 12 and 15 took a while, as it was awful to try to reduce the purple effect.

ASM12CGC92OWWfront.jpg

ASM13CGC92frontWhite.jpg

ASM15CGC92frontOWW.jpg

These I have never had a picture of, so made scans today. Let me know if these look like decent scans, each took different scanner settings to look this way. The ASM 13 turned out the best, with only a slightly darker tone. The 12 and 15 took a while, as it was awful to try to reduce the purple effect.

ASM12CGC92OWWfront.jpg

ASM13CGC92frontWhite.jpg

ASM15CGC92frontOWW.jpg

outstanding (thumbs u

Can't believe I'm just now stumbling upon this thread. I'm a huge Spidey fan, and have been trying to collect the entire run for a few years now.

I currently have every issue of Amazing Spider-Man from #17-689. Also have #5, 6, 8, 12, 13 & 15. So I'm only missing 10 issues from having the entire run. This doesn't include Amazing Fantasy #15, which I'm saving for last...if ever. In regards to the Annuals I have #1, 16-the most recent one.

Most of my early issues range from Good to Fine. I try to get Silver Age issues with no writing on the cover, no tears and no pages missing. Date stamps are okay, but I'm pretty picky when it comes to what I buy.

I have a few of my favorite covers CGC'd

36006_127339190636969_100000826650662_124435_5231214_n.jpg

36006_127339187303636_100000826650662_124434_7119805_n.jpg

36006_127339183970303_100000826650662_124433_7924089_n.jpg