• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

The Romita covers are the Best ever to me! I know I will be shunned for this but I have never been a fan of Ditko's art, and I am in the over 50 age group. So I know I am not in the norm.

I'm in that age group and agree with you about the Romita art as his style was certainly recognizable and the way he drew Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy.... :cloud9: made an impression on this young lad!

But I still have a personal appreciation for Ditko as his book was the 1st Spidey I picked up as a wee lad!

The Romita covers are the Best ever to me! I know I will be shunned for this but I have never been a fan of Ditko's art, and I am in the over 50 age group. So I know I am not in the norm.

My appreciation for ditko art is more in the spirit of being a trailblazer whereas I see Romita as the king. Romita captured action like no other and paved the way for today's artists. I still think Romita's work is above and beyond what artists are pumping out today.

My appreciation for ditko art is more in the spirit of being a trailblazer whereas I see Romita as the king. Romita captured action like no other and paved the way for today's artists. I still think Romita's work is above and beyond what artists are pumping out today.

Ditko had a unique style. IMO his goblin covers were among his best! Love the classics #14, 17, and 23 :cloud9:

Although Romita wasn't too far behind. You can have this copy for a cool $27,000 :o

RAD7F70D201618_162941.jpg

i play in the g.a. end of the pool mostly these days, but there will really never be anything to beat the spider in my mind. first one i bought off the spinner was 16, so it will always have a special place in my heart. this is mine---NOT the one i grabbed when 8 yrs. old.

asm16.jpg

but, after reading, i thought he was so great that i shortly thereafter went and picked off the spinner the other book with him on the cover--and here, tho' i've upgraded, i DO still have my store-bought copy. it's a qualified 9.2---that is, would be a 9.2 had i not read it down to the 1.0 neighborhood.

asmann1-1.jpg

I have to say that, although not my favourite issue, ASM # 130 is the one I've read the most times.

I know, screwed up, BUT as a child I could never understand why Spidey needed the mobile so I thought I was missing something and re read and re read.

What I wouldn't give to drive that thing...

I'm having that exact book cgc'd this week on a walk through. The person who is managing the disposition of my ASM is quite sure it's a 9.0-9.2. (Ivegotneatstuff) It may get pressed before grading but we are waiting for Matt's reaction. That's a beautiful book.

Selling the collection is hard after having it for over 45 years but it's time. The AF15 is perhaps the hardest of all. I'm keeping my marvel tales since it's permission to simply read those stories with no guilt.

Edited by Glassman10

Anyone feel this book looks nicer than an 8.5? There is one single very light stress mark on the spine. I can tell you it hasn't been pressed:

32617842266_ca8a3dfc8a_c.jpg

32536284351_7ca948f5a6_c.jpg

Don't know why my back covers scan so bright, I think I need to adjust settings:

32658732555_cf20451a7f_c.jpg

The only thing that stands out is a single crease on the spine but looks uber tiny as well as some blunting on the bottom right hand corner of the FC. Even with those two things I'm thinking a 9.2. If its not been pressed then there are most likely some bends or a dent that would show up in the notes. Maybe a rusty staple (I hope not)? An awesome looking book with white pages! If the notes show fixable entries (or none at all) that book has CPR written all over it.

The only thing that stands out is a single crease on the spine but looks uber tiny as well as some blunting on the bottom right hand corner of the FC. Even with those two things I'm thinking a 9.2. If its not been pressed then there are most likely some bends or a dent that would show up in the notes. Maybe a rusty staple (I hope not)? An awesome looking book with white pages! If the notes show fixable entries (or none at all) that book has CPR written all over it.

There is a small non-color breaking dent on the front cover above Spidey's right hand and a small non-color breaking bend on the back cover which is near invisible. Fortunately, no rust on the staples. I think Joey could definitely work some magic on this book, but I don't plan to ever send it in for pressing.