• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, mosconi said:

That's a very well placed and clear Stan sig (thumbsu

Thanks! I think the reason his signature looks nicer here is that it's a much earlier signed book (7/21/06) and he took more time in the earlier days than he did later in life. It was much more hit or miss in the last 6 years or so that he was signing. 

5 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Final bid on the ASM 28 9.2 was $7811.00 - a whopping 47% over the GPA high :whatthe: @Sweet Lou 14 - looking like it will quite hard for us to get the grades we desire.

Another book I bid on and got outbid at the last second was ASM annual 1 CGC 9.0 - which sold for $9301.00 - another price that surprised me.

I guess ASM is still the king even in COVID times.

00002191690000112001557004.jpg

This looks like a case where GPA isn't telling the full story.  $7,811 isn't too far off from the $7,407 my 9.0 cost me last September on ComicLink.

I've decided that 9.0 is good enough for me on Annual #1.  I have Annuals #2-7 in 9.4, 8-13 in 9.6 and 14-28 in 9.8, which lines up more or less with my #1-400 run.

6 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Another very well placed Romita signature! I LOVE how it looks like his signature goes BEHIND Doc Ock's leg!!! Ever the artist, Romita is aware of how his autograph can become a part of the art. 

Amazing Spider-Man 56 8.0 ow ss Romita front.jpg

It looks like he is the newspaper journalist and that's his sign off...amazing placement!

7 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Another very well placed Romita signature! I LOVE how it looks like his signature goes BEHIND Doc Ock's leg!!! Ever the artist, Romita is aware of how his autograph can become a part of the art. 

Amazing Spider-Man 56 8.0 ow ss Romita front.jpg

Nice book indeed. 

2 hours ago, mosconi said:

What a gorgeous pedigree Annual!  :applause: Doesn't the Circle 8 have a distinctive hand-written mark?  Or only on some issues, not all?

As with other pedigrees some do not have the traditional markings associated with it, I paid extra for the brightness of the colors and probably the fact that I haven't had much luck negotiating with Harley Yee. But now with the current market it was a steal at over guide at the time.

Edited by UncleBEN

4 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive all these years. (thumbsu   

I haven't collected SA Spidey in *many* years, but wanted to add that recently I've been reading reprints of some of the ASM #1-20 run with my 9-year-old son, and it's been great fun to rediscover them all over again. It's 'amazing' (so to speak) how well they still hold up for 57-year-old stories. 

That's awesome!

Yep, he never gets old!

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yep, he never gets old!

Food for thought. His three claimed co-creators have all gone but I guess their creation is now immortal. 

Just now, UncleBEN said:

Speaking of pedigrees...here is my #2, one of the copies I have not been successful obtaining in 9.4 or better. Still a very nice looking book and one of the tougher ones to obtain in high grade in my opinion.

Might have to reholder it into the new pedigree label and hope they can remove the newton rings.

IMG_0962.jpeg

If my four children were not all grown up and if I didn't love them so much, I'd be tempted to sell them to buy this book.

10 minutes ago, UncleBEN said:

Speaking of pedigrees...here is my #2, one of the copies I have not been successful obtaining in 9.4 or better. Still a very nice looking book and one of the tougher ones to obtain in high grade in my opinion.

Might have to reholder it into the new pedigree label and hope they can remove the newton rings.

IMG_0962.jpeg

(thumbsu

That is Sweeeeeet!

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

(thumbsu

That is Sweeeeeet!

That book ticks all the boxes.

One of the best Spidey covers with a truly great villian to boot.

Personally I would rather own this than a # 1 which let's be honest leaves a lot to be desired on eye appeal.

High grade.

White pages

Pedigree

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This looks like a case where GPA isn't telling the full story.  $7,811 isn't too far off from the $7,407 my 9.0 cost me last September on ComicLink.

I've decided that 9.0 is good enough for me on Annual #1.  I have Annuals #2-7 in 9.4, 8-13 in 9.6 and 14-28 in 9.8, which lines up more or less with my #1-400 run.

It would be very beneficial if everyone reported to GPA - would make things a lot easier to keep track of. Like this, we all end up having to play detective to find non GPA sales.

17 minutes ago, UncleBEN said:

Really the label is irrelevant.

Newtons, now that is a biatch.