• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2023 at 7:36 PM, alexgross.com said:

i finally picked up the last key book in my ditko spidey white page collection (not including my af15 which is owwp) from @machone79 and it's a great looking copy!

very stoked to have all the big books in this run now, and with the white pages to boot. i don't normally care for the cva stickers but i can see why this book got one. 

asm1-4.5wp-cva.jpg

This was a really tough one to let go but it couldn’t be in better hands! Enjoy Alex and just keep me at the top of the list if the book ever needs to leave your collection, it’s an outstanding example!!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-50 TOUGHEST IN HIGH GRADE

CGC CENSUS

Well it is as I suspected…ASM 11 is still KING of the toughest ASM 1-50 books in HG (Grades 9.0 – 10.0).  I have known this for some time and still have an on-going PM I started with Jeff/jordysnordy and Elmer/Dutch74 we started August 2016 in our reverence for the book and, at the time, my quest for a CGC 9.0 as well as Elmer and Jeff’s for a HG copy.  If memory serves me you would be lucky to see 1 or 2 offered at 9.0 or greater in the previous years so when one did pop up you had to act fast.  I was able to get my copy in August 2016 from Bob Storms.  AF15s in 7.0 were going for about $50K at the time.

My list accounts for both Blue/Universal and Signature Series labels and does not include Qualified or Restored copies.  Within the time period, 2,083 new books have been graded and added to the new total of 12,027 books in 9.0 – 9.9.  That’s an average of about 1.5 books per day making the grade.

Issue 11 is one of 5 books with only single digit copies having been added to the Census in the last 4 years, along with issues1, 2, 7 and 28.  Makes sense.  Issue 11 is also only 1 of 3 books without a 9.8 (along with 4 and 28).  I last checked my survey in June 2019 so just a little shy of 4 years and thought it would be fun to check back in on the overall list.

So on to the other 49 books…

Everything pretty much holds true to form.  No change in rank for the first 8 books and then we get our first flip-flop for issues 6 and 12 rounding out the Top Ten…issue 6 nudging issue 12 by one book.  And then we see some minor rank movement jostling with issues 9 and 15 trading spots, issue 23 holding pat and 8 and 13 trading spots.  The list overall remains pretty static.

Only 3 books moved over 2 spots…issue 16 moving up 4 spots and issues 39 and 46 moving down 4 and 5 spots respectfully.  Interesting as well the bottom 8 remain unchanged.  It should probably be noted that some issues like 14 and 39 would be expected to have higher numbers as they are key books with higher submission rates.  But of course the list generally follows the years and ages of the books for condition quality as one would expect.

I have noted ASM 33 as a warehouse find of which I have read of and am not sure, but question if that is also the case for issues 45 and 47.  If anyone knows of this please chime in.

Unicorn sighting.  So what do we all think of the lone 9.9 issue 19?  It is by far the lowest of the Top Twenty issues and with its all-white cover common in HG.  But you have to feel the 9.9 was just a random assignment for the 334 books graded 9.8 or higher.  I mean what would the odds be of any given collector or grader picking out the 9.9 copy if all 13 books (the other 12 9.8s) were laid out in front of you.  And it’s probably safe to say as years pass the likelihood of another ASM 1-50 book getting a 9.9 is probably slim to none.

Having been pretty inactive the last several years since I completed my ASM 1-20 in 9.0 I somewhat equate the difference of a 9.9 and 9.8 to a wine grade differential from 100 to 99 points.  You will be hard-pressed to discern any difference between the 2 in my opinion.  They will both be killer wines where the given circumstances on a given day will be a toss-up between 99 and 100.  It is in that sense the 9.9 grade is arbitrary and a one-off.

It appears 3 books were upgraded from 9.6 to 9.8 on resubmissions.  A single issue 1 and 17 and two 12s.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 100224.png

On 4/24/2023 at 8:16 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

This is my official "Times-Are-Tough" edition of ASM #39. I was able to get a good deal on it, and am now glad to have this one in my collection!

Screenshot_20230424-200019_2 (1).png

Classic cover👍‼️