• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 9:30 AM, Professor K said:

Is that your final answer? Top one is the 7.0. Heritage has a brighter scanner than Comiclink. Top one is a little nicer you're right. I thought a 7.0 of this book selling for more than double a 6.5 was worth noting. I was paying close attention to the CL 6.5 because I own one, had hopes it would reach 10K. Not today.

Not that you were necessarily pulling out all the stops to make this difficult, but the prices and scans were a giveaway.  Every Heritage price is a multiple of $12 (or more commonly a multiple of $120 or $1,200) and only one of those numbers was.  Plus the top scan says Heritage on it.  :angel:

On 1/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I was on a road trip to the southern part of the State 30 years ago, and decided to visit a small town's comic shop.  This was during a brief (several months long, perhaps) return to collecting brought on by the hype over ASM #361.  The store had this beauty, for which I paid the princely sum of $100, the most I had ever paid for a book at the time, by far.

ASM - 19.jpg

what a sweet cooy! well done, and well done keeping it all this time too.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, Math Teacher said:

What is the reasoning behind each price being a multiple of 12?

I was using some shorthand, so it's not strictly/always true, just the vast majority of the time.  :)

Here is the breakdown:

• There is a 20% buyer's premium on comics, with a minimum of $29.  So the $12 rule is out the window for any winning bid under $145, since $145 x 20% is the $29 minimum.
  • There is also a difference between bids placed before the live auction (which can be in any amount) and bids placed live (which must strictly adhere to the bid increments presented by the bidding engine in real time).  It is possible to place an early bid like $357, and end up the winner at that funky number because someone else bid early at another funny number just below yours.  But this happens very very rarely.  Much more likely that you'll win with a round figure below your max (like, say, $320) or that you'll be outbid and the lot will be settled in the live auction.
  • So the vast majority of lots are settled according to the bid increments imposed by the auction engine.  Here are the increments:

image.thumb.png.942301fc54ff3a290c2f2c89eb80bc1e.png

• Now, there is also the ability to win with a "cut" bid for half the current bid increment.  So for example, when the bidding is at $150 the next bid is $160, but a cut bid for $155 may also be placed.
  • This means that with very rare exceptions as described above, every Heritage auction that closes for at least $200 will have a winning bid that's a multiple of $10, because once you get to $200 the bid increment is $20 and even a cut bid is $10.
  • Applying the 20% buyer's premium to any multiple of $10 will, by definition, give you a multiple of $12.
  • Extending this same logic, with those rare exceptions, every Heritage auction that closes for at least $2,000 will have a winning bid that's a multiple of $100, and a total winning bid (with buyer's premium) that's a multiple of $120.  And the same goes for $20,000 / $1,000 / $1,200 and $200,000 / $10,000 / $12,000.

Hope that made sense!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14