• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

13,828 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2022 at 11:52 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Poor staple placement caused some reading problems for whomever had this book before I did, among other things.  Love all these issues.

FF - 45.jpeg

Do you mean the top staple being in front but the bottom staple around back like that seems to be? I guess that would cause the pages to be a bit slanted near the spine when you turn them over?

On 6/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, KirbyJack said:

FF45 is sneaky tough in grade. I will need to be content with this middling copy that hides its defects well.

E27E8D87-FC3C-4E7A-8068-A950CF579A40.thumb.jpeg.827945d54c4f95b010a02692eb4577ee.jpeg

Good point- really tough to figure this book out when it comes to grading.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:47 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Do you mean the top staple being in front but the bottom staple around back like that seems to be? I guess that would cause the pages to be a bit slanted near the spine when you turn them over?

The top staple is properly placed, but the bottom staple is in the front of the book on Ben's fist, so when the OO (I assume) read it and pushed the cover open and down flat(ter) it creased the cover along the vertical line from the top and bottom of the staple rather than along the actual spine (at least I think that's what happened - there are several "cracks" in there close to the spine).  Note how the "cracks" kind of disappear when you get up to "Pop Art Productions" and the top staple.  Of course, there are a lot of other problems with this cover as well :) and "doesn't effect story" and it's right in character with so much of my 1970s collecting of Silver Age books.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:25 PM, MattTheDuck said:

but the bottom staple is in the front of the book on Ben's fist,

Okay yeah I totally missed that. My vision can fall off a cliff sometimes. I have seen books with one staple in front the other in back. I'd imagine those caused similar creases along the spine from some aggressive page flattening. Just thinking that would be like literally beating down a book 😂

On 6/19/2022 at 10:15 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Okay yeah I totally missed that. My vision can fall off a cliff sometimes. I have seen books with one staple in front the other in back. I'd imagine those caused similar creases along the spine from some aggressive page flattening. Just thinking that would be like literally beating down a book 😂

It's funny what you'll do as a kid.  I used to fold the pages under the back of the book as I read, which caused some interesting spine rolls and is fortunately a habit I quickly broke.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:27 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I like yours better because there’s no writing on the front.  How many consecutive issues of FF are you up to now?  Are you going for all of them?

I'm missing 7 issues between #29 and #200 (only 3 Silver) and most of the expensive ones under #29 :).  I have everything between #300 and #400 (and multiple copies of many) and am missing 19 issues between #200 and #299.  I am likely to complete #29 - #400 but doubt I'll go higher than that.  I'm "hopeful" on the ones I'm missing between #1 - #28.

On 6/8/2022 at 6:56 PM, KirbyJack said:

I think Stan wrote dialogue while the pages were uninked. The letterer took Stan’s --script and drew word bubbles on the uninked pages, which were then given to the inker. 

I think.

somebody show me a -script written by Stan during the silver age beside the pseudo FF 1 or 8 scripts. 

On 6/20/2022 at 4:47 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm missing 7 issues between #29 and #200 (only 3 Silver) and most of the expensive ones under #29 :).  I have everything between #300 and #400 (and multiple copies of many) and am missing 19 issues between #200 and #299.  I am likely to complete #29 - #400 but doubt I'll go higher than that.  I'm "hopeful" on the ones I'm missing between #1 - #28.

Matt, what are the issues you need above #29?