• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,033 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2023 at 2:14 PM, KirbyJack said:

Beautiful!

I recommend you pick up the Frightful Four’s individual first appearances in Strange Tales (and Amazing Spider-Man, but not cheap); They’re awesome and affordable!
IMG_1115.thumb.jpeg.69f1e51112d18e2ccd86c884ff129ec7.jpegIMG_1074.thumb.jpeg.724b31592e780a672842c3d34148f5ca.jpeg

Unless of course, you’re scared.

I did pick up this one about a month ago actually. Still need the Paste Pot Pete issue. 

20230810_202916.jpg

On 9/3/2023 at 4:12 PM, KirbyJack said:

The 42 was bought when the world was young from a Comic Heaven catalog. They had a VF- and a NM. I paid for the VF-.

Grading being what it was then, when I got the 42 I knew they shipped the wrong book, and told them. They told me to keep it!

Nice! Those were the days. Wish I had bought more back then.

Two thoughts on the cover of FF 65:

1. I have always been amused by the “deadly lips” bit. Whenever Ronan is mentioned, I think to myself, “watch out for his lips!”

2. Benjy is dumped on his arse here, but, in the finest Real Man tradition, does not spill his beer. (See, Sue is always turning Ben’s beer cans invisible so Reed doesn’t lecture him.)

On 9/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, namisgr said:

I had the good fortune to buy a handful of FFs from the Pacific Coast collection, back in the days before CGC and when it first came to market as the 'original owner collection' marketed by Pacific Comic Exchange.

Here's the ish with the first Frightful Four appearance, scanned while still in its mylar and backing board protector and also after it got slabbed.  The cover always puzzled me as to how Medusa's hair was holding herself and the Trapster in midair:

FF36PCraw.thumb.jpg.d10bfaa834bf50126e739b7f11bfef77.jpg     FF36.jpg.90cb251af44eb86ee6655e63e9b19480.jpg

Now that's a nice copy!! 

Possibly Medusa is hanging from a helicopter but the real question is how is the Thing putting his hands through the closed window without breaking it. lol