• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comicon 2007 - June 8-10, 2007

203 posts in this topic

That is an amazing print!

Has there been any mention (or rumors) of exclusives yet? I always look forward to the Toronto exclusives as they often have a Maple Leaf on the cover (like Tomb Raider a few years back)!

Off topic: Does anyone have a Witchcraft exclusive from 2005? I have been looking for a nice copy of one (9.8ish).

I made my reservations at the con hotel this morning. Not the best rate I could have received in the city, but very competitive, especially given the quality of the hotel and the incredible location. I'm definitely looking forward to our stay there. Also managed to get the con rate for the whole family (four of us), since the kids don't count towards occupancy totals, which definitely is a plus. Two queen sized beds, too, supposedly, but I've made too many hotel reservations over the years to ever count on receiving exactly what is reserved... As long as I don't have to sleep on the floor I'll be happy.

Anyway, for US folks like me who cancelled their home long-distance service and don't get a particularly good international rate on their cell, the hotel's reservation department has an 800 number you can use: 1-800-263-6364. Bonus!

Looking forward to it!

- Bill

GUEST ANNOUNCEMENT!

GEORGES JEANTY

www.kabalounge.com

14111.jpg

GEORGES JEANTY was born in Brooklyn, New York, raised near the sunny beaches of Miami, Florida, and currently resides in Atlanta, Georgia. After majoring in the Fine Arts, at Miami-dade University, he considered a career in acting, but decided to use his artistic talent to pursue a career as a commercial artist.

Inspired by the comics he read as a kid- 70’s comic book superhero icons like Luke Cage and Blade- Georges made comic books his focus. His artist influences includes John Bryne, Michael Golden, Alan Davis, and others.

Georges’ first break into comics was Paradigm #1 (1994) published by Caliber Comics. Soon after, he worked on the bad girl books of London Night Studios. Laying his artistic hands on various London Night characters like Poizon, Stryke and Razor, Georges was, consequently, arrested, arraigned and acquitted. This led to his work with other underground comic book publishers, plus a stint as a resident artist at Gaijin Studios.

His mainstream break came when Marvel Comics asked him to audition for, and later offered him, the monthly comic book, Bishop: The Last X-man. His early Marvel work also included a Gambit mini-series and Deadpool. He received rave reviews for Deadpool, and continued his Marvel-mutant-mania with Weapon X and a Gambit monthly series.

In 2006, Wildstorm Comics paired Georges with Hollywood screenwriter John Ridley, for The American Way, a controversial comic book mini-series that received tremendous underground and internet buzz.

Georges soon had another brush with Hollywood, when Joss Wheaton hand-picked him to be the regular artist the "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - Season Eight" comic book series published by Darkhorse Comics. Three issues, variant covers and multiple printings later, "BTVS: S8" it has become one of the smash hit comics of 2007 and Paradise is honoured to welcome him to the Paradise Toronto Comicon!

www.KabaLounge.com

Due to technical issues that are out of my control, the advance ticket purchase service is not available as of yet.

There will be an announcement when it does finally get up and running.

I did revise the page today.

The Joe Shuster Canadian Comic Book Creator Awards are proud to add four more inductees to the Hall of Fame in 2007 and they will be honoured at the JSA ceremony on Saturday, June 9th.

They are:

Albert Chartier (1912-2004)

Albert Chartier was one of the best Canadian comics artists. He turned to comics after studying fine arts. His first comic was the daily 'Bouboule', which appeared in La Patrie from 1930. Ten years later, he moved to New York, where he worked as a humorous illustrator for Columba Comics Corporation. During World War II, Chartier was a staff artist at the information office of Ottawa. Albert Chartier created his most popular character in Le Bulletin des Agriculteurs du Québec: 'Onésime'. For the same magazine, Chartier produced the 'Séraphin' series from 1950 to 1968. From 1968, he drew 'Les Canadiens' for the Toronto Telegram News Service. At the same time, Chartier worked as an illustrator for several magazines and promotional campagnes.

Gerald Lazare (1927-)

Gerald Lazare was born in Toronto in 1927 and left school at age sixteen to draw comic strips for Canada’s Golden Age comic publisher, Bell Features. At Bell he created such strips as Nitro; the Wing; the Dreamer; Drummy Young; Air Woman and others and acknowledges that Alex Raymond was his greatest influence for his comic book work. He went on to work as an illustrator for Saturday Night Press, Bomac Engravers, Clement Salias Inc. and Art Associates. Along the way he took the Famous Artists Course and studied for a year in Europe, before returning to Bomac as a senior illustrator. In 1956 Lazare started his freelance career working for magazines, books and television in Canada. In the United States he created historical paintings and murals for museums and governments. Lazare joined the faculty of the Ontario College of Art in 1966 and returned to gallery painting in 1974.

Gerald has been widely published and exhibited. Collections and commissions include; Confederation Life, Bank of Montreal, MacLean Hunter, McLelland and Stewart, City of Toronto Archives, The Hudson Bay Company, Metro Toronto Library, Museum of Man and the Cartier Museum.

As a cartoonist, illustrator, teacher and fine artist, Gerald Lazare fills a sizeable chapter in the history of Canadian Art.

Jacques Hurtubise / ZYX (1939-)

Jacques Hurtubise, who uses the pseudonym Zyx, was a member of the Coopérative des Petits Dessins, a group of young Canadian artists, since 1969. In November 1971 he cooperated on the launch of the periodical l'Hydrocéphale Illustré. Later on in the 1970s he drew the comic about bad guy 'Sombre Vilain' for the daily magazine Le Jour. This series was later continued in the satirical magazine Croc, which he founded himself along with Pierre Huet. In the 1980s he co-founded yet another magazine, Titanic, which wasn't that successful however. Not only because of his talents in graphics, but also because of his editorial exploits, Zyx is one of the big names among Canadian artists of the 1970s and 1980s.

Gene Day (1951-1982)

Gene Day began his career in the Canadian alternative comix scene. In 1974, he published the short-lived underground comic Out of the Depths. He cooperated with Dave Sim on Oktoberfest Comics #1, published by Now and Then Publications in 1976. Day drew for the Skywald magazines Psycho and Nightmare from 1974, as well as Mike Friedrich's independent comics company Star Reach, contributing to Star Reach anthology, Image and Quack. Day did illustrations for fantasy role-playing games and published his own graphic novel, 'Future Day', in 1979.

He was a longtime inker on Marvel's 'Master of Kung Fu' title by Mike Zeck, starting in 1976. He also inked on the licensed 'Star Wars' series, pencilled by Carmine Infantino, as well as 'The Mighty Thor' and 'Marvel Two-in-One' featuring 'The Thing'. From 1985 to 1986, Renegade Press published four issues of Gene Day's 'Black Zeppelin', an anthology series primarily featuring stories and painted covers Day completed before his death, as well new contributions by Sim, Bruce Conklin, Augustine Funnell, and Charles Vess. More of his work appeared posthumously in Caliber Comics' anthology series Day Brothers Presents, which also featured the work of Day's artist brothers, David Day and Dan Day.

VOTING FOR THE JOE SHUSTER AWARDS ENDS THIS FRIDAY - MAY 11TH!

Vote online at: www.joeshusterawards.com

For Immediate Release

Introducing Minx: Women of Comics II celebrates with the launch of The Plain Janes on May 16

DC/Vertigo introduces new graphic novel line for teenage girls

TORONTO, Ontario (Thursday, May 10): Over 20 female comic book writers, artists, and editors will come together June 9-10 at Women of Comics II - part of the 2007 Paradise Toronto Comicon.

Women of Comics II will showcase female talent and creativity in what has traditionally been a male-dominated industry. Sponsored by All New Comics Inc., the symposium will feature signings, portfolio reviews, panel discussions, and direct interaction with the artists.

This year, the spotlight is on Minx, a new graphic novel imprint from DC/Vertigo aimed at teenage girls. Designed as an alternative to traditional teen books and Manga, Minx is a series of paperbacks by writers and artists from both the comic book world and young adult fiction. “We’re really excited about the material, and we’ve got a lot of great writers and artists who are really passionate about the stories that they want to tell”, says Shelly Bond, group editor at Vertigo.

Minx debuts with the May 16 launch of The Plain Janes, written by noted Canadian young adult novelist Cecil Castellucci (Boy Proof, The Queen of Cool), illustrated by indie favourite Jim Rugg (Street Angel), and edited by Bond (who came up with the idea for Minx). Both Castellucci and Bond are featured guests of Women of Comics II.

The story follows a girl named Jane, who leaves the city for suburbia after a terrorist attack. In the school cafeteria she meets three girls named Jane who are anything but ordinary. They form a group dedicated to creating acts of anonymous public art as a form of political protest (P.L.A.I.N – People Loving Art in Neighborhoods).

On working on The Plain Janes, Castellucci says:” It would have been really nice growing up to have had comic books (written by women or men) that told the kinds of stories that I longed to read. I hope to do many more graphic novels involving the Janes and perhaps one day I’ll get to do a regular monthly series of my own!”

At 176 pages with black and white interiors and slightly bigger than a comic book digest, the line is more in step with Young Adult paperbacks. Each title also includes previews for three other Minx books as a special bonus and retail for 11.99 each.

The following is the full 2007 Women of Comics II guest list. For more information, visit www.womenofcomics.com:

• Shelly Bond

• Cecil Castellucci

• Svetlana Chmakova

• Danielle Corsetto

• Tania Del Rio

• Janet Hetherington

• Faith Erin Hicks

• Joan Hilty

• Michele Laframboise

• Kiss Machine Publishing

• Tara McPherson

• Robyn Moore

• Patricia Mulvihill

• Christine Norrie

• Nicola Scott

• Gail Simone

• Tara Tallan

• Diana Tamblyn

• Raina Telgemeier

• More to come!

The 5th Annual Paradise Toronto Comicon runs from June 8-10 in Hall C at the Direct Energy Centre on the CNE Grounds.

About All New Comics Inc.

Canada’s newest online comics shop is a joint venture between Peter Fisico, a veteran comic book retailer, and web expert Brian Garside. Visit www.allnewcomics.com for more information.

About the Paradise Toronto Comicon

The home of the Joe Shuster Awards and the premiere gathering of creators and retailers in the comic book and graphic novel field in Canada, the Paradise Toronto Comicon is the brainchild of organizers Peter Dixon and Kevin Boyd. From June 8-10, the convention will host over 150 creators and their work alongside dozens of retailers promoting a broad spectrum of offerings. www.torontocomicon.com

For more information, please contact:

Diana Tamblyn

416-866-3617

dltamblyn@yahoo.ca

I have heard in other forums that dealers will bring books to the shows if they know people (or an individual) are/is looking for them. I don't want to hi-jack the thread from the organizers of the event so if any of the dealers have some high grade CGC or RAW bronze age wonder woman they were not sure of bringing PM me and I will let you know if it is an issue I am looking for!