• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comicon 2007 - June 8-10, 2007

203 posts in this topic

For Immediate Release

Women of Comics II Puts Spotlight on Kiss Machine Presents

TORONTO, Ontario (Thursday, May 24th): Women of Comics II (WOC II) is a two-day event, taking place on Saturday, June 9th and Sunday June 10th as part of the 2007 Paradise Toronto Comicon (which actually runs three days - June 8, 9 & 10). Sponsored by All New Comics Inc., WOC II is designed to showcase female talent and creativity in what has traditionally been a male-dominated industry, the symposium will feature signings, portfolio reviews, panel discussions, and direct interaction with the artists themselves.

This year will feature a spotlight on local Toronto imprint Kiss Machine Presents, dedicated to publishing "graphic novellas" by top Canadian talent. Founded in 2005 by editor Emily Pohl-Weary, Kiss Machine Presents was launched with "Violet Miranda: Girl Pirate" by Pohl-Weary and Willow Dawson, and also features "Skim" (winner of a special Doug Wright award and soon to be a graphic novel by Groundwood/House of Anansi press) by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki, and “Mendacity” by Tamara Faith Berger and Sophie Cossette.

An offshoot of Kiss Machine, a Toronto-based zine that focuses on art, literary culture, and political views, the purpose for Kiss Machine Presents was different, but no less important to publisher, Emily Pohl-Weary. "In comics it's hard to find good female characters, and they all look like Barbie," she laughs. "I wanted to create a fun, sexy, woman-run comics line that was a meeting place for innovative, unusual talents”.

Next up, at the end of June 2007, is Summer Ink: An Illustrated Book of Letters, by Golda Fried (Governor General's Award Finalist for Nellcott is my Darling) and Vesna Mostovac (animator and Foolish Girl creator). Summer Ink represents two months’ worth of correspondence between the long-time friends. On the pages, sticky with tears, cigarette ash, beer, coffee, ketchup and bacon grease, they document their trials and tribulations in the world of love and heartbreak, paying close attention to the songs spinning in the background. Each letter comes alive with graphics Vesna has drawn and collaged, based on images present in the writers’ minds as they wrote the letter.

Learn more about this dynamic line at the Women of Comics Kiss Machine Presents panel, taking place on Saturday, June 9th at 4:30 PM featuring guests Emily Pohl-Weary, Willow Dawson, Vesna Mostovac and Mariko Tamaki.

The 5th Annual Paradise Toronto Comicon runs from June 8-10th in Hall C at the Direct Energy Centre on the CNE Grounds.

About All New Comics Inc.

Canada’s newest online comics shop is a joint venture between Peter Fisico, a veteran comic book retailer, and web expert Brian Garside. Visit www.allnewcomics.com for more information.

About the Paradise Toronto Comicon

Dubbed a "celebration of comic books, graphic novels, manga and sequential art", Paradise Comicon is the home of the Joe Shuster Awards and the premiere gathering of creators and retailers in the comic book and graphic novel field in Canada. The Paradise Toronto Comicon is the brainchild of organizers Peter Dixon and Kevin A. Boyd. From June 8-10th, the 60,000+ square foot convention will host over 175 creators and their work alongside dozens of retailers promoting a broad spectrum of offerings.

Amazingly enough, this is NOT the special guest that I was referring to, but I have ANOTHER special guest announcement to make, confirmed just minutes ago:

The return of 2005 Paradise Comicon Guest of Honour:

Jerry Robinson

Few comic book artists can say that they were present at the birth of the medium. Jerry Robinson's long and varied career started as an assistant on Bob Kane's Batman, where he came up with various aspects of the character, including the Joker and the name for Batman's sidekick, Robin. He moved into syndicated comics with his Still Life daily panel and his Sunday strip, Flubs and Fluffs. He has been instrumental in obtaining creator's rights, especially in relation to Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, and suggested creation of the Bill Finger Award for Excellence in Comic Book Writing at Comic-Con.

Jerry will be a guest at the convention all weekend and will be attending the Joe Shuster Awards ceremony on June 9th!

Will Jerry Robinson be available for signatures? If so, I can send a few books to Paradise for signature series?

SPECIAL GUEST ANNOUNCEMENTS:

CHESTER BROWN

Chester_Brown0628.jpg

Paradise Conventions and Aardvark-Vanaheim. Inc. are proud to announce that renowned Canadian cartoonist CHESTER BROWN (Louise Riel, Ed the Happy Clown) will be making a special appearance at the Paradise Toronto Comicon on SATURDAY, JUNE 9th. Mr. Brown will be appearing at the Aardvark-Vanaheim, Inc. booth from 3PM - 5PM signing with Cerebus creator Dave Sim.

Mr. Sim has also gone back to the Cerebus archives and will be bringing FREE COPIES (while supplies last) of the Cerebus World Tour Book (published in 1995) to the convention, in which Mr. Sim and Mr. Brown collaborated on a unique story, exclusive to that edition.

CEREW01.jpg

For more information on Chester Brown, please visit: www.drawnandquarterly.com/artStudio.php?artist=a3dff7dd51fc01

For more information on Dave Sim, please visite www.cerebusart.com

ROB GRANITO

Internationally known artist & illustrator Rob Granito has worked for over a dozen years in the fields of sci-fi / fantasy, horror and comic art. His name can be found along side such companies as Warner Brothers / DC comics , Disney, MTV, andVH1 where he was working on cartoons and comics as well as books, magazine and novel covers.

Rob's latest work has been on Teen Titans GO!, Justice League Unlimited, Batman "The Shadow of the Bat" and is currently working on Superman "The Women we Love".

He is also in the middle of several projects. One with Noelle "Lois Lane" Neill (from TV's Adventures of Superman).

He is currently designing the Scared - The TV series' RPG Game and is one of the cover artists for the upcoming movie "Bubba the Red Neck Werewolf" and the Meniacle Smile.

He has also provided cover art for Nth Degree magazine, Scream magazine, Cthulu Sex and the list goes on...

CREDITS INCLUDE:

Gargoyles the TV show (Disney )

MTV ( various projects including-Mtv Magazine, Cover art and Splash pages)

VH1 ( various projects including-Mtv Magazine, Cover art and Splash pages)

Batman- Shadow of the Bat

Aquaman

Teen Titans "GO"

The novels:

Shadow of the Wolf

Hex Craft

Soul For Hire

REDEMPTION ROAD

THREE SHOTS TO THE HEART

BARTENDER OF THE GODS

The Dragon and the Detective

The Starscape Project

CURSE THE NIGHT

Fools Night

Werewolf Magazine issues 1,2,3,4

Nth Degree Magazine issues 11,12,13,14

Blood Moon Rising

Cthulhu Sex Magazine issues 20-24

Dear Cthulhu Logo designe and art appears in every ISSUE

Concept designes for Bubba the Red Neck Werewolf comic book and movie

Working on future project with the Midnight Syndicate

Reviewed by The Horror Channel

Nominated for a Bram Stoker Award for Cover for the cover of Shadow of the Wolf

Art panels drawn for Partially Clips Web comic/book

Featured on Batman: Yesterday Today and Beyond

The DC comics:

Tomorrow Man

Dr. Tomorrow.

Superman " The Women we Love"

Scared- The TV series

Batman the Animated Series

Warner Brothers

Custom Work for James Earl Jones

The US Marine Corps commissioned him to do a piece for a soldier that won the Congressional Medal of Honor

The White House commissioned him to do the artwork and framing for a piece currently hanging in the White House.

The Bela Lugosi Society commissioned him to do a piece to be auctioned off.

DC Comics Maquette Designes

The Token Comic Book

Recruitment Poster for the D.M.A. (Department of Mystic Affairs) for the

Murphys Lore series

Blasphemous Hearts " The story of an angel and a demon"

The Sucubus Ryth art.

For more information please visit: www.robgranito.com or www.paintedjesterstudio.com

Kevin,

Thanks for posting the floor plan and seating assignments. I always like to know where I'm headed before I get there. Do you have a location for Ty Templeton yet? I'm really hoping to meet him at this show, but I don't see him on the seating plan list.

Thanks,

- Bill

SUNDAY WORKSHOPS

SUNDAY WORKSHOPS ARE PRODUCED BY COMIC BOOK MASTERS www.comicbookmasters.com AND ALL ARE LED BY INSTRUCTOR DAVID BLUESTEIN

SUNDAY WORKSHOPS ARE 90 MINUTES EACH

ROOM C1

11:30 - 01:00 Dynamic Cover Design

01:30 - 03:00 Storyboarding

03:30 - 05:00 Advanced Posing and Facial Expressions

Comic Book Masters is a unique school where cartoonists-in-training can come to learn the real skills of drawing inside the Comic Book, Animation and Cartooning business. They will learn from the pros what we do to make your favorite animated shows and comic books come to life. We give you a real boot-camp jam packed package of unbelievable techniques and skill tips that you can't get any where else. Hear it from regular guest speakers straight from the actual industry, and a super talented team of professionals. These programs are meant to CHANGE THE WAY YOU DRAW!

www.comicbookmasters.com

I've had a few people contact me privately about whether tickets will be for sale at the event.

Yes, tickets will be available at the box office at the Paradise Comicon, outside of Hall C at the Direct Energy Centre. Box office will open one hour before the doors open each day (so 2pm on Friday, 9am on Saturday, 10am on Sunday).

Thanks,

Kevin

comics_0528_art1.jpg

"Paradise for Comic Book Fans"

Metro News - Monday, May 28, 2007

By Jonathan Kuehlein

Toronto comic book fans: Welcome back to Paradise.

The 5th annual Paradise Toronto Comicon (www.torontocomicon.com) hits the city from June 8-10 at the Direct Energy Centre at Exhibition Place and to celebrate this vibrant comic-centric event, here’s a look at some hot new books by a David Petersen, Matt Wagner and Canadian Cary Nord, three of the dozens of creators who’ll be guests at the show:

READ HERE FOR THE FULL ARTICLE http://www.metronews.ca/column.aspx?id=50720

I cannot wait at all...should be the event of the summer in Canada. I am just hoping this will be the first time ever, that all of Harleys boxes don't have the signs posted on them that "Our Prices are in US dollars, please add 20% to the prices" 893crossfingers-thumb.gifsmile.gif

I also have this feeling I am going to be superbroke after this show...as I have intentions of spending like a madman smile.gif

Jim

I cannot wait at all...should be the event of the summer in Canada. I am just hoping this will be the first time ever, that all of Harleys boxes don't have the signs posted on them that "Our Prices are in US dollars, please add 20% to the prices" 893crossfingers-thumb.gifsmile.gif

I also have this feeling I am going to be superbroke after this show...as I have intentions of spending like a madman smile.gif

Jim

Are you talking about Harely Yee? Is he coming?