• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Collecting Thread !

230 posts in this topic

Not a Cap expert, but I would say silver age ended by issue #130 or so, if not earlier.

I'd say #119 with the end of the Skull/Falcon/cosmic cube storyline,

If that's too early, then #134 when the title changes, and certainly no later than #143 - the last issue before the 20¢ era ( which would definitely be BA) and the last green uniform for the Falcon.

Generally speaking, if there is no earlier significant marker, the Silver Age for any title ends with the last of the 15¢ issues.

There's a lot of concensus that the Silver Age ended with the 12 centers but, when I was collecting them new as a kid, I felt things change significantly with the end of the 15 centers.

The 20¢ books were picture framed, there were many new titles, genres, artists and writers, and I felt that both the talent and my pocket book were being stretched too thinly.

There's a lot of concensus that the Silver Age ended with the 12 centers but, when I was collecting them new as a kid, I felt things change significantly with the end of the 15 centers.

The 20¢ books were picture framed, there were many new titles, genres, artists and writers, and I felt that both the talent and my pocket book were being stretched too thinly.

I was a kid, collecting back then, and I totally agree on the sense that things were changing, but I was flush with paper route money and was initially excited about all the new stuff now that I could finally afford to buy everything on the stands, but within a year or so I felt that Marvel's heyday had passed and many titles were turning to drek.

At the time the most profound shift was Kirby leaving Marvel for DC. He was such a big part of Marvel's silver age, that it really felt like a new era was at hand. Romita wrapping up his initial run on Spider-man really capped it at the time, especially as he was followed by Gil Kane, who we all thought of as a DC artist.

The break between Silver and Bronze was transitional, and I look at the 15¢ era as that transitional phase- either Silver or Bronze depending on the title, and even then not always obvious as to what is what.

I was a kid, collecting back then, and I totally agree on the sense that things were changing, but I was flush with paper route money and was initially excited about all the new stuff now that I could finally afford to buy everything on the stands, but within a year or so I felt that Marvel's heyday had passed and many titles were turning to drek.

At the time the most profound shift was Kirby leaving Marvel for DC. He was such a big part of Marvel's silver age, that it really felt like a new era was at hand. Romita wrapping up his initial run on Spider-man really capped it at the time, especially as he was followed by Gil Kane, who we all thought of as a DC artist.

The break between Silver and Bronze was transitional, and I look at the 15¢ era as that transitional phase- either Silver or Bronze depending on the title, and even then not always obvious as to what is what.

What a great summary on SA-BA transition. I enjoy hearing the perspective of folks that lived in the era.

On topic: Also a Capt A fan. For me it started w reading TOS back issues in early 90s. I bought up everyone I could find, most of which were Good to Fine range. High grade were impossible to locate. I think I paid on avg $2-5 each, but they were some of my fav comics. I bought them for Iron Man, but ended up enjoying Capt as much. Funny thing is that when buying new comics in 80s, until the comic shop, Capt was hard for me to find as grocery stores were my only source. I am guessing the parents bought up the few issues in the spinners before I could get to them. It wasnt until we got our first comic shop that i had the opportunity to read modern capt with any consistency, but not soon enough to build any loyalty before I got the X-men bug which lasted for a few years, thus good boy capt took a back seat until early 90s when I picked up the majority of my TOS. Its all good, gives me something to go back and enjoy that I missed out in my younger years.

Soon as I get some pics I will post my favorite cap'n books in my collection.

Here are my big Capt America books

The TOS58 presents nice, but it has a scratch w small pin hole on FC @ "A" of America, so prob a 7.0 at best. Its a keeper for me regardless.

The Capt 110 is prob 7.0 as well. My Av4 is slabbed, but a nice 5.0

9538177575_34de823feb.jpg

IMG_2335 by foxtrot70, on Flickr

Next time I read my 110 I will snap a shot of the center fold. It is amazing! reminds me of a Schaumberg Marvel Mystery cover, but better. Marvel really missed the boat on not giving Sternako more opportunities.

9540967846_9c7ba7cab7.jpg

IMG_2337 by foxtrot70, on Flickr

9540966190_1d2b318587.jpg

IMG_2331 by foxtrot70, on Flickr

I thought I'd show my cap collection off. He's one of my favorite characters besides the punisher,iron fist, dr.strange...

Here is my collection what do you think gents? I tried to mix it up a bit from new to old....I don't have a GA cap book yet but I have a graded one that has some GA goodness on it as a sub until I can afford it.

60044e01962d5fd04b98839aa06c46b2_zps56dca73b.jpg3bf8b99ab01cdae28d0765803de47273_zps4e585a6b.jpg240da3f543fa162be3e0c28e61d32644_zps4c6ca5e7.jpge6b7660c62a77b434059bf6bdc6df3bd_zpsdb302798.jpge48c3f215991cdfc4f07c8559f69b410_zpsa15686a9.jpg

Very Nice Collection. You have plenty of great cap covers to enjoy! Besides AV#4 do you have a particular favorite? Criteria can be any aspect of the comic.

I really like the cap 111, and the story where the winter soldier regains his memories. That cover is really cool. So a steranko and Schaumburg cover are my favorites. I'm wanting GA cap books next