• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay

3,099 posts in this topic

:)

Well you have learned a valuable lesson today.

I certainly have.

Two guys can have a debate on the internet based on no facts whatsoever. (shrug)

My faith in the internet is shattered. :cry:

http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

Estimated OVERALL North American Market size, including estimates for newsstand comics and bookstore TPB sales

$640-680 million

OVERALL North American Dollar Sales for Diamond's Comics, Trade Paperbacks, and Magazines (est.):

$418.6 million

Based on those numbers, Diamond's sales accounted for about 63% of the entire North American comic book market in 2010.

If you look at Amazon's sales rank for graphic novels, the majority of their best sellers are titles they get from Diamond (including the highest-selling TPB of 2010, the 1st volume of Walking Dead).

There's no doubt that Amazon sells a metric ton of trade paperbacks - claiming, however, that Amazon sells more comic book TPBs than Diamond (who distributes not only to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, Walmart, Waldenbooks, etc, but also the entire direct market) has no basis in reality.

Is that factual enough for ya? :baiting:

Maybe. (shrug)

If, by 'factual', you mean estimates, sure. ;)

Isolate the tpb/HC sales, and you'd have the facts relevant to the argument.

As an aside, do the Diamond sales numbers include anything else? i.e. books, DVDs, comic related merchandise I'll assume not.

Maybe. (shrug)

As an aside, do the Diamond sales numbers include anything else? i.e. books, DVDs, comic related merchandise I'll assume not.

Naahh ... Seeing that the claim we're discussing didn't originate with me, I think I've done enough heavy lifting for one day - I'm sure a quick Google search will give you whatever info you require in order to be sated "factually" :thumbsup:

Maybe. (shrug)

Naahh ... Seeing that the claim we're discussing didn't originate with me, I think I've done enough heavy lifting for one day - I'm sure a quick Google search will give you whatever info you require in order to be sated "factually" :thumbsup:

Ahhhh...the classic "I'm not going to backup the claim that I made, and pretend it's because YOU are too lazy to 'do your own research' " deflection.

CLASSIC internet meme....

:cloud9:

Maybe. (shrug)

Ahhhh...the classic "I'm not going to backup the claim that I made, and pretend it's because YOU are too lazy to 'do your own research' " deflection.

CLASSIC internet meme....

:cloud9:

lol

To be fair to Mike, though, I don't think you can get the actual numbers without directly contacting Diamond's and Amazon's sales departments. As I see it, it would break down as:

Amazon Marvel and DC tpb sales

vs

LCS Diamond tpb sales and Amazon non-Marvel/DC tpb sales (ie books supplied to Amazon by Diamond itself

Based on that, I can't see Amazon selling more tpb's than Diamond. I would be interested to see the numbers, though. My gut feeling is that Amazon is sucking sales away from LCSs, especially on big dollar books like Omnibi.

Detective comics #1 is £10.99 B.I.N on Ebay UK with auction prices going over £20????

Bad news for new people jumping in on this launch as they're widely available at cover price at all the BIG UK shops... FP, Travelling man etc.

They're also being re-stocked to UK retailers this week.

You run a shop, right? Are these increased sales speculators buying multiples, or singles sales to interested fans? What proportions of each?

Did anyone see this one? It's at $51 with 12 Hours left!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DCs-DETECTIVE-COMICS-2011-Issue-1-1st-PRINT-/370541457466?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5645fdf03a

I don't know why they bid so much on this one. When they can get them on eBay for around $12 delivered using all most anyone elses Buy It Nows.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DCs-DETECTIVE-COMICS-2011-Issue-1-1st-PRINT-/370541457466?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5645fdf03a

I don't know why they bid so much on this one. When they can get them on eBay for around $12 delivered using all most anyone elses Buy It Nows.

I would almost bet that wont be a sale look at bidder history.

I would almost bet that wont be a sale look at bidder history.

hm shill or griefer...

Detective comics #1 is £10.99 B.I.N on Ebay UK with auction prices going over £20????

Bad news for new people jumping in on this launch as they're widely available at cover price at all the BIG UK shops... FP, Travelling man etc.

this one at £25 with a while to go, saw 6 issues on sat in comic shop at normal price, should have got them all http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATMAN-DETECTIVE-COMICS-1-NEW-52-NM-1ST-PRINT-NOV-2011-HOT-HOT-HOT-/160648711036?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item256768cb7c#ht_1392wt_905

You run a shop, right? Are these increased sales speculators buying multiples, or singles sales to interested fans? What proportions of each?

The ones above are Ebay UK sales, nothing to do with us.

We have had to take them off the website though & done a mass email to our regulars to let them know we have copies available.

We had a few speculators buying whatever they could but we'll always politely decline the sale when they order 10 copies of Detective #1 and leave none for our regulars.

We've pulled in a lot of new customers off the back off this and thankfully we are starting to see orders for the 2nd issues increasing now.

On Detective we've jumped from 15 regulars to 75 #1s sold and more spoken for, the majority of these are local people not web sales & they are coming back to order the 2nd issues.

this one at £25 with a while to go, saw 6 issues on sat in comic shop at normal price, should have got them all http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATMAN-DETECTIVE-COMICS-1-NEW-52-NM-1ST-PRINT-NOV-2011-HOT-HOT-HOT-/160648711036?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item256768cb7c#ht_1392wt_905

Yup and there are B.I.N's available for £8.99, £9.99 & £10.99 (shrug)