• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs PGX grading

106 posts in this topic

Also I do like the PGX holder way more than the CGC holder. I feel that it protects the book much better and stacks much neater.

I do like the much quicker turn around and the price is much better

Based on my personal experience, PGX holders are superior to CGC holders. The Leder connection is my major concern with PGX.

yes (although CGC will spin and call this a "security" feature) and yes

Based on my personal experience, PGX holders are superior to CGC holders. The Leder connection is my major concern with PGX.

Hey there, I've been considering some PGX submissions for my "personal collection", as I do believe that their slabs appear to be more solid. However, I'm not familar w/ the "Leder Connection" who or what is that?

I certainly appreciate the opinions on this thread - so, what else say you folks?

Hey thanks ValiantMan! That web-link is interesting... most interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

It is, for the most part, a summary of the threads here. Our resident photoshop expert Red Hook provided most of the scan details. It's pretty much a slam dunk case imho. Our own OldGuy created and hosts the link. OldGuy's info on comic-keys was pivotal when I first joined the boards. As a result a sad chapter was added.

I still have 20 more pre-paid submissions so I will at least sumbit that many more books. Most of those will be for my personal collection so the current economic impact will not be a factor. I have been satisfied that they will find at least some restoration as one of my first 10 came back with a Green Label. If I ever submit any more after those I will try to evaluate which one will be more econominical in the long run.

I know that I rarely if ever see a PGX book on Heritage. I really do not look at Clink much so I was wondering if either of those or other auction houses are accepting their books?

I do wish that PGX had been more honest with respect to the whole Terence Leder situation, but then again I wish CGC had been more honest with respect to the whole Ewert and Heritage situations.

I still have 20 more pre-paid submissions so I will at least sumbit that many more books. Most of those will be for my personal collection so the current economic impact will not be a factor. I have been satisfied that they will find at least some restoration as one of my first 10 came back with a Green Label. If I ever submit any more after those I will try to evaluate which one will be more econominical in the long run.

I know that I rarely if ever see a PGX book on Heritage. I really do not look at Clink much so I was wondering if either of those or other auction houses are accepting their books?

I do wish that PGX had been more honest with respect to the whole Terence Leder situation, but then again I wish CGC had been more honest with respect to the whole Ewert and Heritage situations.

I have seen plenty of PGX graded books on CL, but aren't sure whether Josh chargers the sellers 10% or 25% of the selling price.

I have read this thread and previous ones concerning the CGC vs PGX issue. I read fully the PGX Leder issue as well. I have submitted books to both PGX and CGC the reasoning behind this is two fold:

1) I believe in competition without PGX, CGC will just become another Microsoft. Without competition CGC can charge how much they want and their standards of grading/holders/turn around times will not improve without another company competing for the graded comics market. For that reason I find that whole PGX/Leder situation very sad, but it's still only one instance in thousands of books graded by PGX.

2) I like PGX "slabs" much more eye appealing and durable, their turnaround times and prices per book are far superior to CGC. I send the books I want to keep in my personal collection to PGX. I send the books I want to resell for a profit to CGC. After reading that Leder fiasco, I'll also be sending books to CGC for my buyers on ebay, not only for the extra $ CGC books bring but for the obvious trust issues on graded books.

Competition Brings excellence!

I have read this thread and previous ones concerning the CGC vs PGX issue. I read fully the PGX Leder issue as well. I have submitted books to both PGX and CGC the reasoning behind this is two fold:

1) I believe in competition without PGX, CGC will just become another Microsoft. Without competition CGC can charge how much they want and their standards of grading/holders/turn around times will not improve without another company competing for the graded comics market. For that reason I find that whole PGX/Leder situation very sad, but it's still only one instance in thousands of books graded by PGX.

2) I like PGX "slabs" much more eye appealing and durable, their turnaround times and prices per book are far superior to CGC. I send the books I want to keep in my personal collection to PGX. I send the books I want to resell for a profit to CGC. After reading that Leder fiasco, I'll also be sending books to CGC for my buyers on ebay, not only for the extra $ CGC books bring but for the obvious trust issues on graded books.

Competition Brings excellence!

Absolutely, as long as any relevant "competition" is honest, and trustworthy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm a little late joining this thread and most of the good points have already been made, but here's my two cents:

I recently sent 12 books to PGX for the three reasons that they promote on their site - (1) Your books will get back to you a whole lot faster than from CGC, (2) their prices are lower than CGC and (3) you send your books directly to them, with no middleman to deal with.

I made a list of what I thought the books would come back as and I only nailed one. The other eleven came back 0.5 to 1.0 lower than what I thought. You could certainly argue that I overgraded them, but I just think they're tough graders. I think I got the books back within 4 weeks, which was great. I also agree with others that their slabs are nicer.

Anyways, I just wanted to post my experience. Granted, that's my one & only experience with sending books for grading (I've never submitted to CGC). But overall, I thought they did a great job. thumbsup2.gif

One of many existing discussions...

PGX vs CGC

There are a TON of OPINIONS on the subject,

so here's a quick statement of FACTS, before I give my opinion.

CGC is the standard for professionally graded books, by a huge margin,

in terms of total books graded, acceptance by major national dealers and auction houses,

and in major industry publications.

Given these facts, here's my opinion:

If someone uses PGX instead of CGC, despite the facts above, they are either:

A) Cheap (since PGX is cheaper than CGC)

B) Sneaky (since CGC might catch whatever they're trying to hide)

C) Anti-CGC (just giving money to the competition out of spite)

D) near Eugene, Oregon (since PGX would be the local grading company)

E) Ignorant (not recognizing the industry signs, or not doing any research)

F) Other

As a regular buyer of comic books on Ebay, I am generally not interested

in dealing with comic book sellers who are Cheap, Sneaky, or Ignorant.

Sellers who are Anti-CGC might be ok if they actually know how to grade,

but I can't find that out until after I've paid. So that's risky.

Sellers who live near Eugene, Oregon, can't be a huge number of people,

so even if they're great, I won't encounter them often.

If there is some other reason to use PGX (such as a love for the plastic holder),

then I wonder why they didn't buy just archival boards and nice mylar holders?

My conclusion: People who use PGX may be good people, but the "signs" point

to them also being someone who I would not want to deal with as a buyer of their books.

(Not every single person, of course, but the overall risks seem too much for me to "hope" for rewards.)

Your own mileage may vary.

What a bunch of cheap shots.

There is something really good about PGX that many of you don't realize. I personally haven't used them yet and only sent out my first box to CGC yesterday, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of either company. But competition keeps other companies in line. Take for instance Intel, without AMD, Intel would charge much more per CPU than now and you would probably only be using a 1GHz today. Look at Microsoft now, no real competition, so they than make any buggy OS software without worry and still be one of the biggest companies in the world, and they can make you pay $100-250 per software and you can use it on only one computer (even if you have 4 in your home).

So with that, I will be sending out my next box to PGX to compare the two first hand. If there was only CGC, then when they double their rates, just because they want to increase their profits by a huge margin, you couldn't go anywhere else.

People in the know who buy and sell HG comics use CGC exclusivly. That speaks volumes. If there was a viable option, people would use it. Grading is not the issue, restoration detection is. We can argue about what CGC considers to be restoration or not but in the end.. if you want to sell your book for top dollar.. send it to CGC and live with what the put on the label. Everything else is a distant second.

I am all for keeping CGC in check, but just because somebody else(PGX) is doing it does not mean it affects how CGC does business. There are people in this hobby who could probably open a credible alternative to CGC but don't because they are doing just fine in their current endeavor.

CGC has probably taken a hit on Modern sub's due to PGX (maybe), but Modern subs are plentiful.

And that is why I urge CGC to post more about their company, it is not as big or as sophisticated as people imagine, but it is a far cry from what PGX could offer as proof to their credibility.

So how bout it CGC?.. How bout a virtual tour of the facility?.. We can get a tour if we go in person.. so why not publish it for all to see?

I will pay 15 cents.. no wait.. 50 cents for a virtual tour of how and what goes on behind the scenes once we sub a book.

The same offer goes to PGX

Ze-

You'll never get that from PGX, Ze. As I said in the other thread the PGX "business" is run out of an apartment or someones house by one or two people, literally. There is no PGX "facility".

Oh, I'm sure if you asked Daniel about a virtual tour he'll say "We are working on something like that..." or some other BS.

We couldn't even get PGX to make a freaking bio page, even after I told Daniel a thousand times that it would help legitimize PGX in a hundred different ways and dispel rumors about PGX only having 2 or 3 employees. All I got was the run-around.

If PGX won't even make a bio page(I have my own theory as to why they won't) how can you expect them to make a "virtual tour" of their...*ahem* "facilities".

Actually I have spoken with Daniel many times, and from what I gleened he is a very busy man with a large staff of people needing his attention. due to them being sick... Call their workplace a standalone structure, or a garage, or a shed.. I dunno. That is why I asked for a Tour from BOTH CGC and PGX.

CGC doesnt want to even give PGX the time of day , I get that much. But to me.. they could bury them with a semi decent well placed add campaign. But why bother.. time will do their work for them.

Ze-