• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there people who buy rare, sought after comics cheap?

42 posts in this topic

What I'm trying to say is, are there any members out there that like to score great, old comics for really cheap even when the comic is like a 2.0 just to have the comic. I found an Amazing Spider-man #50 that no one seems to want because it's a 2.0. I might get it for like 10 bucks even when the high grade copies go for hundreds more. I find it kinda fun getting them for much cheaper. Makes me feel special when I look at my comic budget. Of course when My budget gets bigger I can get higher grades.

So, all you high grade nuts out there you can go ahead and drop you low grade FF#1, ASM #1, Action #1 and Batman #1 this way grin.gif

Oh jeez, not another flee market basturd. I'll bet he's toothless and has heavily stained underwear. foreheadslap.gif

I honestly cannot tell if you are joking or not. I very much hope you are, because there is nothing wrong with people looking for really cheap books.

I LOVE low grade keys and cool stuff. Grade will never get in the way of acquiring a book as long as the price is right.

Same here. If I want a book, regardless of condition, I go for it. Even though I can always upgrade, I usually don't, I just like the satisfaction of reading and owning the book. smile.gif

Plus, it leaves me money to buy more. insane.gif

893blahblah.gifsumo.gif

poke2.gif

Tell you what, I will give you all the Spidey 50s in 2.0 as long as you give me

Spidey 1, Batman 1, Action Comics 1 in the same grade, deal 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

When I find one of those, it is yours. flowerred.gif

So, for the Spidey 1, is that the holo-foil edition you wanted? poke2.gif

I LOVE low grade keys and cool stuff. Grade will never get in the way of acquiring a book as long as the price is right.

Same here. If I want a book, regardless of condition, I go for it. Even though I can always upgrade, I usually don't, I just like the satisfaction of reading and owning the book. smile.gif Plus, it leaves me money to buy more. insane.gif

Same here, too. I bought a low-grade FF #1 from a fellow board member last year, and I couldn't be happier. I recently bought some more low-grade early FF's thanks to a referral from another fellow board member (mattbird), and again - I couldn't be happier. If I can find affordable copies of FF #'s 3 and 4, I'll have the first 20. I can't believe I actually own them period, regardless of their condition.

I own coverless copies of the Silver Age GL #'1 and Silver Age JLA #1. I also own a Golden Age GL #5 that has a fake cover. I may upgrade in the future, but right now my focus in on completing full runs, so I'm fine with reader copies (and I prefer them, since I want to read all the comics I never could afford when I collected comics back in the 70's). Once I'm in a different position (i.e., having the full runs), I may take a different approach.

If I'd only wanted high-grade copies of all those books, I'd still be pinching pennies instead of taking them out, looking at them, and thinking, "Holy 893censored-thumb.gif I own a Fantastic Four #1!!!" grin.gif

2.0 is just too low.... crazy.gif
Depends on the book.. Action Comics 1 2.0 is the price of a mercedes-benz...

I'll take the car... makepoint.gif

Do we also have to choose between "The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck" and a horseless carriage?

Jack

I buy "rare, sought after" books in low grade, but it has to be more "rare" and "sought after" than an ASM #50. I've owned a coverless ASM #1, which I thought was cool. And I currently have a Detective #39 (Robin's 2nd app.) with only a front cover. I show it with pride. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a complete copy.

2.0 is just too low.... crazy.gif
Depends on the book.. Action Comics 1 2.0 is the price of a mercedes-benz...

I'll take the car... makepoint.gif

problem is the car goes down in value 893censored-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

So doesn't the comic, if you place a turd on it. poke2.gif

The only way I could ever afford any truly rare comic would be to go for the copy that is missing... half the pages. So, to answer your question, yes. I go for the comic, not the grade. Readers all the way.

confused.gif How do you read it if it's missing half the pages? poke2.gif

yes, lots of people like to pay as little as they can for what they want

the ASM 50 is hardly "rare", though perhaps sought after. your 2.0 can probably do better than $10 if you're patient. I sold a VG last year for $65.

I agree, for books that are not part of my "core" collections I'll look try to score an 'el cheapo or two just to have them.

I nabbed a decent CGC combo-deal awhile ago: ASM #50 3.5 and #51 2.0, both for $75 or so. For a popular "key" like that I thought it was fair... right 893scratchchin-thumb.gif?

I'm not huge into Silver-Age ASMs, but those books make me happiee 893applaud-thumb.gif!