• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CL's October Golden Age auction looks to be a good one...

361 posts in this topic

Looks pretty good for an 8.0.

Wish I was smart enough to buy it then.

I looked at it when it was at 8.0 and I couldn't figure out why it was graded that low. Of course you can't open the slab to peek but there wasn't discernible from the outside.

Before I bought the book from Parrino, we talked about it being upgraded from an 8.0 to a 9.0. He looked at the book in person and felt it was an easy upgrade. He couldn't understand why it was only an 8.0 either.

No matter grimstar, it is a GREAT book and congratulations on owning such a....wait for it...a... marvel!

STEVE

Who knows. Maybe it was a straight re-sub.

Don't say that to some people around here. I got yelled at when I inadvertently implied an upgrade could bump up two levels.

Really. I've seen it happen.

Jive Turkey:

I'm new to the Boards, but have been collecting high grade timelies for about 5 years.

I might be interested in parting with Subby #1 & #2, both CGC 8.5 unrestored.

Welcome to the Boards and thanks for the offer. I'll probably settle for a nice mid grade Subby # 1 when the time comes to buy one. As for your # 2, I assume its the same one on Comiclink (the only 8.5 on the census)? Nice book to be sure, and something I might be interested in down the line.

Oops. My bad. Sorry JiveTurkey. For some reason I had thought you had already responded before I wrote or I would've waited to ask about the book.

No harm done. I'd sooner spend $30k on a new Infiniti then on any single comic book, so you weren't stepping on my toes at all. wink.gif

Don't say that to some people around here. I got yelled at when I inadvertently implied an upgrade could bump up two levels.

Don't feel bad Mark. I got burned at the stake for suggesting the same thing on a thread in the General section.

Really. I've seen it happen.

Not sure if my response made sense so I'll restate it. I've seen a single book without any work being done receive an 8.0, 9.0 and 8.5.

There is no rest for the weary. Alas, with the time for CL's auction winding down I find myself with a diminishing list of potential candidates based on price. Hark, I said. I believe I found an interesting book? I'm always sucker for a nice looking Sub war cover. The Sub 10 might fit the bill? "To the archives". I say. Time is money. However, is not spending time to research a bit foolish?

I need HELP again from the pro's. Are the following pictures all the same book?

Per CL's offering

http://www.comiclink.com/./auctions/item...4&id=654204

Per Heritage's Oct 2002 offering.

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=804&Lot_No=7147&src=pr

Seem's to be the same book as the CL offering except I can't see the tear on the bottom of the back cover as well on Cl's auction.

Lest we see how the story began, let's focus our attention on Heritage's July 2002 offering.

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=803&Lot_No=5217&src=pr

Is this the entire SUB 10 story from inception or have I erred? I can only spot the letter above Sub's head and the tear on the back cover.

UPDATE: This Subby # 10, which had been sitting on the Comiclink website for 4-5 months without any activity before I bid on it, and which was passed over in the recent Comiclink auction, is now showing as SOLD for $3,300.

Guess the buyer didn't read this thread. confused-smiley-013.gif

Or, doesn't care that the book used to be a 6.5. screwy.gif

Come on guys.

Blow up the 2 scans and you can see it's 2 different books.

Look again. In all three pictures is the very distinctive "A" (or "S") written in pencil on the front cover. You can also see traces of dirt/debris that are clearly on the 6.5, and appear only faintly on the 9.0 copy, (The dash in the "Submariner" title for example), indicating either a dry cleaning or some sort of scan manipulation.

Nope. Same book. I bid $2,700 on it originally, BEFORE someone pointed out that it was a 6.5 in another life.

And this is part of the reason why "potentialization" is hurting the market, because a percentage of buyers just get turned off to these types of books and tighten their purse strings in response.