• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun Comics not owned by esquire

297 posts in this topic

"The 100th issue of DC's premiere title (and the Church copy, too)...awesome."

Hey, I offered that (not a church copy, but condition-wise, looks similar) here several times with no bites! (Eventually sold it on ebay.)

greenarrow_bot.jpg

greenarrow_top.jpg

Man, my crappy slab scans are embarassing!

Given that it's a dupe of what's up and not as sharp, I won't bother putting my #45 up.

You hardly ever see decent copies of the Howie Post cover More Funs (issues 121-127) for sale, but there was a handful of them in the latest Heritage auction. The bidding on them was surprisingly heavy

I wonder if this thread has helped to generate more interest in this title. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nice pick up, Peter! thumbsup2.gif

I wasn't going to post this until I actually received it, but I too won a More Fun (not one of the Howie Post covers, but one of the great Mort Meskin covers) in the latest Heritage auction. I barely paid over 9.2 guide for this, which was surprising (so much so that I never expected to win it at all). I didn't do any due diligence at all since I never really expected to win it, so it'll undoubtedly show up in Master Chef's thread as a former 2.0. tongue.gif

822110006o.jpg

Great pick up Tim. I was watching that book and wondering who the lucky winner was. You got a great deal.

I agree -- and on a very cool book. The positioning of Johnny Quick on that cover is quite striking and quite unusual. When Kubert told me that Meskin was one of the artists that he admired he explained that one of the qualities he liked was Meskin's facility with dramatic fore-shortening.

Nice snag. You're lucky I had a copy already. tongue.gif

I thought you didn't bid on Heritage items anymore. poke2.gif

Unless they have a book he wants. poke2.gif

I'm not even really knocking him by saying that, despite the obvious hypocrisy being demonstrated. Moral stands are nice, but collecting is a disease. If someone has a book you want, you'll rationalize the decision to deal with them despite having said at some point "I'll never buy from xxx again!" And of course, Mark has always qualified his Heritage bashing by saying "rarely" instead of "never", despite a litany of reasons why "never" would appear more appropriate.

I have stayed very consistent with my position regarding Heritage, both in written expression and practice. Until certain policies change (and I continue to work with Heritage on these issues and voice my positions, all of which are received politely and respectfully) I do not buy any comics from Heritage for resale purposes. I continue to buy a limited number of comic books for my own personal collection when Heritage offers a book that is particularly rare, i.e., Church More Funs and ashcans, for example, that I will likely not see elsewhere.

I went from spending an average of $20k - $50k every Signature auction to $0 - $3k. I'd say that is a pretty good message and demonstration of my principles.

So how can it be hypocrisy if, as you aptly note, I have always qualified my position? If I had advocated a hands off policy, which you say is more appropriate (and I am not knocking that position), than I would be a hypocrite. But since that is not the case ... I'm not.

hi.gif

I wasn't going to post this until I actually received it, but I too won a More Fun (not one of the Howie Post covers, but one of the great Mort Meskin covers) in the latest Heritage auction. I barely paid over 9.2 guide for this, which was surprising (so much so that I never expected to win it at all). I didn't do any due diligence at all since I never really expected to win it, so it'll undoubtedly show up in Master Chef's thread as a former 2.0. tongue.gif

822110006o.jpg

tth2;

Didn't know that you was starting to venture into the GA market.

Actually, I guess this is just a low-ball bid which you was not seriously expecting to win. I've also travelled down this same road before. Ended up picking up some books that didn't really fit with the rest of my collection, but certainly a good deal compared to guide.

All I can say is that I hope this is the last one from your end since we certainly don't need your deep pockets driving up the price of GA books similar to what you did to the SA DC's. poke2.gif

BTW: Congrats on your nice GA pickup since this is probably your first one outside of the Ducks books. thumbsup2.gif

Actually, I guess this is just a low-ball bid which you was not seriously expecting to win.

You are correct, sir!

All I can say is that I hope this is the last one from your end since we certainly don't need your deep pockets driving up the price of GA books similar to what you did to the SA DC's. poke2.gif

If anything, my purchase at this price helped to drive the average sale price of this book down! tongue.gif

BTW: Congrats on your nice GA pickup since this is probably your first one outside of the Ducks books. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! You're right, this is the first non-Duck GA I've ever purchased, but I actually picked up 2 other non-Duck GA books in the auction. However, I will wait to reveal them until after they actually arrive, so as not to jinx myself.

If anything, my purchase at this price helped to drive the average sale price of this book down! tongue.gif

No, the real trick is that you have to be much more selective about this entire process. Continue to drive DOWN the prices of the books that I wamt, but at the same time, be sure to drive UP the prices that I already own. tongue.gif

Thanks! You're right, this is the first non-Duck GA I've ever purchased, but I actually picked up 2 other non-Duck GA books in the auction. However, I will wait to reveal them until after they actually arrive, so as not to jinx myself.

Sounds like you are also a superstitious purchaser. Looking forward to seeing what your two other GA purchases are. thumbsup2.gif

Remember, you start by buying one and before you know it, you'll be hooked into buying many more. That's how most of us started. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Continuing the current theme of this thread, this is also my first More Fun. I've always loved the title for some reason.... but I've never had a single copy. Until now! cloud9.gif

MoreFun72.jpg

Great book Mike! Crack it and re-scan it so we can enjoy it too..