• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun Comics not owned by esquire

297 posts in this topic

Scrooge's hard work has motivated me to get off my *butter knife* and provide another example of Crandall swiping the incomparable Howard "Shaaaa-zam" Pyle

Wow, these guys were pretty shameless about their swiping.

I'd not seen Pyle's oil work before. I wonder if NC Wyeth (who I love) was influenced by him, because there are some similarities. The funny thing is if you'd shown the Pyle painting to me and said which modern artist do you think did it, I would've said Frazetta in a heartbeat.

Scrooge's hard work has motivated me to get off my *butter knife* and provide another example of Crandall swiping the incomparable Howard "Shaaaa-zam" Pyle

I'd not seen Pyle's oil work before. I wonder if NC Wyeth (who I love) was influenced by him, because there are some similarities. The funny thing is if you'd shown the Pyle painting to me and said which modern artist do you think did it, I would've said Frazetta in a heartbeat.

Wyeth was a graduate of the Howard Pyle school of art and was deeply influenced by Howard's example of how to be an artist.

Any look at the golden age of illustrated books in America has to start with Pyle because of the school he created and artists that he influenced.

I would've said Frazetta in a heartbeat.

FrazettaPyle1.jpg

FrazettaPyle2.jpg

I know this has nothing to do with the point you were making, but man, what gorgeous blues and yellows in that painting.

I desparately want to see this painting because the blues as reproduced in the Pyle book are hail.gif

Wyeth was a graduate of the Howard Pyle school of art and was deeply influenced by Howard's example of how to be an artist.

Any look at the golden age of illustrated books in America has to start with Pyle because of the school he created and artists that he influenced.

And you thought I was just a poseur! poke2.gif

I know this has nothing to do with the point you were making, but man, what gorgeous blues and yellows in that painting.

I desparately want to see this painting because the blues as reproduced in the Pyle book are hail.gif

So go to Delaware. You could've stopped there on your way down to Baltimore. confused-smiley-013.gif

Pyle influence? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wow, my subconscious is REALLY good!

Although in all honesty, the brushwork technique is what reminded me of Frazetta, not the images. Ironically, the two Frazetta paintings you showed, which mimic/copy Pyle's painting, are actually NOT good examples of similar brushwork technique. foreheadslap.gif

And you thought I was just a poseur! poke2.gif

Nope, just good with google. poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Actually you show good taste in your appreciation of Wyeth. I gave a few reproductions to my nieces of classic books that he illustrated.

BTW, nice copy RHG. There is nothing like those big fat GA Church books with sharp corners. But isn't there a better thread to post that in? stooges.gif

In an effort to get this thread back on track, and to pay homage to the fact that the Green Arrow made his debut on Smallville tonight, here is More Fun #78:

1438167-MoreFun78%28MH%29%282%29.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gifThis is the 1st More Fun MH I ever owned (bought from Verzyl back in 1990). It has some nice ink reflective spots in some of the black areas of the front cover that are really eye popping! I kept all my books in an air conditioned room in a vault so they would stay as white as the day I bought them.

West