• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hostile ebay seller?

81 posts in this topic

He might be a decent collector/person that might have gotten burned in the past by a dealer confused-smiley-013.gif

That's what I'm thinking. I posted a bunch of GA a few years back, and I got a ton of aggressive dealer inquiries/threats virtually telling me they were going to buy these books, and for how much.

Some dealers are nice, but a lot of them are pure scum.

There's no doubt gypsies, tramps and theives will be all over any seller who looks naive enough to end the auction early [at a rock bottom price.] However, a good deal of them are probably collectors as well as dealers.

ask the seller questions....

any color touch? rice paper? Coupons clipped? Chipping/brittleness of pages; especially the margins? Browning on inside of covers? Writing on any pages? Stains? If so, what type of stain(s)? creases? # of creases? Do they break color?

all i can think of right now..... tongue.gifpopcorn.gif

Do you think he's looking for "amatuer collectors" because they're easier to rip-off?? 893naughty-thumb.gif And is it only those evil sellers who ever have questions?? I almost always ask the seller a question or two, especially if the book is gonna cost me some good money. He must have had a bad experience in the past. confused-smiley-013.gif

"Money Glutten"? What the hell is that?

Perhaps he means gluten which is defined as a gray, sticky, nutritious mixture of proteins found in wheat. confused-smiley-013.gif

So, no gray, sticky, protein mixtures may bid on this book. sumo.gif

Even if he meant glutton, it still makes no sense. They really need to add a spell check to Ebay for sellers like this. If you are going to attempt to insult potential customers, at least spell it correctly.

Do you think he's looking for "amatuer collectors" because they're easier to rip-off?? 893naughty-thumb.gif And is it only those evil sellers who ever have questions?? I almost always ask the seller a question or two, especially if the book is gonna cost me some good money. He must have had a bad experience in the past. confused-smiley-013.gif

That is what I am wondering...I mean, if he wants to sell it to an "amateur" collector whom he apparently thinks would never bother asking any questions, then who does he think the Evil Professional Dealer will turn around sell the comic to...a "professional" collector??? insane.gif

What a ...

the book is "cherry except for the missing half page at the centerfold".

Weren't a lot of 40s books "short-paged?" That is, just a blank half page on one side of the centerfold. It may not be a flaw.

I was thinking something similar looking at the picture. Although I cannot think of a specific example where the text story is not on consecutive pages, I cannot see from the picture why he thinks half a wrap is missing. It looks like either the entire centerfold is missing or the rest of the text story is on an earlier page. Am I missing something?

From the picture it appears he has the book opened to the centerfold. If I was interested in the book, I would ask for a page count on both sides of the staple.

Looking close at the picture, i can't see any indication of a staple. it appears to be the page before or after the centerfold. Someone could be getting a good deal here, or the old "you get what you pay for" may apply. In either case it's more than i want to gamble with. confused-smiley-013.gif

Even if he meant glutton, it still makes no sense.

Glutton: One given to voracious and greedy eating and drinking.

So I guess money glutton makes sense.

Some would say that -- as comic collectors -- we are gluttons for punishment. tongue.gif

I'd never buy from someone like that. Here's a tip for Ebay sellers: what you write in your auction should have a decidedly positive tone to it. You want to tell people why they should buy your item. Don't use the space to rant and rave and make them realize that you skipped your meds this morning. 893naughty-thumb.gif He could be offering an Action #1 and I wouldn't bid on it. (OK, we know that's a lie - I'd use the Buy-It-Now, but you get my point).

what you write in your auction should have a decidedly positive tone to it. You want to tell people why they should buy your item. Don't use the space to rant and rave and make them realize that you skipped your meds this morning.

Yup. It's called Marketing 101. Who wants to transact with someone who is negative and threatening in a sales pitch?!?

However, we are talking about collectors... many would buy from Usama Bin Laden to get the book they "need."

Someone selling a commodity item wouldn't get away with threatening language.