• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Cover Artist

47 posts in this topic

I love Ditko, but not sure his *cover* work is in the top 10... frankly, some of his pre-hero monster covers and Dr. Strange covers might be as high on the list as his best Spidey covers...

My choices would include:

- Will Eisner - even if you're only looking at his Warren mag covers of the '70s

- Neal Adams - I like Jim Aparo, but from where I sit he learned everything he knew from Adams.

- Walt Kelly - just about the juciest funny animal covers ever.

- Carl Barks - some of the book-length stories in Four Color had great covers, such as 386 (first Uncle Scrooge, "Only a Poor Old Man").

- Jim Steranko - it doesn't get more stylized than this!

- Gil Kane - the best "up-the-schnozz" perspective work ever!

- Jack Kirby - in addition to all the incredible covers for Marvel in the '50s and '60s, let's not forget his cover work from the '40s on everything from Sandman to Boy Commandos!

Has anyone ever seen Nick Cardy's run on Aquaman in the late 60s? Those would have to rank with some of the best all time. And Bill Everett's run on the early Amazing Mystery Funnies were far ahead of what anyone else was doing at the time.

Golden Age , Lou Fine anything by him!! hail.gif

Bill Everett, have to agree with Buttock on amazing Mystery Funnies esp. Vol.2 # 5

L. B. Cole love his Catmans, Star comics etc.

Silver Age,Gil Kane, Jack Kirby, Murphy Anderson, Steranko

these are some of my all time faves.