• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people starting to actually appreciate great golden age comics?

206 posts in this topic

Let's make it more interesting, and a little tougher to choose 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......

pick one of these books to purchase (pretending you have real $$ on the line, and assuming you were confident they were both presently valued equally..which I think they would be both be around $100k).

*CGC Graded unrestored AF15 NM 9.4 with off-white pages OR

*unrestored raw Detective 27 in VG/F 5.0 with dark cream pages

As long as we are comparing AF 15 to other books, that would make a good or even trade, I would prefer an Action Comics #7 VF+ over an AF 15 VF+

Does Action 7 exist in VF+?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Metros website says they have an Action 7 in V.F- Unrestored

Let's make it more interesting, and a little tougher to choose 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......

pick one of these books to purchase (pretending you have real $$ on the line, and assuming you were confident they were both presently valued equally..which I think they would be both be around $100k).

hello all..

no brainer for me...tec 27....I'd go so far as to say in fr/gd with tan (but not brittle) pages....

spidey is great, but on any given day (true, not in 9.4, but you get my "perception" point) you could litterally buy 100+ AF15 in varying grades...on any given month/quarter, you are lucky to see one tec 27 for sale in any grade...

rick

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

Tec 27 baby! All the way!

I can already tell that this comparison was easier, not tougher to choose......so I'm raising the stakes!

CGC graded unrestored AF15 NM+ 9.6 with white pages OR

raw G+ unrestored Tec 27 with brown pages and a 3" x 2" piece missing from the back cover

Over an AF15 in V.F+ even? Suppose all those goldenage books you mention were in good condition.Would you still take them? There are many of those where financially it would be the wrong choice.I mean a good condition Sensation 1 for example would be no where near an AF15 V.F+ in value

I would say comparable grades, A VF+ over a VF+. I assumed we were talking about the same grades. Of course I would take a good action 1 over a vf+ af 15.

I can already tell that this comparison was easier, not tougher to choose......so I'm raising the stakes!

CGC graded unrestored AF15 NM+ 9.6 with white pages OR

raw G+ unrestored Tec 27 with brown pages and a 3" x 2" piece missing from the back cover

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm not sure that would be a fair trade. If these were the only two choices, I would have to take the AF 15, even though I'm not a spidy fan. I would of course, sell the 9.6 AF 15 and buy an Action. insane.gif

You guys know me. You know I'm a big-time, hard-core GA collector. But I would consider Showcase #4 and Amazing Fantasy #15 in 8.0 or better the two Silver Age books I'd consider making a run for, ahead of a number of GA keys.
Interesting that you picked these two books. They both have about the same book value, and both important keys. Good choices, and a tough choice, if you could only choose one.

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

I'd take the AF #15 if it had an old label and no shady history.

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

Interesting that you'd say that, since I believe that it would be far more likely that the hypothetical 5.0 Detective #27 would have achieved significant benefit from a dry clean and press, and maybe even a disassembly and press. It's a lot harder to take apart a silver age book than a golden age book without making a mess of the book at or near the staples, and a low or mid-grade GA book is more likely to receive an upgrade from a dry clean and press than an already high grade silver age book.

And with that, I think I owe Steve an apology for discussing pressing in this thread. For the record, I'd take an AF#15 in NM 9.4 over the Detective #27 any day, purely from an economic standpoint.

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

Interesting that you'd say that, since I believe that it would be far more likely that the hypothetical 5.0 Detective #27 would have achieved significant benefit from a dry clean and press, and maybe even a disassembly and press. It's a lot harder to take apart a silver age book than a golden age book without making a mess of the book at or near the staples, and a low or mid-grade GA book is more likely to receive an upgrade from a dry clean and press than an already high grade silver age book.

And with that, I think I owe Steve an apology for discussing pressing in this thread. For the record, I'd take an AF#15 in NM 9.4 over the Detective #27 any day, purely from an economic standpoint.

My guess is, that an unrestored Tec #27 5.0 would be worth about $150,000 An AF #15 9.4 would be worth about $90,000

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

My refernce was with respect to the book being possibly pressed (with or without disassembly) from a 9.0 to 9.4. I certainly wouldn't want to pay 5 times the amount if the book has that stigma attached to it.

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

My guess is, that an unrestored Tec #27 5.0 would be worth about $150,000 An AF #15 9.4 would be worth about $90,000

Not based on past sales histories. confused-smiley-013.gif

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

My refernce was with respect to the book being possibly pressed (with or without disassembly) from a 9.0 to 9.4. I certainly wouldn't want to pay 5 times the amount if the book has that stigma attached to it.

A 9.4 AF#15 sells for about 2.5 times what a 9.0 sells for.

What about a Detective #27 that used to be a 4.0 and is now a 5.0?

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

I haven't checked on past sales history, it was just a guess. Tec #27 is highly sought after, and since Mark Zaid got $200,000 for his 4.0 Action #1 I figure a Tec #27 5.0 would be worth $150,000 to the right buyer.

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

I haven't checked on past sales history, it was just a guess. Tec #27 is highly sought after, and since Mark Zaid got $200,000 for his 4.0 Action #1 I figure a Tec #27 5.0 would be worth $150,000 to the right buyer.

Based on past sales, a Detective #27 in 5.0 is probably worth around $100,000 (maybe $125,000 if you had the "right buyer," but that's really pushing it), and an AF#15 in true NM 9.4 (unlike the 9.2-in-a-9.4-holder White Mountain copy which sold for $150K in 2004 and then $126K in 2005) would sell for $150,000 or so, maybe a little more. I know Mark Wilson had his CGC 9.4 copy priced at $165,000 a couple of years ago and he doesn't have it listed on his site anymore.