• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

I accept your friendly wager bet of 1000.00. OK?

Anyone on the boards willing to hold $1000 from each of us so that neither one of us is able to back out of the bet? Preferably someone who can accept Paypal.

Also, any interest in going double or nothing that I can find evidence of at least 3 other Chicago pedigree comics that have also been cleaned or pressed?

Anyway the procedure known as "pressing" would not help the 9.0's bottom corner in this case unless the book was disassembled, and the book, as clear as day, has not been disassembled.

27_laughing.gif

You do know that CGC will still give a book a blue label even if its been dissassembled, right? And how you can definitively state that there is no evidence of dissassembly from a scan is beyond me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Filter, this should be easy money. thumbsup2.gif

I accept your friendly wager bet of 1000.00. OK?

Anyone on the boards willing to hold $1000 from each of us so that neither one of us is able to back out of the bet? Preferably someone who can accept Paypal.

Also, any interest in going double or nothing that I can find evidence of at least 3 other Chicago pedigree comics that have also been cleaned or pressed?

hi.gif I'd do it, but I'm probably biased. confused-smiley-013.gif

Filter, look at the staple placement on each scan. They are identical.

Nobody can duplicate the previous staple placement position after disassembly. Susan Cicconi has stated this. Ask Susan.

Also, if you've found any other Chicagos with evidence of clean/press, why not reveal them now?

Jivemofo, there has to be evidence of disassembly in this case for your argument of whether or not CGC gives disassembled books blue labels to have relevance here. What does a disassembled book in a blue label have to do with this case?

Hey Zillatoy, I bought 4 Chicago Timelys from you in your store back in '92. Actually 2 in the store, 2 by mail. I still have them, and they are beautiful. And they are not cleaned and pressed. Ha Ha. I'm sure you would remember me from back then. Also, it was cool seeing your Bat 1 in the store.

here are 2 books that you rarely see, much less where you have to choose! Both of these high grade Church books sold for $8,700. Which one would you choose, and why?

1513059-morefun7.jpg

...................or

1513059-funnypages.jpg

Funny Pages for me....dark cover with The Arrow on the cover...yup, that's the pick!

The Funny Pages obviously has a much more dramatic cover. But the unique aspect of the More Fun 37 is that it is one of only 3 Church books that say "Church" on the cover (the other 2 being Action 1 and New Adventure 26). For avid Church collectors, this adds to the MF's desireability, and makes it a tough call for me.

RHG

The Funny Pages obviously has a much more dramatic cover. But the unique aspect of the More Fun 37 is that it is one of only 3 Church books that say "Church" on the cover (the other 2 being Action 1 and New Adventure 26). For avid Church collectors, this adds to the MF's desireability, and makes it a tough call for me.

RHG

I'm pretty certain that one of the Church books in the McLaughlin collection has Church written on it. Sorry I can't remember which one -- it was one of the early ones.

Also, if you've found any other Chicagos with evidence of clean/press, why not reveal them now?

I don't want to keep spending hours researching which books have had work done when I'm always going to get responses like this anyway. There's nothing in it for me and its not my job.

Several Forum members have offered to hold the $$ for the bet. Please send me a PM letting me know who you are most comfortable with, how you want to arrange payment methods etc.

If you don't believe my statement of Chicago pedigrees not being cleaned and pressed, don't take my word for it-just ask Timely and Borock.

I own a few Chicago Timelys and I can tell you that one of them has had its cover cleaned. It was fully disclosed when I bought it. Still, it's a beautiful book that I will never sell.

I remember both times that Subby #3 went thru Heritage. I bid on it the first go around (didn't win it) and refused to bid on it the second time because of my suspicion it had been pressed. Not so sure about cleaning, but I do recall at the time when looking at the scans that it seemed pressed to me. Hence, no bid. Either way, we'll probably never know for sure.

One thing I have noticed about Chicago's is that on a lot of them, the upper left hand corner has very slight creases or "crunches" with no color breaks that downgrade the book. That is where you usually find the flaws on them, And a lot of times, that is the only flaw on the book. I believe they were stored originally in file folders and maybe that is why this is the case? confused-smiley-013.gif Overall, these books are incredibly gorgeous and are as desirable as they come.

My point is this: because many are perfect except for this one particular defect, it would probably make them decent candidates for pressing by someone who's looking to make a quick buck and is not a collector. So if someone told me a small amount of Chicago books have been pressed, it would not shock me. One thing going for them, hopefully, is most of these books are parked in permanent collections by people who truly care about the books. That's why they're so dang tough to acquire. So maybe what I just hypothesized doesn't happen too much, if at all. Just my observation and random thoughts, nothing more. 893blahblah.gif

Hi Johhny. nice post. Are you sure the book in question is a Chicago, and not an Olshefsky copy? Anyway, I'm sure the books you are referring to are beautiful.

What I particularly like about your post is your true love for Chicagos. Once you see them, you don't go back. Take care.

Hi Johhny. nice post. Are you sure the book in question is a Chicago, and not an Olshefsky copy? Anyway, I'm sure the books you are referring to are beautiful.

What I particularly like about your post is your true love for Chicagos. Once you see them, you don't go back. Take care.

You know what the funny part is? I posted the comment about the Subby 3 being 'probably' cleaned and pressed as a flippant comment with ZERO knowledge about that particular book only because it seems like every freaking book around is being worked on these days. Ironic (if not surprising) that it was in fact upgraded from 9.0 to a 9.6. The chicagos may not have had work on them when they first came to market but don't kid yourself - nothing is immune. If there is money to be made on a book that's in the market, someone will manipulate. That's just the way the game is being played these days - look around - there are ample threads to prove it. gossip.gif

Have fun and remember to send Filter that grand tongue.gif

Hi, what I see are 2 scans with vastly different brightness levels.That second scan almost blinds you, hard to tell the extent of the cleaning, if at all.

I see what you're saying about that faint pink stain on the first scan. Could be a localised stain removal. But I see the tight staple placement on the second scan which leads me to believe the book hasn't been disassembled, or hence, cleaned and pressed.

confused-smiley-013.gif Two pink stains were removed completely. The green one is considerably smaller in size, and there's a brown line that was at the top left of the back cover that is no longer there. Looks like cleaning to me...

Maybe the book had some dry cleaning (erasure) on the back cover, but certainly not aqueous or solvent cleaning. There are no oil-based stains that would necessitate (or benefit from) a solvent cleaning, and CGC would catch an aqueous cleaning with their eyes closed. The book might also have been pressed, but the brightness and contrast are so screwy on the 9.4 that it's impossible to see fine detail. This is one of the things about Heritage's scans that drives me nuts sometimes.