• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

This exercise is about like asking if I'd rather be able to fly or be invisible.

And this makes it a heck of a lot more fun than the Christo_pull_hair.gif I go through for my real purchasing decisions.

<<There are no guarantees>>

Agreed.

But the question is, why would you automatically assume the Subby 3 Chicago is cleaned and pressed to begin with? The guilty until proven innocent perspective?

I have no interest in explaining this over and over again. Believe what you want to believe. From now on when I see incorrect statements like "Chicago pedigrees are not cleaned or pressed" I am just going to keep my mouth shut.

And on the off chance you are confident in your beliefs, I would happily bet you $1000 I can find some sort of proof that the Subby #3 has undergone some sort of cleaning or pressing treatment. PM me if you are interested in a friendly wajor.

Agreed.

But the question is, why would you automatically assume the Subby 3 Chicago is cleaned and pressed to begin with? The guilty until proven innocent perspective?

I have no interest in explaining this over and over again. Believe what you want to believe. From now on when I see incorrect statements like "Chicago pedigrees are not cleaned or pressed" I am just going to keep my mouth shut.

And on the off chance you are confident in your beliefs, I would happily bet you $1000 I can find some sort of proof that the Subby #3 has undergone some sort of cleaning or pressing treatment. PM me if you are interested in a friendly wajor.

Filter,

Please don't hold back stuff like this Sub 3. I know the board is full of people that get quite upset when this stuff comes up and then try to make people out to be nut jobs, but there are a lot of us that appriciate it when this stuff comes to surface. So please keep it coming.

Greg

Why do certain people get upset when cleaning and pressing etc. and resubmissions get pointed out? There are certain people who jump all over it, trying hard to point out that it's either an isolated incident or that CGC doesn't regard it as resto etc... you'd think everyone would be happy to have this info so that they can make a more informed choice when purchasing books. It makes one wonder that's for sure. Just keep it in a blue label and note cleaned and pressed for more profit. angel.gif

I think the big worry is that there are negative connotations to Cleaning and Pressing. No matter which way you swing it, enough people consider it restoration that it hurts a book's value. Me, I have no problem long as I know and will pay market price. The Market Determines All......

I loathe cleaned books. I downgrade on price for cleaning faster than anything else in the "slight resto" category. It's irreversible and actually can change the texture of the comic if done the wrong way. As someone who cracks all my slabs and flips through my books, I'm very turned off by the weird slick feel of a cleaned book.

I believe water cleaning to be restoration, so I would always like to know if that has been done to it and then I'd like to see it priced accordingly. It's a lot like what faults bother a particular collector. One man's vg is another man's piece of trash. There are certain faults I don't like and others I can put up with. I don't like sun shadows, I can't stand them, rather not have them, but spine rolls don't bug me anywhere near as much. Some people feel that way about cleaning and pressing.

Agreed.

Filter,

Please don't hold back stuff like this Sub 3. I know the board is full of people that get quite upset when this stuff comes up and then try to make people out to be nut jobs, but there are a lot of us that appriciate it when this stuff comes to surface. So please keep it coming.

Greg

Ditto. I can count two instances where potentalized GA books I was interested in were "outed" in threads on the board here by knowledgeable Forumites. And I don't mean minor bumps in grade either, but the kind of grade bumps I find hard to fathom. When I'm considering buying a 9.0, I never thought to go looking through scans of 6.5s to find it in its original shape, yet, jumps like that do happen.

So Filter, please keep em coming. You've seen a ton of books the last few years, and have a wealth of info to share. Let's face it, fellow collectors are the best defense we have against getting jobbed in the current environment.

Archived/saved scans, GPAnalysis, honest dealers, & CGC are the others (sadly, in that order).

here are 2 books that you rarely see, much less where you have to choose! Both of these high grade Church books sold for $8,700. Which one would you choose, and why?

1513059-morefun7.jpg

...................or

1513059-funnypages.jpg

Funny Pages for me....dark cover with The Arrow on the cover...yup, that's the pick!

1513059-funnypages.jpg.81d859a09756f5f3c3ae01f30a42852a.jpg

Funny Pages

I've always wanted to own an Arrow cover -- there's something very appealliing in seeing an old style of art being applied to the new concept of the superhero.

Hey Bronty-I just looked at the Heritage scans on the Chicago Subby 3.

Concerning the subject of cleaning-how on earth are you going to find evidence of cleaning when the 9.0 scan is set at significantly brighter settings than its 9.6 scan?

The 9.6 shows so much more tiny little grain sized dots and aberrations than the 9.0 does. Two different settings- see my earlier post concerning the CAP 12.

There's no evidence of cleaning-case closed.

Concerning the subject of pressing-I've seen something here.The bottom right corner on the front cover of the 9.6 is sharper than its 9.0 counterpart. But that is not pressing. That corner was straightened by a quick and simple non-invasive procedure. As you know, the procedure known as "pressing" requires tremendous pressure on the entire cover. Anyway the procedure known as "pressing" would not help the 9.0's bottom corner in this case unless the book was disassembled, and the book, as clear as day, has not been disassembled.

If you don't believe my statement of Chicago pedigrees not being cleaned and pressed, don't take my word for it-just ask Timely and Borock.

I accept your friendly wager bet of 1000.00. OK?