• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Thank you Jack (selegue) for sending the info regarding George Tuska's artwork on Weird Comics #1. I'm sure George will be happy.

Thanks for the followup.

I was slow on the uptake because I rarely read this thread. I like the scans of primo copies of the books, but this side of the hobby (specifics clipped because I don't want to pick on anybody) doesn't excite me at all:

"...with this much $$ at stake, I would go with the hot book that had the upside ---- X. Y is flat / not exciting / not going anywhere from what I can tell, and the X in 9.4 seems to have "the magic" that could / should keep it escalating in desirability and value. With that ... cover with full bleed to the edge, I just can't imagine a whole bunch of 9.4's being handed out by CGC and flooding the market to the point that the book becomes devalued."

It's fine that that's the fun part of comics to some people, but to me that sounds more like a commodities market. Do the actual contents of the slab matter at all? Buying slabbed books with an emphasis on escalation and flipping? More power to you, but it's not for me. If I want to invest, I'll go to Wachovia, not Heritage.

Possibly no one else that feels the way I do reads this thread at all. Different strokes!

Jack

well, the books have been paired up by $$ value, so what you take issue with here is built into the game. And so it the value placed on one comic compared to another directly related to its content, which controls demand, tempered by the available supply.

Edited by aman619

but this side of the hobby (specifics clipped because I don't want to pick on anybody) doesn't excite me at all:

"...with this much $$ at stake, I would go with the hot book that had the upside ---- X. Y is flat / not exciting / not going anywhere from what I can tell, and the X in 9.4 seems to have "the magic" that could / should keep it escalating in desirability and value. With that ... cover with full bleed to the edge, I just can't imagine a whole bunch of 9.4's being handed out by CGC and flooding the market to the point that the book becomes devalued."

It's fine that that's the fun part of comics to some people, but to me that sounds more like a commodities market. Do the actual contents of the slab matter at all? Buying slabbed books with an emphasis on escalation and flipping? More power to you, but it's not for me. If I want to invest, I'll go to Wachovia, not Heritage.

Possibly no one else that feels the way I do reads this thread at all. Different strokes!

Jack

The books in question here sold for $9,000 each.....that's ALOT of $$$ for a comic book. If being intellectually honest with yourself ( not YOUR self...oneself ), it would be foolish to choose simply what you like in this price range, without thoughts of "down the road" consequences. My comments above were not made out of greed...they were based on what I would do if this was a "real life" decision I was making. When spending $75 on a comic book, you can 100% focus on strictly what you like.....when it becomes $9,000 spent, the investment / future outlook side must be dealt with, as every book that I own and everyone on these Boards owns will one day be sold, traded, or passed down....you can't take 'em with you! You don't want pay for a USDA Prime steak, and end up with a moldy slither of grissle !

Steve

I think the GL 76 is over rated. I would much rather have the GL 1. I think it is a sleeper book and will come into it's own one day. Maybe maybe not, but that's what I like.

Sleeper Golden Age Books... hm

What a cool idea, someone should write a column about those or something.

;)

Okay, what am I missing. Is there an inside joke here? (shrug)

but this side of the hobby (specifics clipped because I don't want to pick on anybody) doesn't excite me at all:

Jack

The books in question here sold for $9,000 each.....that's ALOT of $$$ for a comic book. If being intellectually honest with yourself ( not YOUR self...oneself ), it would be foolish to choose simply what you like in this price range, without thoughts of "down the road" consequences. My comments above were not made out of greed...they were based on what I would do if this was a "real life" decision I was making. When spending $75 on a comic book, you can 100% focus on strictly what you like.....when it becomes $9,000 spent, the investment / future outlook side must be dealt with, as every book that I own and everyone on these Boards owns will one day be sold, traded, or passed down....you can't take 'em with you! You don't want pay for a USDA Prime steak, and end up with a moldy slither of grissle !

Thanks for the explanation, Steve, but you really don't have to defend yourself. No offense meant by picking your post, but it was such a clear statement of the "maximize returns" philosophy that it jumped out at me. I know that I'm the oddball on this thread, not you. You really do make these "which one would you choose" decisions, buy, flip, and from what you've written, come out ahead in the long run while enjoying it all. More power to you!

I somehow was cursed with the "accumulation" gene without a hint of "competition to have the best" to accompany it. Investment/future just doesn't enter in when I buy a comic book. In this competition, Bedrock [?] answers "both" while I answer "neither". If someone dropped the GL 1 in my lap, I'd most likely fondle it, sell it quickly before the market collapses, buy reader copies of both books the next time prices roll back, and donate the other $8000 to Nature Conservancy or similar. Yes, some kind of a nut.

Jack, aka a moldy slither of grissle

well, the books have been paired up by $$ value, so what you take issue with here is built into the game. And so it the value placed on one comic compared to another directly related to its content, which controls demand, tempered by the available supply.

Yes, I realize that. It's just a comic book geek version of "Ginger or Mary Ann", all in good fun. I look at those two Green Lantern books, and with my inability to factor in "futures/investment", I can't begin to imagine choosing a common Bronze Age book like GL 76 over a relatively scarce Golden Age book like GL 1. No contest at all because I'm as likely to pay $9000 for GL 76 as I am to be elected president of the USA. See, I can play the game, but some of the choices puzzle me.

Jack

Yes, I realize that. It's just a comic book geek version of "Ginger or Mary Ann", all in good fun. I look at those two Green Lantern books, and with my inability to factor in "futures/investment", I can't begin to imagine choosing a common Bronze Age book like GL 76 over a relatively scarce Golden Age book like GL 1. No contest at all because I'm as likely to pay $9000 for GL 76 as I am to be elected president of the USA. See, I can play the game, but some of the choices puzzle me.

Jack

Mary Ann :cloud9:

Jack

The Professor :cloud9:

Jack

The Professor :cloud9:

If he was so smart, then why couldn't he figure a way off that damn island. hm

Yes, I realize that. It's just a comic book geek version of "Ginger or Mary Ann", all in good fun. ....

She's almost 70 years old. Do you want her slabbed?

Jack

That's gross Jack.

Yes, I realize that. It's just a comic book geek version of "Ginger or Mary Ann", all in good fun. ....

Jack

That's gross Jack.

My work is done here.

Jack

Jack

That's gross Jack.

My work is done here.

Jack

indeed it is :baiting:

gator

Jack

Steve

Very well said............. :golfclap:

Edited by fishbone

If Steve doesn't mind me hijacking his thread for a moment. The comparison of these two books this week in the ComicLink Auction has left me shaking my head. I can only imagine being set up at a convention just ten years ago and a guy bringing this first comic to me and offering a crisp $100 bill if I would trade it for the second. The times they are a'changin...

So... Green Lantern #76 in 9.4 for $9,030

RADDBCD12007824_16418.jpg

OR... Green Lantern #1 in 6.5 for $9,100?

RADA81F22007813_104614.jpg

Hmmm, interesting.. From an investment standpoint, I may go for the GL #76 as I see no price drop in this book.. But if it was something I'd keep for my collection, I'd take GL #1 as there are plenty of 76's out there and I'm a GA guy

GL 1.This is a easy choice.I love Neal Adams and the 76 storyline.But I can live witha vf 8.0 .

I think the GL 76 is over rated. I would much rather have the GL 1. I think it is a sleeper book and will come into it's own one day. Maybe maybe not, but that's what I like.

Doc,

Have you ever read the book?I think the art and story are great.

That being said 9k is insane.Give me the GL 1.

D