• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Ok this is a real possibility for me and I would like some other opinions!

Keep in mind:

1.) these are both books I want to own one day.

2.) The difficulty of finding another copy in the future

3.) How desirable and valuable each will be in the future (in other words which one would cost me more to buy 5 years from now)

I know Tec #31 is worth a little more (FMV wise) right now but disregard that fact.

Thanks!

:foryou:

lf.jpg

Tec1.jpg

I'd go with the #31.

There may be more unrestored mid-grade Tec #31s but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find in the market (mine is going nowhere for a long time - thanks Rick (thumbs u).

It does have a dust shadow but a great cover and pre-Robin Tec will give it greater upside over time.

The Tec #1 is a great comic but the buying pool is limited in comparison to the Batman collectors.

Now if it was a 2.5/3.0 unrestored Tec #1 it would be a different matter as the rarity factor could bridge the return gap.

Edited by 1koko

Tec 1 baby! I regret every day that I sold mine last year. I've sold several 31's over the years, don't really miss it. The Tec 1 I had was the only one I ever owned. Maybe I'll get one again someday.

I have owned 5 copies of tec 31 in the last year...I have only ever owned 1 copy of tec 1, but, depends on criteria...if you only want an unrestored tec 31 in mid grade, then it is tougher than a restored tec 1...but, there are far more tec 31 in "all" conditions available , when compared to tec 1, making it, a logical choice...

tough one...there are 5 unrestored tec 1 in the census, and 6 true "restored" copies (2 of them are resubs and the old labels have not been de-censused)...making it about 50/50....there are 20 unrestored tec 31's and 16 restored copies in the census (and I Know of at least 4 other non cgc restored copies, so about 50/50)....but, 4 x the number available...tec 1 is much tougher in any grade, but as 1koko said, is the demand for 31 more than 4x?

rick

Edited by Detective27Kid

For $ value the 31 but for the sake of all around coolness, the #1.

However, I'd get the #31 now and the #1 later simply because Batman's popularity will only increase with future Dark Knight films and drive up the price of the #31.

neither, the extensive restoration on the Det 1, and the fact that it is a Det 1 (never really floated my boat) would make me pass. As far as the Det 31, I would love to have a copy, but that one does not look like the given grade plus the dust shadow would make me hold the cash and wait for a nicer copy, unless I could get it for a 4.0 grade price.

neither, the extensive restoration on the Det 1, and the fact that it is a Det 1 (never really floated my boat) would make me pass. As far as the Det 31, I would love to have a copy, but that one does not look like the given grade plus the dust shadow would make me hold the cash and wait for a nicer copy, unless I could get it for a 4.0 grade price.

I agree. Dust shadows and sun shadows bother me big time. I'd invest in euros.

thats a sweet sweet Cap 1, and thats only a 7.5 Superman#1.

Best copy vs (at best) 3rd best copy (if you consider the MH copy that had its restoration removed really a blue lable 8.0... I do)...

BUT - - - Cap aint Superman! and Superman is "very scarce" in unrestored HG compared to other GA keys..

So put me down for the Superman, ratty and all in its lousy 7.5 slab.

thats a sweet sweet Cap 1, and thats only a 7.5 Superman#1.

Best copy vs (at best) 3rd best copy (if you consider the MH copy that had its restoration removed really a blue lable 8.0... I do)...

BUT - - - Cap aint Superman! and Superman is "very scarce" in unrestored HG compared to other GA keys..

So put me down for the Superman, ratty and all in its lousy 7.5 slab.

Do you know if there is a NM copy of Superman #1 out there?

Tec 1 vs Tec 31, its a close call but I'd have to go with the Tec 1. Tec 1 has always been a favorite of mine, and that particular copy has great eye appeal for the grade. (As opposed to that Tec 31 which has pretty weak eye appeal for a 5.0) Plus the Tec 1 is scarcer, and restoration has never bothered me. Both are really neat books though.

The Superman 1 vs Cap 1, personally I'd rather have the Superman 1. But at the same price, the Cap 1 would be by far the better value. So I'd take the Cap 1. (Maybe sell it and buy the Superman 1 with some of the profit)