• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Collector's And The Hatred Of Restoration

221 posts in this topic

It is just a thing of beauty to see a trashed key book with brittle pages and tape all over the cover that has had some flexibility restored to the paper and the ugly tape removed before it could damage the book any further. There is a real art to the restoration of comic books and to the extent that it is used to save books that are disintegrating (or darn close), it is a very good thing for the hobby.

agreed....to save a book is a great thing!

The shame is when a VG/F is restored to the apparent NM level due to greed Christo_pull_hair.gif....now that's a book that should have been left "as is".

Definately. I love seeing rare books in Fair that are almost falling apart restored to at whatever it turns out to be.

I have two books that I plan on doing this with. They aren't Action 1 or Detective 27 but they are tough books to find.

So you know they are Detective 36 & 37.

It is just a thing of beauty to see a trashed key book with brittle pages and tape all over the cover that has had some flexibility restored to the paper and the ugly tape removed before it could damage the book any further. There is a real art to the restoration of comic books and to the extent that it is used to save books that are disintegrating (or darn close), it is a very good thing for the hobby.

agreed....to save a book is a great thing!

The shame is when a VG/F is restored to the apparent NM level due to greed Christo_pull_hair.gif....now that's a book that should have been left "as is".

Definately. I love seeing rare books in Fair that are almost falling apart restored to at whatever it turns out to be.

I have two books that I plan on doing this with. They aren't Action 1 or Detective 27 but they are tough books to find.

So you know they are Detective 36 & 37.

Same here. To me, I want to be able to read it without the book falling apart. I just got a FR/G Buck Rogers #1 that I'm hoping can be improved to G/VG, like getting the cover solidly attached.

So.... Would the hatred of restoration be as strong, if it didn't detract from the value of the comics, like movie poster resto for example. I'm inclined to think not. Other than with poorly done or extensive resto, we wouldn't be having this conversation I believe. Heck,I bet there are a lot of people who complain about resto but buy mostly slabs and never crack them. I think that the purist among us would always hate resto and the investors also, unless it didn't hurt the bottom line.

My personal belief (and I could be wrong about this) is that if the people who hated restoration could actually hold one of Susan Cicconi's restored copies of Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27 in their hands after having seen the ratty "before" version, they'd "hate" restoration a lot less. This is not to say that they'd want to collect them or even that they'd think they were worth more money than they originally thought a restored copy would be worth. It is just a thing of beauty to see a trashed key book with brittle pages and tape all over the cover that has had some flexibility restored to the paper and the ugly tape removed before it could damage the book any further. There is a real art to the restoration of comic books and to the extent that it is used to save books that are disintegrating (or darn close), it is a very good thing for the hobby.

100% accurate! This is your best post that I have read. You have summarized, very eloquently, my feelings on the matter.

Well done! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

So.... Would the hatred of restoration be as strong, if it didn't detract from the value of the comics, like movie poster resto for example. I'm inclined to think not. Other than with poorly done or extensive resto, we wouldn't be having this conversation I believe. Heck,I bet there are a lot of people who complain about resto but buy mostly slabs and never crack them. I think that the purist among us would always hate resto and the investors also, unless it didn't hurt the bottom line.

My personal belief (and I could be wrong about this) is that if the people who hated restoration could actually hold one of Susan Cicconi's restored copies of Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27 in their hands after having seen the ratty "before" version, they'd "hate" restoration a lot less. This is not to say that they'd want to collect them or even that they'd think they were worth more money than they originally thought a restored copy would be worth. It is just a thing of beauty to see a trashed key book with brittle pages and tape all over the cover that has had some flexibility restored to the paper and the ugly tape removed before it could damage the book any further. There is a real art to the restoration of comic books and to the extent that it is used to save books that are disintegrating (or

darn close), it is a very good thing for the hobby.

I agree with this statement aesthetically .

100% accurate! This is your best post that I have read. You have summarized, very eloquently, my feelings on the matter.

My personal belief (and I could be wrong about this) is that if the people who hated restoration could actually hold one of Susan Cicconi's restored copies of Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27 in their hands after having seen the ratty "before" version, they'd "hate" restoration a lot less. This is not to say that they'd want to collect them or even that they'd think they were worth more money than they originally thought a restored copy would be worth. It is just a thing of beauty to see a trashed key book with brittle pages and tape all over the cover that has had some flexibility restored to the paper and the ugly tape removed before it could damage the book any further. There is a real art to the restoration of comic books and to the extent that it is used to save books that are disintegrating (or

"aesthetically "! Wow! Nicely done. wink.gif

"aesthetically "! Wow! Nicely done. wink.gif

I knew you would be on my case if I missed that one

My personal belief (and I could be wrong about this) is that if the people who hated restoration could actually hold one of Susan Cicconi's restored copies of Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27 in their hands after having seen the ratty "before" version, they'd "hate" restoration a lot less. This is not to say that they'd want to collect them or even that they'd think they were worth more money than they originally thought a restored copy would be worth. It is just a thing of beauty to see a trashed key book with brittle pages and tape all over the cover that has had some flexibility restored to the paper and the ugly tape removed before it could damage the book any further. There is a real art to the restoration of comic books and to the extent that it is used to save books that are disintegrating (or darn close), it is a very good thing for the hobby.

Nicely reasoned. All old books that are well-loved, have a character and integrity that I would hate to see disappear in a money-driven quest for a better appearance --but if you can't read them for fear of disintegration, why not rescue them?

If I were thinning out my collection, the first books I would want to get rid of would be the restored books, no matter how minor. What I'm wondering.. is if there are a lot of dealers/collectors out there with a lot of restored books just sitting around, who would like to remove the stigma attached to restored books so they could move inventory. Let's face it, there are only so many Action 1's out there to be rescued from brittleness.

If I were thinning out my collection, the first books I would want to get rid of would be the restored books, no matter how minor. What I'm wondering.. is if there are a lot of dealers/collectors out there with a lot of restored books just sitting around, who would like to remove the stigma attached to restored books so they could move inventory. Let's face it, there are only so many Action 1's out there to be rescued from brittleness.

Most dealers with large inventories have a large number of restored books, whether they know it or not, At least if you apply the most stringent standards of restoration, which include markings that do not actually improve the grade and even books that were placed under heavy objects to make them flatter.

When you say "If I were thinning out my collection, the first books I would want to get rid of would be the restored books, no matter how minor" does that mean you'd "thin out" a minor-restored Detective 27 in favor of your gem unrestored 9.8 copies of "Wolverine Unlimited"?

Of course I don't know if you even have such rare and desirable items as a 9.8 wolverine unlimited. I'm just wondering it your statement means that state of restoration is more of a concern than content.

if you apply the most stringent standards of restoration, which include markings that do not actually improve the grade and even books that were placed under heavy objects to make them flatter.

Yoo-Hoo ...Bluechip....these 2 things are not restoration

Most dealers with large inventories have a large number of restored books, whether they know it or not, At least if you apply the most stringent standards of restoration, which include markings that do not actually improve the grade and even books that were placed under heavy objects to make them flatter.

When you say "If I were thinning out my collection, the first books I would want to get rid of would be the restored books, no matter how minor" does that mean you'd "thin out" a minor-restored Detective 27 in favor of your gem unrestored 9.8 copies of "Wolverine Unlimited"?

Of course I don't know if you even have such rare and desirable items as a 9.8 wolverine unlimited. I'm just wondering it your statement means that state of restoration is more of a concern than content.

I wouldn't consider Detective 27 or Action 1 in the thinning out process unless I had another unrestored copy and maybe not even then. The scarcity of those books is so high and are usually worth restoring if it's a question of saving them form crumbling into pieces. I only collect GA so I know nothing about that other book you mentioned. By the way, I have none of those books.

This is where you lose me in your arguements everytime... you go to absurd extremes in your examples. Why use a vastly expensive book against a book that's around what... $50? Why not use your Tec 27 example with a Whiz #1 or even a 9.8 Planet 49? At least there's a similarity here.

But to answer your question... depends on why the collection is being thinned... if it's about money then maybe you do sell the Tec 27. Seriously... how much more can you buy with that money then the money from the Wolverine? If it's about value then you keep the Tec 27 because it's worth more. If it's only about high grade then you never bought the Tec 27 in the first place. If it's about just making space then you sell the Wolverine because you generally make space by selling the less valuable things.

if you apply the most stringent standards of restoration, which include markings that do not actually improve the grade and even books that were placed under heavy objects to make them flatter.

Yoo-Hoo ...Bluechip....these 2 things are not restoration

What he said... Markings can and should be defects, but not resto makepoint.gif

This is where you lose me in your arguements everytime... you go to absurd extremes in your examples. .

Actually, the absurd example is kind of the point. It's meant to answer the notion that comics (or anything else) should be categorized primarily by condition numbers and state of restoration.

Which is not to say the poster even meant it that way. But I notice people more and more using numbers and slab colors to describe their collections, as opposed to whether their books have rarity, or significant, or great art, or sentimental value.