• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay...How much does water stains effect a books grade...pictures inside

18 posts in this topic

Just received these 2 in the mail yesterday and I'm a bit conflicted. Sellar had them as FINE+. Never indicated they had water stains or the one had rust on staples. I really wanted these for my collection and have been searching for a long time.

So what does this do to the grade on these? Also, these are hard books to find in decent shape so what should I do? Return them...ask for partial refund?

Sensation Comics 93 This a rather nice book but has a water stain. See pictures

You really can't see the front cover stain. Its in the top left corner.

Sensation93200dpi.jpg

Front interior shot of the front stain.

Sensation93fi200dpi.jpg

You can really see the stain on the back cover. Never again will I buy a raw book without a back cover scan.

Sensation93b200dpi.jpg

Here is an interior shot of the interior of the back cover.

Sensation93i200dpi.jpg

This second book is really disappointing. The staples have rust frustrated.gif. It also has the water stains that were not mentioned.

Senation 94

Sensation94200dpi.jpg

You can really see how big the watermark is on the front cover by looking at the interior cover.

Sensation94if150dpi.jpg

Dang rusted staples and water stain on back!

Sensation94b200dpi.jpgChristo_pull_hair.gif

Back interior cover shot. See watermark at top.

Sensation94ib200dpi.jpg

you books appear to be more in the VG/F range due to the condition flaws you have pointed out...they have a FINE+ appearance overall, but not when you factor in the water stains and rusty staples....seller was pretty aggressive with this grading, and these issues should have definately been pointed out and mentioned in the ad..he new they were there.

I'm just bummed because I thought I was scoring two nice books at a smidge over guide. Then I saw the waterstains when they arrived and my heart sunk. Bummer. So what should I do you think I should do?

Contact the seller immediately and try to work something out or return the books (it's the only way for these people to learn to pay more attention and/or to have some integrity).

STEVE (making mine Larson)

I'm just bummed because I thought I was scoring two nice books at a smidge over guide. Then I saw the waterstains when they arrived and my heart sunk. Bummer. So what should I do you think I should do?

Contact the seller immediately and try to work something out or return the books (it's the only way for these people to learn to pay more attention and/or to have some integrity).

STEVE (making mine Larson)

What he said..

If you paid less than vg + price you might want to keep them even if they were overgraded. But if you ask for a refund you may get one, or you may discover the seller overgraded on purpose. The surest sign that he did it on purpose will be if he is unpleasant when you point it out. I have found the most effecitve and honest way to get good results from overgrading sellers is to ppoint out politely that you can see how it might have been overlooked but that if the defect had been noted you feel pretty sure you wouldn't have had to bid so high to win the auction

The sellar and I exchanged a few emails about working out a deal. Then the phone rings and it was him asking what he could do to make things right. He thought that email exchange would take to long and be confusing. In the end he refunded 30% of the purchase price. I thought that was fair as the books do present well. So in the end we both are happy.

I honestly felt that he wanted to make the situation right. He didn't realized the books had the back cover stains. I think he felt bad because I even asked about water damage before buying.

The sellar and I exchanged a few emails about working out a deal. Then the phone rings and it was him asking what he could do to make things right. He thought that email exchange would take to long and be confusing. In the end he refunded 30% of the purchase price. I thought that was fair as the books do present well. So in the end we both are happy.

I honestly felt that he wanted to make the situation right. He didn't realized the books had the back cover stains. I think he felt bad because I even asked about water damage before buying.

Sounds like it worked out very nicely.

Yeah it worked out okay in the end.

Those are 2 very nice copies, water stains and all. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah it worked out okay in the end.

Those are 2 very nice copies, water stains and all. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. I'm trying to put a run together of 80-106 in 5.0 or better. Talk about slow going(4 so far in 5.0 or better and these 2). I currently have a lead on another 93 in raw vf-. Priced sllightly over guide. Should get the scan any day. yay.gif

I wonder if the seller knew you were discussing this on these boards, if so then these boards have served a usefull purpose. Also, was the 30 percent his first offer?

I wonder if the seller knew you were discussing this on these boards, if so then these boards have served a usefull purpose. Also, was the 30 percent his first offer?

I was first offered other books. Since he had nothing else that I collect or in the grade need I was given a refund. The 30% was fair as I would have paid that amount if I knew about the defects.

I'll continue to look for upgrades however.

Can't cross them off the list just yet.