• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smorgasbord of Ultra-High Grade Western Penn Flash

52 posts in this topic

I might be a liitle behind on the news here, but Tim, why the sale?

You had 5 hours on Monday night to ask me that question! makepoint.gif

Hoping to buy a house... gossip.gif

Those are smoking copies, Tim, but aren't you buying in Hong Kong?

Don't you really mean "large closet"? tongue.gif

Hoping to buy a house... gossip.gif

Those are smoking copies, Tim, but aren't you buying in Hong Kong?

Don't you really mean "large closet"? tongue.gif

Good point. frown.gif Actually, with the proceeds from the Flashes alone, I could probably afford to buy a covered parking space! yay.gif

To buy a detached house, I`d need to sell 10 copies of MH Action #1... to JP. 27_laughing.gif

For a townhouse, I`d only need 5 copies. tongue.gif

That 80 Page Giant is definitely a Green River. (in my opinion)

Compare it to the 9.2 on my site. If the date says Feb 8, then it's a GR.

Addendum: This copy is dated Feb. 9, but it does look like a GR. So they finished dating them the next day. confused-smiley-013.gif

Shin, you had nine copies of this book listed in your GR list.

Addendum: This copy is dated Feb. 9, but it does look like a GR. So they finished dating them the next day. confused-smiley-013.gif

Feb 8, 1965 is a Monday. Green Rivers tend to be date stamped on Tuesdays.

I think the one you have is an anomaly actually... and that the majority are date stamped February 9, 1965 like this one.

Maybe some overzealous clerk that wasn't going to be there the next day? OR.. that was the FIRST comic they stamped and then they realized they had the wrong day on the stamper. (I do that sometimes with my office stampers.)

Yep, could be. I don't own the book....just grabbed the scan from an Ebay auction. thumbsup2.gif And Tim's will be waaaay out of my league budget wise.

I actually had one of those 80-Page Giant #9s.. but I don't remember what happened to it. foreheadslap.gif

I think the one you have is an anomaly actually... and that the majority are date stamped February 9, 1965 like this one.

Maybe some overzealous clerk that wasn't going to be there the next day? OR.. that was the FIRST comic they stamped and then they realized they had the wrong day on the stamper. (I do that sometimes with my office stampers.)

Thanks Shin. Appreciate the input. I hope whoever ends up buying it has read this thread, so they can consider getting CGC to recognize its lineage.

So is it possible that there would be a February 2, 1965 Green River? I'd pay a LOT for one.

Wow! I actually hadn't checked out the auctions in several days. The bids are still all over the place, though. While #139 may have attracted a very strong price already, #140 and #141, which in my opinion are tougher to find in NM, are still sitting with fairly token bids. In fact, when Heritage initially put up the previews and didn't put up #140 until near the end, Linmoth was instantly PMing me asking me if it was going to be in the auction.