• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atomic Comics Disaster!

17 posts in this topic

From Scoop today:

Atomic Comics Crashed, Flooded

Industry News, Scoop, Friday, November 03, 2006

Comic book retailer Atomic Comics was definitely the recipient of more tricks than treats on Halloween this past Tuesday. Their Mesa, Arizona store had a car drive through the front window. In addition to the damage that the crash alone caused to the location and its contents, it caused a water line to rupture, flooding the store.

"Early Tuesday morning, a confused motorist mistook the front window of the Atomic Comics Mesa Superstore for the US 60 on ramp. Unfortunately, instead of the typical gridlocked traffic one would expect on the freeway, the driver found--or rather plowed through--a plate glass window, a few racks of comics, and a wall containing the main water pipes for the building. While structural damage was minimal, the broken pipes sent an arc of water shooting about 60 feet into the center of the store under firehose-type pressure, destroying countless comics and merchandise," the company posted on their blog.

You can see the local Fox affiliate's coverage by clicking here.

The company will re-supply the store from their other locations in the short term.

You can visit Atomic Comics' blog at http://atomiccomics.blogspot.com and see more photos and comments about the damage.

Scoops article

Atomic Comics update

ATOMIC COMICS MESA STORE - AN UPDATE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week Atomic Comics’ owner Mike Malve sent out a brief newsletter with the report that the Mesa location of Atomic had been virtually destroyed by a car driving through the front of the store, and resultant water damage from a ruptured pipe.

Since then, Malve has had some time to asses, and has checked back in with an update, both on the store, and the driver of the car.

Malve wrote:

Please make sure that everybody understands no one was hurt and the kids who caused all this damage weren’t even arrested, though they were charged with criminal damage and leaving the scene of a crime. The story we're hearing from the police is that the young girl just lost control of the vehicle when she was attempting to park in front of my store. The brakes didn't work so, confused, she hit the gas, rocketing herself and her car through the Mesa store front. She then pulled out and took off. The police and the insurance companies are now dealing with them so they are completely out of my immediate concerns. I am just happy that no one was badly hurt in such a terrible accident. For the record, I have no ill feelings towards her. I was sixteen years old once and made plenty of stupid mistakes myself that usually go hand in hand with being that age.

I just want everyone to know that everything is okay... or at least "under control," and to thank the hundreds of well wishers who keep emailing and calling me. The response I got yesterday was overwhelming from the likes of Joe Quesada, Jeff Loeb, Mark Millar, and far too many more to name. Publishers have offered to help me restock my store with their product and even my fellow retailers have offered to replace stock. I would like to personally thank Phil at Coliseum in Florida for his phone call this morning. Phil, having lost one of his shops in a hurricane, knows exactly what I am going through right now and offered me lots of sound advice based on his experience. I will get back to each and everyone of you in time, but right now I have to deal with the situation at hand.

We'll be regularly updating the progress as we rebuild the shop at AtomicComics.com. If there is a bright side to this, it's that the Mesa store was our oldest and this gives us an excuse to rebuild her bigger and better than before.

Oh, and anyone going to Wizard World Texas, please stop by the Atomic booth and show the Atomic crew some love. That was our flagship store and losing her has been very emotional for the employees so give 'em a hug.

Thank you to all,

Mike Malve

I should care more about this since they're a home town store and the biggest chain in AZ, but the fact that they're all *spoon* over there kind of takes away from feeling bad. As for the comics lost in the flood... $500 on ebay should replace the stock. They carry almost nothing but horrible condition late bronze, mid grade 80's, and a buttload of 90's dreck. Any SA that they have is on the walls along with their GA stuff (by GA their managers mean early X-Men and FF foreheadslap.gif).

In the end they'll be fine anyway. They have a "warehouse" of comics out in mesa as well so it's not like they're hurting on inventory. Insurance will pay them off and the jugernaut that is atomic will be back to selling X-Men #1 (90's version) for $20 (seriously).

Man, talk about adding insult to injury! No only to have a car crash into your store but to have the pipes burst.. Man, that's some terrible, terrible luck.. Hope the store and car insure helps get things in order.

Yuo knwo that cars insurance company will try to deny paying byt saying if the building didnt want to be hit it should not have been there!

I should care more about this since they're a home town store and the biggest chain in AZ, but the fact that they're all *spoon* over there kind of takes away from feeling bad. As for the comics lost in the flood... $500 on ebay should replace the stock. They carry almost nothing but horrible condition late bronze, mid grade 80's, and a buttload of 90's dreck. Any SA that they have is on the walls along with their GA stuff (by GA their managers mean early X-Men and FF foreheadslap.gif).

In the end they'll be fine anyway. They have a "warehouse" of comics out in mesa as well so it's not like they're hurting on inventory. Insurance will pay them off and the jugernaut that is atomic will be back to selling X-Men #1 (90's version) for $20 (seriously).

I couldn't agree more with Apotheosis thumbsup2.gif. The last time Atomic Comics had any real significant back issue stock of Silver Age let alone any Golden Age was ten years ago. The past few times I have been in the store where the accident occurred all l saw was the kind of hot, new junk you can find on eBay for a fraction of the price Atomic charges. These days they are more about guerilla marketing and self-promotion than selling anything anyone on these boards would want or collect.