• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visiting my LCS the other day..........

22 posts in this topic

I had stopped by my LCS the other day to satisfy my weekly fix of moderns when I was shocked to see something I had not seen in a long time. Two young kids with their father sifting thru the 50 cent bin and picking out comics. They weren't there waiting bored while their father went thru the bins. They were eagerly picking out books, talking about cool covers, and asking their dad where were the batman's? They were about seven and nine. I was very pleaseantly surprised to see this. Maybe there is a future for our hobby afterall....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Or...maybe the dad realized the benefits of putting the kids to work instead of having them whine asking when they can leave. That's what I've learned to do with my wife when I visit my LCS - "honey, we can leave quicker if you help..."

The eternal optimist I see... poke2.gifstooges.gif

Well, they looked and sounded like they enjoyed being there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm more suprised your LCS had a .50 cent bin. 893whatthe.gif

I can't even name a LCS that has that.

I think it's a clearance sale or something like that.

Most of the LCS around here dont even have back issues, let alone bargain bins.

Now, that I think about it. That is a great way to get kids reading comics. We know how cost prohibitive most of the new comics are for kids. And I'm sure lots of LCS's have stock that they can't move. By having a "clearance sale" it gives kids better access to these comics.

Most of the LCS around here dont even have back issues, let alone bargain bins.

Mine has a ton. Not all are bagged. Most are in beater condition but they are still good enough to read.

Now, that I think about it. That is a great way to get kids reading comics. We know how cost prohibitive most of the new comics are for kids. And I'm sure lots of LCS's have stock that they can't move. By having a "clearance sale" it gives kids better access to these comics.

The only problem with that is that they still need a way to get to the shop. Most shops that I've seen may be in decent locations, but aren't in very kid-friendly/accessible locations, unfortunately.

On a brighter note, a couple of months ago on a Saturday, I was at the shop where I buy my new comics and there were younger kids everywhere. They all seemed quite happy (other than when their parents told them they'd reached their limit tongue.gif). I was amazed. I don't think I've ever seen that many kids at a comic shop.

The only problem with that is that they still need a way to get to the shop. Most shops that I've seen may be in decent locations, but aren't in very kid-friendly/accessible locations, unfortunately.

On a brighter note, a couple of months ago on a Saturday, I was at the shop where I buy my new comics and there were younger kids everywhere. They all seemed quite happy (other than when their parents told them they'd reached their limit tongue.gif). I was amazed. I don't think I've ever seen that many kids at a comic shop.

thumbsup2.gif mine is in a pretty decent location. It's next to a fairly large mall. But you are right that is an other obstacle.

My LCS has a $0.25 bin.

With a 50 cent, and a one dollar bin.

Nothing worth going through might I add.

And I don't do back issue shopping from them either.

Again, nothing worth looking for.

Maybe there is a future for our hobby afterall.......

And i'm proof. sumo.gif

Sorry, but I don't think this hobby now is aimed anywhere at kids. Remember $3-$5 for a new issue! Nobody's going to convince me that back in the day .25 is worth then what $3 is worth now. (or .60-.75 in my time.)

Agreed, that's why I thought it would be a good idea for stores to have 50 cent bins to offer kids stuff they could afford.