• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 27 on Ebay

197 posts in this topic

Not that it really matters, but anyone bidding on that book should know that the Detective #27 has undisclosed restoration (and frankly, not enough restoration in my opinion). yay.gif

how do you know that it has restoration?

Do any other of the listings have it as well?

You can see that a piece was replaced at the bottom left of the front cover (and also at the same spot on the back cover), and the upper spine corner looks like it might also have a piece replaced (also a little above the top staple, plus some possible tear seals in the red logo bar along the spine -- but I'm not sure about those). It looks like there might also be some color touch at various spots along the spine. But the book is so low grade in its present state, I doubt it makes a difference in value. If I bought this book, I'd do what Ian Levine did with his copy and get it restored properly. Matt Nelson did a great job on Ian's book.

I can't see definite restoration on any of the others. The Cap #2 is missing at least one page though.

You can see that a piece was replaced at the bottom left of the front cover (and also at the same spot on the back cover), and the upper spine corner looks like it might also have a piece replaced (also a little above the top staple, plus some possible tear seals in the red logo bar along the spine -- but I'm not sure about those). It looks like there might also be some color touch at various spots along the spine.

FFB,

even though I voted for you as most knowledgable in the 'Boards Awards" thread, I am going to disagree with you on this 893whatthe.gif.

Of course there is no way for either of us to know for sure, especially with the sellers poor auction pics, but this book looks and feels ( gut feeling ) unrestored to me.

I see the areas of the book you are concerned with, and all of them could look funny or "suspicious" due to variations in the reflection of light due to multiple tears, small missing pieces, and creases in both the front and back cover. Addtionally, it almost wouldn't make sense to have work done on just a few relatively small areas of the book, since overall it is in such a worn condition. You would think if any work was done, the front and back cover would be sealed and re-attached to the book. I'm going with my gut feeling of unrestored, with poor pics and light reflectivity causing image inconstancies....( and since I have been bidding, I sure hope I'm right 893crossfingers-thumb.gif)

You can see that a piece was replaced at the bottom left of the front cover (and also at the same spot on the back cover), and the upper spine corner looks like it might also have a piece replaced (also a little above the top staple, plus some possible tear seals in the red logo bar along the spine -- but I'm not sure about those). It looks like there might also be some color touch at various spots along the spine.

FFB,

even though I voted for you as most knowledgable in the 'Boards Awards" thread, I am going to disagree with you on this 893whatthe.gif.

Of course there is no way for either of us to know for sure, especially with the sellers poor auction pics, but this book looks and feels ( gut feeling ) unrestored to me.

I see the areas of the book you are concerned with, and all of them could look funny or "suspicious" due to variations in the reflection of light due to multiple tears, small missing pieces, and creases in both the front and back cover. Addtionally, it almost wouldn't make sense to have work done on just a few relatively small areas of the book, since overall it is in such a worn condition. You would think if any work was done, the front and back cover would be sealed and re-attached to the book. I'm going with my gut feeling of unrestored, with poor pics and light reflectivity causing image inconstancies....( and since I have been bidding, I sure hope I'm right 893crossfingers-thumb.gif)

Overstreet is $31,000 in Good...I posted first bid at $300.... yay.gif You guys are getting a bit wowed with a fairly brittle split cover copy with below average page quality for a GA book. Of course it is TEC 27... thumbsup2.gif

Even though the seller has said the book is unrestored...I'd say it's very possible that the book has had amateur glue work on the inside of the front cover along the spine to keep the bigger chips/pieces in place. The discolorations are somewhat indicative of that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

An amateur probably wouldn't have the guts to really go after a full spine replacement, but smearing glue...how hard can that be?

Overstreet is $31,000 in Good

Overstreet Schmoverstreet !

They are often WAY off when it comes to big Icon books like this and Action 1.

as for you opinion also suggesting possible restoration...now its 2 to 1 ( against me ). I hope I am not suffering from "resto denial" because I want the book as a low grade unrestored copy ...just because you want soemthing to be, does not make it so. If the overall concensus of others also suggests restored over unrestored, than I have to go back to FFB once AGAIN, with the "you were right, I was wrong" speech...gets a little embarassing after a few times. tongue.gif

either way, I am happy to have "skin in the game" on this great book!

I know the Overstreet is just that....but....are you saying an unrestored Fair at best will be selling for over 30K.....It needs restoration, so how much would a restored Fine cost assuming that's what it could be repaired to...and how much would the restoration cost to get there?

The seller said no restoration...so if you want to take him on his word and if you can pick it up in person....

I know the Overstreet is just that....but....are you saying an unrestored Fair at best will be selling for over 30K.....

yes ( this book - over $30K...it's at $21k after 12 hours!)...it's Tec 27...and from a techincal grading standpoint, this is more like a Good- 1.8...it is stronger than a fair 1.0 ( IMO )

I know the Overstreet is just that....but....are you saying an unrestored Fair at best will be selling for over 30K.....

yes ( this book - over $30K...it's at $21k after 12 hours!)...it's Tec 27...and from a techincal grading standpoint, this is more like a Good- 1.8...it is stronger than a fair 1.0 ( IMO )

disagree on the 1.8 assessment...but all in the eye of the beholder...I'd say 1.0 if split/pieces missing along spine and lower page quality etc. 1.5 at best if the cover was still in one piece/detached with a few missing pieces etc.

We'll see if it climbs another 21K in the next 12 hours. confused-smiley-013.gif..then call me impressed. gossip.gif

actually I'm pretty amazed at the 21K so far, but all it takes is for two of you big spenders to want the book...duke it out early or later....are you going to place a 40K snipe on the auction...

actually I'm pretty amazed at the 21K so far, but all it takes is for two of you big spenders to want the book...duke it out early or later....are you going to place a 40K snipe on the auction...

I believe I have said enough as an active participant on this auction. I do not want to do or say anything that would alter the outcome, or be unfair to any other interested parties....but no harm in asking.

FFB,

Sorry Showcase, but I am not wrong. You can see the unpainted Japan paper plain as day in the picture of the back cover and you can see red bleed-through on the picture of the inside front cover. The colors and artwork are slightly off on the chunk on the front cover. If you don't want a restored book, then you don't want this copy.

Sorry Showcase, but I am not wrong. You can see the unpainted Japan paper plain as day in the picture of the back cover and you can see red bleed-through on the picture of the inside front cover. The colors and artwork are slightly off on the chunk on the front cover. If you don't want a restored book, then you don't want this copy.

Then here is what I will do FFB, to show my gratitude and appreciation for your keen eye.....I will give you one of these now flowerred.gif

and 11 more for the future times that I must admit that I was wrong and you were right....that makes a dozen

flowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gif

hello all...

I bought an unrestored fair 1.0 (missing part of back cover), with a complete tec 27 back cover for $47,000 this year.. ($39,500 for the book and $7,500 for the back cover, I believe, is how it broke out)...my intention was to marry the back cover, and have a nice fn/vf looking restored copy (with minimal resto)........so, $40,000 for a fair copy alone is "fair"...

rick