• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 27 on Ebay

197 posts in this topic

Sorry Showcase, but I am not wrong. You can see the unpainted Japan paper plain as day in the picture of the back cover and you can see red bleed-through on the picture of the inside front cover. The colors and artwork are slightly off on the chunk on the front cover. If you don't want a restored book, then you don't want this copy.

I agree about the Japan paper (or some type of paper at least), but where do you see the bleed-through? The inside front cover is only half pictured and the red spot doesn't match with a place on the front cover where red would have been used (lower left interior, lower right front).

Take a look at the interior front cover spine edge. Looks like glue staining and some amateur piece reattachment as well. Bottom edge of the interior front cover also might have a tear seal.

VERY VERY small chance that this book is truly unrestored.

If you don't want a restored book, then you don't want this copy.

This is also an example of the how the Boards are beneficial to all of us...the combined insight and comments from others create a safer environment to deal in by having an extra 400 sets of eyes on potentially high dollar transactions such as this.

No one of us could possibly know everything about a particular book, subject or concept.........but thru everyone here collectively, you can get an expert on just about anything you could possibly think of.

To all of you who look out for the rest of us I say thumbsup2.gif

I agree about the Japan paper (or some type of paper at least), but where do you see the bleed-through? The inside front cover is only half pictured and the red spot doesn't match with a place on the front cover where red would have been used .

...........and another example of the risk of buying raw books on Ebay...although sometimes you have no choice if the book is scarce ( as in this case) and that is how it is being offered for sale. This thread has only been active since last night, and there are already several differing views ( understandibly ) regarding potential resto work done, and no one will REALLY know until they've bought the book with a sizable investment at stake, and have it checked out by an expert.

There is soemthing to be said for only buying slabbed books....at least you know what you're getting.

I agree about the Japan paper (or some type of paper at least), but where do you see the bleed-through? The inside front cover is only half pictured and the red spot doesn't match with a place on the front cover where red would have been used .

...........and another example of the risk of buying raw books on Ebay...although sometimes you have no choice if the book is scarce ( as in this case) and that is how it is being offered for sale. This thread has only been active since last night, and there are already several differing views ( understandibly ) regarding potential resto work done, and no one will REALLY know until they've bought the book with a sizable investment at stake, and have it checked out by an expert.

There is soemthing to be said for only buying slabbed books....at least you know what you're getting.

If you were going to have it professionally restored...then it might be a good one to get anyway, but if you just wanted an unrestored copy that you could slab, and not worry about the cover being detached and split....then I think we're in agreement that this is not the one for you. thumbsup2.gif

Sorry Showcase, but I am not wrong. You can see the unpainted Japan paper plain as day in the picture of the back cover and you can see red bleed-through on the picture of the inside front cover. The colors and artwork are slightly off on the chunk on the front cover. If you don't want a restored book, then you don't want this copy.

I agree about the Japan paper (or some type of paper at least), but where do you see the bleed-through? The inside front cover is only half pictured and the red spot doesn't match with a place on the front cover where red would have been used (lower left interior, lower right front).

Take a look at the interior front cover spine edge. Looks like glue staining and some amateur piece reattachment as well. Bottom edge of the interior front cover also might have a tear seal.

VERY VERY small chance that this book is truly unrestored.

The bleed-through is circled in blue on this picture. The bleed colors are consistent with what is on the other side.

interior-red.jpg

I shell out over a grand on a restored Supes #2 from Big lou and then this guy sells one the next week.

I wonder how much it will go for? Given all the chipping and that the covers are almost separated and the page quality it does not look like more than a 1.8/ 2.0 to me

The bleed-through is circled in blue on this picture. The bleed colors are consistent with what is on the other side.

interior-red.jpg

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I was suffering from big time "resto denial" ........oh the power of the human mind when it wants something to be true

interior-red.jpg

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I was suffering from big time "resto denial" ........oh the power of the human mind when it wants something to be true

Seriously though -- on a copy that is only an Apparent FR 1.0 (best case scenario) WITH the "restoration" (assuming no pages are missing or story-affecting coupons clipped), does the "restoration" really matter? Just think of it as well-matched scribbling. The book wouldn't look much better or much worse without it. If you're ok with a FR 1.0 copy of Detective #27, who cares if it has some extra ink on the cover. The "restoration" on this book does not look like it has affected the grade one bit.

I wouldn't imagine such restoration would have tremendous impact on the value of such a low grade book, but if just one bidder drops out because of extreme restophobia then it could lower the final auction price.

The Subby #2 is also missing at least the 1st interior wrap.

I wouldn't imagine such restoration would have tremendous impact on the value of such a low grade book, but if just one bidder drops out because of extreme restophobia then it could lower the final auction price.

well, you have now met that bidder. This seller who I repeatedly emailed with restoration concerns told me I was wrong and had no idea what I was talking about, and now has updated his auction with all the restoration disclosures convienantly left out of his initial description. I asked him to cancel my bids.....and if he doesn't, I will retract them. Since my bids make up about 80% of present bidding, I hope it does effect the final price. That's what you get when you practice fraud and deception. I hope this book sells for a penny........serves the seller right. He can take his 99% positive feedback and stick it up this restored books A**

well, you have now met that bidder. This seller who I repeatedly emailed with restoration concerns told me I was wrong and had no idea what I was talking about, and now has updated his auction with all the restoration disclosures convienantly left out of his initial description. I asked him to cancel my bids.....and if he doesn't, I will retract them. Since my bids make up about 80% of present bidding, I hope it does effect the final price. That's what you get when you practice fraud and deception. I hope this book sells for a penny........serves the seller right. He can take his 99% positive feedback and stick it up this restored books A**

I don't think he trying to defraud anyone. He is just not a comic book guy. I emailed him earlier and explained where the restoration was, and after looking more closely, he agreed with me. He also mentioned that he collects Lionel trains and knows little or nothing about comics. When I explained the restoration to him and told him that comic collectors are very concerned about restoration and suggested that he should amend the item description so that buyers are aware of the restoration on the book, he thanked me and now it looks like he did exactly what I suggested he do. He was never anything other than grateful in our email exchange. I think it's nothing more than ignorance that you're seeing here -- not intentional deception.

I must say I am very impressed about you guys detecting some restoration work. If it weren't for the blue circles on the bleed through, I wouldn't have guessed it to be a restored book. It's just weird to see a book all beaten up and the covers being detached from the book itself to have some slight resto work done. But anyways, any guesses on how much the final price would be for this book? I'm wondering what other books this seller has to sell in the coming weeks.

I don't think he trying to defraud anyone. He is just not a comic book guy. I emailed him earlier and explained where the restoration was, and after looking more closely, he agreed with me. He also mentioned that he collects Lionel trains and knows little or nothing about comics. When I explained the restoration to him and told him that comic collectors are very concerned about restoration and suggested that he should amend the item description so that buyers are aware of the restoration on the book, he thanked me and now it looks like he did exactly what I suggested he do. He was never anything other than grateful in our email exchange. I think it's nothing more than ignorance that you're seeing here -- not intentional deception.

think he would take train in trade? wink.gif

But I agree with you about his just not knowing. He seems very forthright and even posted the emails sent to him word for word. Just a lucky bastich who fell into a Tec 27.

think he would take train in trade? wink.gif

But I agree with you about his just not knowing. He seems very forthright and even posted the emails sent to him word for word. Just a lucky bastich who fell into a Tec 27.

The last two (the one about the restoration and the one about not selling early -- he mentioned that a local guy had made him an offer to buy it off of ebay and was coming to see it) were the ones I sent to him, so I can confirm that yes, he is posting the emails verbatim.

And I think he just might take trains in trade!!! 27_laughing.gif

[quote

I hope this book sells for a penny........serves the seller right. He can take his 99% positive feedback and stick it up this restored books A**

I think it's nothing more than ignorance that you're seeing here -- not intentional deception.

I just discovered this thread.

Yes, I would agree it's ignorance you're seeing here. The ignorance that comes from living in the real world.

Out there in the world, if you show somebody pictures of a book whose cover is shorn off and torn right down the middle, with chunks out the edges, etc. etc. you do not expect a person to look beyond thse defects as if they don't matter but then flip out completelly because some of the other defects -- also easy to see -- were not identitied by them with a term you would use (i.e. "restoration")

Out in the world you would expect that it's enough to show the pictures and describe the marks as... well marks. And nto be castigated for using some other word and to have somebody write to your other potential customers that you are dishonest and that you should "stick" your book "up your A**"

I hope this book sells for a penny........serves the seller right. He can take his 99% positive feedback and stick it up this restored books A**

I think it's nothing more than ignorance that you're seeing here -- not intentional deception.

I just discovered this thread.

Yes, I would agree it's ignorance you're seeing here. The ignorance that comes from living in the real world.

Out there in the world, if you show somebody pictures of a book whose cover is shorn off and torn right down the middle, with chunks out the edges, etc. etc. you do not expect a person to look beyond thse defects as if they don't matter but then flip out completelly because some of the other defects -- also easy to see -- were not identitied by them with a term you would use (i.e. "restoration")

Out in the world you would expect that it's enough to show the pictures and describe the marks as... well marks. And nto be castigated for using some other word and to have somebody write to your other potential customers that you are dishonest and that you should "stick" your book "up your A**"

Leaving aside your discussion of Showcase's initial reaction, I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Anyone who isn't a knowledgeable comic book collector wouldn't realize that a book like that (practically torn to shreds) might be undesirable to a prospective purchaser simply because it has some marker pen on the cover. I mean for God's sake, the cover is completely split in half, is missing pieces, and is completely detached! Who cares about a little magic marker? 27_laughing.gif

Anyway, I'm glad the seller added the disclosure to the auction. I truly believe that he is not trying to deceive anyone, otherwise he wouldn't have added my emails about the restoration to his auction description. He should be applauded for that.