• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Ben Hur

Great cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

One of these days I'm going to have to start collecting books with "Roman" themes.

Sam Savitt. None of his covers deserve Short Bus status -- unlike the undergrounds that I posted on General! Not old enough for this Golden Age thread, but unloved enough.

Was it Scrooge who posted a link about Savitt a while back? Here's one of several out there

Sam Savitt Horse Art

Jack

Ben Hur

Great cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

One of these days I'm going to have to start collecting books with "Roman" themes.

Sam Savitt. None of his covers deserve Short Bus status --

Oh I agree as I truly love these Dell's. But I've been keeping the younger comic buyer in mind as far as the short bus goes. The guy spending multiples on Spider-man's newest costume change probably wouldn't give Ben Hur a second glance. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've been digging every book in this thread. (Well except for the car wash cover) tongue.gif

Keeping with the theme of true comics, here's a couple more sports books. There are a lot of great boxing covers out there, but this is easily my favorite. It's actually a swipe from the famous painting by George Wesley Bellows of Luis Firpo, "The Wild Bull of the Pampas," knocking Jack Dempsey out of the ring in their 1923 title fight (Dempsey managed to climb back in and knock Firpo out).

2830TrueSportPictureStoriesv2n8fcsm.jpg

And here's the original painting:

8668dempsyfirpo2.jpg

[Cross-posted from Post a Page on the General forum. Interested parties may be more likely to see it here. It's not Short Bus material, but I think we discused MJ&S here a while back. Jack]

Here's a Mary Jane and Sniffles page from Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies 129 that was posted at GCD re: a discussion of the great lettering. The whole page is just wonderful -- in my (uncommon) opinion, the Mary Jane and Sniffles feature is often the best part of a Looney Tunes issue.

Possibly the artwork is by Chase Craig or Al Hubbard. Did either of them do their own lettering? Thanks for any information.

Jack

MJS_LT129.jpg

The Short Bus seemed like an appropriate place to post this "forgotten" Buck Rogers cover, Famous Funnies 217. This book is notable, not because of what it is, but because of what it is not. This is the issue that was originally supposed to have the Frazetta cover that ultimately became Weird SF 29. Imagine - they rejected what is arguably one of the greatest covers ever and replaced it with this snoozer! sleeping.gif All because of that brand new, little white rectangle in the URC.

5081FamousFunnies217FNsm.jpg

The Short Bus seemed like an appropriate place to post this "forgotten" Buck Rogers cover, Famous Funnies 217. This book is notable, not because of what it is, but because of what it is not. This is the issue that was originally supposed to have the Frazetta cover that ultimately became Weird SF 29. Imagine - they rejected what is arguably one of the greatest covers ever and replaced it with this snoozer! sleeping.gif All because of that brand new, little white rectangle in the URC.

5081FamousFunnies217FNsm.jpg

Maybe Mica can make the cover happen for us?

Here's laugh: Somebody's actually got a VG+ copy listed on CLINK with no pic for $200! I guess the seller is hoping that someone who's not paying close attention will get trigger-happy and hit the BIN thinking it's a Frazetta issue. foreheadslap.gif

I had to laugh at the name of this band playing at a local club:

Special Ed & the Shortbus with Fifth on the Floor

Wednesday, Jan. 10

9 p.m. - $3

Despite the silly name, Richmond, Virginia's Special Ed and the Shortbus are actually very serious musicians. Ed and the boys are "a bubbling fountain of virtuosic insanity. Seeing them play is like watching a high-speed train about to jump the tracks. Unstoppable energy matched with technical mastery, outlandish humor and fully engaging entertainment, the Shortbus is a sight to behold." Jug band, Bluegrass, Old-Timey, String Band, Vaudevillian, call it what you will, it's just American music (except when it's Eastern European). The group currently employs two banjos, two guitars, a mandolin, a fiddle, a trap set, a doghouse bass, many kazoos, and a whole host of other toys to cultivate their mish-mash slice of Americana.

Jack

I had to laugh at the name of this band playing at a local club:

Special Ed & the Shortbus with Fifth on the Floor

Wednesday, Jan. 10

9 p.m. - $3

Despite the silly name, Richmond, Virginia's Special Ed and the Shortbus are actually very serious musicians. Ed and the boys are "a bubbling fountain of virtuosic insanity. Seeing them play is like watching a high-speed train about to jump the tracks. Unstoppable energy matched with technical mastery, outlandish humor and fully engaging entertainment, the Shortbus is a sight to behold." Jug band, Bluegrass, Old-Timey, String Band, Vaudevillian, call it what you will, it's just American music (except when it's Eastern European). The group currently employs two banjos, two guitars, a mandolin, a fiddle, a trap set, a doghouse bass, many kazoos, and a whole host of other toys to cultivate their mish-mash slice of Americana.

Jack

That actually sounds like a show I'd be interested in attending. blush.gif

Here is one i have been meaning to post as soon as I got my new scanner!!

scan0002.jpg

those aren't really short bus, there are a lot of folks that love em.....

I've even got a LG reader of that one. cloud9.gif

And to mix it up a bit, how about a pro wrestling cover with Ed "The Strangler" Lewis, one of the last great real pro wrestlers, before the sport became completely fake.

7652SportsAction09fcsm.jpg

I always though the Sports Action covers were kind of cool - they have the typically busy Atlas dramatic situations complete with word balloons that set them apart from other sports comics - and that #9 has a black cover as well!