• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

This is definitely a book I don't own and wouldn't own in a million years. I swear.

FunnyStuff4.jpg

SEE!!! Even his Funny Stuffs are killer grade!!!

It really is a fine cover that wouldn't be allowed on any short bus I know about!

So if you ever run into one of those awful things, adamstrange, just send it my way to get it out of your sight!

GCD says Ron Santi (?) cover, a cartoonist I know nothing about. Toonopedia says that he also created Bulldog Drumhead.

Jack

Great Funny Stuff! Get that out of this thread!!!! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Its SOooOOooOOo Hard to find that title that nice.... hail.gif

Which proves that if you want to find a nice copy, you have to go to Church. wink.gif

I have to agree that there is no love for this long running series. Dagwood Comics ride that same bus. frown.gif

Dagwood11.jpg

Dagwood seems way off-model here. (What do you think?)

Anyone know who drew the orginal material for the comic books?

Jack

PS. I like the angry fish. Looks like something out of Dr. Suess!

Edited by selegue

mm0111.jpg

mm0112.jpg

mm0113.jpg

Ciorac,

Great looking Blondies. thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree that there is no love for this long running series. Dagwood Comics ride that same bus. frown.gif

Dagwood11.jpg

Thanks Harvey Dude! I knew I could count on you for support! yay.gif

Today, the Short Bus takes us on a field trip to the SCIENCE MUSEUM!

First, Dagwood Splits the Atom (King Features Syndicate, 1949) gets the long back seat not only for content, but also for its awesome condition! (I know I overheard some of you saying it's in AW-something condition.)

1701725-dagwood6.jpg

As a special feature, you can readily judge the paper quality with only a cover scan! And that's not all! The cover can amuse the kids as a jigsaw puzzle! (Does anyone have a copy that comes in one piece?)

But let's take a look inside.

1701725-dagwood4.jpg

It's not every day that you see Mandrake instructing Dagwood about how to make a 6" uranium nucleus undergo fission by blowing a neutron at it through a giant pea-shooter!

Dagwood's buddy, Science Comics 5 (Ace Publications, 1946) gets to share the back seat.

1701725-science5.jpg

This book not only sports another paper-judging window, but also has a feature on the wonders of cheap wood-pulp paper. There's also a remarkable story about how a modern, streamlined facsimile recorder (about the size of an old console television) will automatically "print" the morning newspaper in the average home of the future.

(My scanner was giving me fits on these books!)

Jack

As a special feature, you can readily judge the paper quality with only a cover scan! And that's not all! The cover can amuse the kids as a jigsaw puzzle! (Does anyone have a copy that comes in one piece?)

Yes.

I've thought that Dagwood was one of the last men on earth that I'd like splitting an atom.

Yes.

I've thought that Dagwood was one of the last men on earth that I'd like splitting an atom.

I can think of others I'd like less -- some in high government positions, in fact. You've probably heard of them!

Jack

I was going through my scans and found this one. I can't remember seeing an Uncle Milty anywhere on the boards previously

I think that Uncle Milty deserves reserved seating in the Short Bus. I can't recall a single cover in the short-lived series worthwhile. In fact, isn't the cover to # 1 a prime candidate for the Short Bus Hall of Shame?

I was going through my scans and found this one. I can't remember seeing an Uncle Milty anywhere on the boards previously

I think that Uncle Milty deserves reserved seating in the Short Bus. I can't recall a single cover in the short-lived series worthwhile. In fact, isn't the cover to # 1 a prime candidate for the Short Bus Hall of Shame?

In fact, that's one bizarre cover!

Younger forum members may not be aware of some of Milty's shticks -- the artist (who?) managed to pack in a reference to Berle's penchant for gay jokes (he often dressed in drag) with the waving handkerchief and also his "anatomical reputation" with the positioning of the flagpole. Probably people seeing this on the newsstand at the time would have caught the gags.

Jack

bumpit.gif

Here's one book deserving (?) of the Short Bus treatment: a ACG Funny Animal title - Funny Films # 16. This is the type of books that would give me fits. It's cover dated April but the indicia has it listed as March-April 1952. It makes sense that they'd rather have April listed on the cover since it is the pull-date giving it an extra month on the shelves but for indexers and collectors, it reeks of kryptonite -

1789976-FunnyFilms16s.jpg

My wife really liked the blue field on this cover (in the 2 seconds she afforded to spare to satisfy my wanting to show it to her insane.gif)

2-second quiz: Which character(s) published by DC appeared on 3 covers in March 1952? popcorn.gif

1789976-FunnyFilms16s.jpg.cd8fb13cef4647c3c722a0054e15d704.jpg

Fox and Crow?

Comic Cavalcade 49

Fox and Crow 2

Real Screen 48

hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'm gearing up for the Real Screen 48 entry for the Month thread and it then struck me that these guys had as many cover presence as Batman (Batman, Detective, World's Finest) or Superman (Superman, Action, World's Finest). Superboy is only on 2 covers (Superboy and Adventure) since Start Spangled turned into a Mystery title by then. Anyone else I'm forgetting? Wonder Woman only has Wonder Woman as Sensation is a month or two shy of becoming Sensation Mystery.