• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Ebay bidder?

10 posts in this topic

I actually like it if it's in the name of preventing fake second chance offers which it appears to be according to ebay. It also allows me to place cursory bids on items without worrying that someone will check my bid history and know I snipe all the time.

Here's ebay's reasoning and it makes sense to me:

As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

Felix

I got a note yesterday from Ebay which as usual I pretty much glossed over but it said that for bidders there would be some sort of format change effective on 23 Nov. I'm not sure if this was for UK reg users first since presumably you'd have got the note too?

Joseph

Felix

I got a note yesterday from Ebay which as usual I pretty much glossed over but it said that for bidders there would be some sort of format change effective on 23 Nov. I'm not sure if this was for UK reg users first since presumably you'd have got the note too?

Joseph

I have not gotten a note from Ebay like the one you got. In this particular auction, the winning bidder's ID is now shown on the main page, but the bidding history only shows "Bidder 1" and "Bidder 2".

I don't like this new development for all the same reasons as jjeanius. I hope it is not implemented.