• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age X-Men thread

2,282 posts in this topic

Can't say I've read that Weapon X run. I loved the Age of Apocalypse Weapon X storyline. I'll have to check out that trade. to tell you the truth I have read none of the Marvel Comics Presents books. I always looked at that as a "diet Wolverine" series as it came out right around the same time as the Wolverine 2nd volume. Maybe I was incorrect about it.

Yes and no. They definitely featured a steady diet of Wolverine-related stories (Mainly so somebody would buy them I'm sure) but they also used the title as a way of test-driving new artists and writers. Some amazing storylines were found in this title like Colossus: God's Country and Barry Windsor Smith's Weapon X. Those have both been collected in trades or graphic novels. One of my collecting grails is to get my MCP series signed by BWS.

There was some other nice stuff too. Sam Kieth did his first Wolverine art in MCP and Jae Lee's first Marvel work was Wolverine in MCP. There was a Liefeld-drawn bio about Cable before he first appeared in New Mutants 87.

I liked hearing about the adventures of some of Marvel's B-characters and the writers seem to have had a bit of license with respect to humor or darkness that they didn't have in mainstream titles at that time.

A Liefeld Cable issue you say? I gotta check that out... I really like the Liefeld drawn X-Men 245. Great Wolverine cover and a great story inside as well, that whole guys night out issue was a fun sidestory. Especially the part that Wolverine can't get drunk due to his healing powers... classic!

Ok, So I picked this UXM 245 up for a buck. (And of course it gets dinged in the mail)

If you look at UPC box it has something different in it than the regular comic. The copyright is from 1989, but the interior pages have advertising from 1993.

Anybody know what it is?

75609.gif.16cd6c34c6334e4aa6a0321d80b1cf8c.gif

Ok, So I picked this UXM 245 up for a buck. (And of course it gets dinged in the mail)

If you look at UPC box it has something different in it than the regular comic. The copyright is from 1989, but the interior pages have advertising from 1993.

Anybody know what it is?

What you have there is a undocumented reprint. In the early 90's Sears and/or JC Penny put out Marvel Value Packs. These packs all did not have UK prices and in place of the UPC was the swinging Spiderman. All of them have ads from the year it was printed - 92 or 93. I remember there was Thor, What If, Peter Parker and some others. I had forgotten about this until you posted, I think I will go buy one.

Dude, I have a bunch of those, I think. Do they have an X-Men ad on the back with Wolverine as the focus (I think it might be for the old X-Men cartoon)? If so, I have quite a few of those reprints. May have to go dig those up... hm

Dude, I have a bunch of those, I think. Do they have an X-Men ad on the back with Wolverine as the focus (I think it might be for the old X-Men cartoon)? If so, I have quite a few of those reprints. May have to go dig those up... hm

If it has Spiderman swinging where the UPC should be and the back does show Wolverine for an advertisement for an X-Men video. That is from the 93 series. The 92 series had Wolverine bursting through the page in an advertisement for X-Men trading cards.

Thanks, Peter. Wish me luck on the 224, that is a tough one.

Certainly is, I am having such a hard time finding 251 and 262.

I don't have those either. But finishing my 250-300 run is on the list for next year. I hope you find yours before then :wishluck:

Just got these in today, all signed by Chris Claremont at NYCC.

I have to thank Danny (MutantKeys) for cracking, prepping, and taking care of them during the process, especially the 212.

Uncanny X-Men 171 CGC 9.8 First Rogue

171.jpg

Uncanny X-Men 201 CGC 9.8 First Cable as Baby Nathan

201.jpg

Uncanny X-Men 212 CGC 9.8 Mutant Massacre, only SS 9.8

212.jpg

Uncanny X-Men Annual 14 CGC 9.8 Early Gambit appearance

Ann14.jpg