• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buck Biggins MidOhio Con report

41 posts in this topic

It was a great show for me. I really wish I had more time but I promised the family a christmas walk that evening so I left around 3:00 on Saturday. I should have gotten a signature series from Ayers and Trempe but I didn't. Heck I didn't even stop at the booth. foreheadslap.gif. I was too busy digging in boxes and meeting other people.

Thanks Pirate for helping me with the signature books. Seeing you with your boy makes me look forward to when I can drag mine along.

It was nice meeting theDude. Too bad we didn't have more time to chat but the long boxes were calling and time was running short. Thanks for taking some photos for me. Hope you had a good show as well.

Nice reports, everyone. I was and still am fighting a very nasty cold, so I only spent 2 hours at the con Saturday. I wandered around in a semi-conscious state with my brother-in-law trying to a general feel for what the show was all about.

It is much improved from my last visit to it two years ago, especially with the more spacious venue. It seemed like a very good show - not too crowded, and actually perhaps a bit underattended. I wonder how the promoter and exhibitors felt? There was a good selection of comics from all eras, and seemed to be plenty of opportunity to meet creators and purchase commissions. I also felt there was a nice balance of comic vs. toy/pop culture vendors for those who stress about that sort of thing.

My only purchases were a Sgt. Fury pencil sketch from Ayers (not a commission), and a western graphic novel he recently produced. While his best work is clearly decades behind him, he did a good a job on both. I was happy to support him and his very nice wife in purchasing them. He was also kind enough to sign my Sgt. Fury Masterworks.

Next time when I'm feeling better, I'll be sure to try to hook up with other forumites in advance so we can go out for dinner, drinks, etc... In fact, we should definitely try to get together sometime well before then regardless. I passed silverandbronze's booth several times, but I was just too far off my "A game" to even introduce myself.

Until time time, make mine alka-seltzer plus cold and sinus!

-Jim

I'm no hippy sumo.gif

even though I didn't buy a whole lot at the con, the fun for me was meeting fellow forum members Silverandbronze, which I had met in Chicago, Buck Biggins, nice to put a face to the voice over the phone; Pirate and his son, very nice guy,. and Paratrooper, who during dinner was checking out all the waitresses while I was talking comics with Paul and Anthony, what the heck is wrong with me screwy.gif

Para, nice to see you finally got "a beer".

grin.gif

Sorry, I was completely wrong about the hippy thing. But come'on you have the Lebowski as your avatar!! Not my fault! Plus that one waitress I kept staring at was HOT, I thought you guys were crazy talking about comics while a gorgeous chick was right behind us.

Sorry, I was completely wrong about the hippy thing. But come'on you have the Lebowski as your avatar!! Not my fault! Plus that one waitress I kept staring at was HOT, I thought you guys were crazy talking about comics while a gorgeous chick was right behind us.

yes, she was very fine...uh, I mean NM plus confused-smiley-013.gif

that was the three pints talking as we were waiting for a table. VF- at best.

that was the three pints talking as we were waiting for a table. VF- at best.

Come on now guys, everyone knows that alcohol makes women look better. The same can be used about comics. gossip.gif I never drink when I'm posting books on ebay, they are all soberly graded....i'm only drunk when I post the starting bid......

Ok dude. I'm going to give you lessons. 27_laughing.gif When i went out in T.O. this summer with a bunch of creators I was wearing my JIM #89 tribute shirt at the Niteclub. I'll tell you, chicks love it! headbang.gif Time to break the mold. Comics are cool!

R.

hi.gif Leroy, I always like your ad in the price guide. This year we're pagemates, on page 282 and 283.

I like living in CA but am sometimes jealous of you guys who really live where the comics (and the shows) are.

Marc

Marc, thanks for the kind words about the ad. I believe it's pages 232 & 233. I did eight years in Bakersfield back in th 80's. I started the Bakersfield show around 1988 and did a few small comic shows over the next couple years before moving back to the home state of KY. Bakersfield was nice and affordable living with all the great things of CA close by.

Well I just got back about an hour ago. Show was great for me and am looking forward to next year. This is a nice get away for the wife and me, I get to make money and she gets to spend it! We also enjoy the nice reataurants around the Con and out at the old Easton location. I need to slow down on the posting as I've been registered over a year and have doubled my number of post in the last few days.

Well I just got back about an hour ago. Show was great for me and am looking forward to next year. This is a nice get away for the wife and me, I get to make money and she gets to spend it! We also enjoy the nice reataurants around the Con and out at the old Easton location. I need to slow down on the posting as I've been registered over a year and have doubled my number of post in the last few days.

Why don't you tell the board about the collection you found from the farmer and how he stored them. What was in it and the grades?

Why don't you tell the board about the collection you found from the farmer and how he stored them. What was in it and the grades?

Collection was purchased early in 2005.

This farmer from Mississippi calls me up in Sept 2004 telling me about this hugh collection that belonged to his deceased cousin. He says the comics are in really nice shape but that's what they all say and maybe 1 in 10 are collections that average grades over fine. I kept putting him off and finally took the 5 hour drive to see the comics about 5 months after the first contact.

After first seeing the two rooms with about 30 storage tubs I knew that the collection was hugh. It only took me a few minutes to realize that a lot of the comics were high grade smile.gif and a lot were low grade frown.gif. Seems that about 95% of the pre-1966 comics had either an ad page missing or the back cover removed but most of the 1966-1980 comics appeared unread with mostly improper storage defects.

None of the comics were in bags so it was easy to examine the comics. Collection consisted of equal Marvel & DC with some odd titles mixed in. I had over 600 graded ranging from 9.0 to 9.8. Only one comic got a 9.8 and I believe it was Marvel Premiere #2. About 60 comics got 9.6 with the bset one being Spider-Man #59. Of the 600 graded only 10-15 came back as bad as ow/w with over 400 coming back with white pages.

I believe he still has more comics and I call him a couple times a year to keep in touch. He says he working on getting the rest of them and will call me when he does. Collection had no FF comics before about #150 yet he had all the annuals from #1 up. The Spideys started with #51 yet he had all the annuals from 1 up also. Collection was also missing Avengers, X-men & Daredevil so I'm hoping these are the comics he'll call me some day saying he's ready to sell.

If anyone of you guys have bought any CGC comics from me over the last 18 months chances are they are from this collection. Only have at this time about 5 CGC comics from the collection left, nothing of great value. Very cool collection to find.

Great story, Leroy!

I'll take this opportunity to say that I bought a lot of slabs off Leroy last year. He's a fast shipper and one of the best packers around! The easiest deals I had. If I still collected slabs, I would get them from Leroy.

Hey Guys,

Great meeting everyone at the show. And glad everyone likes the tumbler.

Like a lot of others on the boards, I found a slew of bargains at this show, along with one grail. A great show to buy at, and the dealers seemed pretty happy with the end results.

My loot:

[*]About 6 8.5-9.4 1960's Archies, all for less than $3 each. Very nice copies, from 2 different dealers, who couldn't have cared less about them. It's amazing they survived--no backing boards, crappy plastic bags, half-full boxes. And you wonder why they're so tough in HG

[*]Beat Warlord to a bunch of $1 boxes and yanked out about 10 40-60 cent Kubert war books in 9.4-9.6, along with 3 25 cent Marvel Tales in 9.2-9.4. What can I say, I'm a sucker for any nice, glossy book at a buck a piece.

[*]In the same box Warlord found his 35 cent variant, I grabbed about 15 20cent Marvels in 8.5 -9.4. Nothing stellear, mostly offbeat stuff, including a very nice Spoof 3. (9.2-ish, if memory serves).

[*]The GRAIL--never thought I'd own this book, and on X-mas a.m., I'll have my wife to thank for it. Four Color 33--the 1st Bugs Bunny issue in comics. An apparent VG, with amateur color touch and a piece of tape reinforcing the centerfold. Nice off-white pages, white cover. A truly tough book to find in presentable condition without shelling out a grand or two on a file copy. Wish I had a scanner.

A note on dinner on Sat. Some of the creators went to the same fine establishment on Sun. evening and were equally disgusted with the food and miserable attitudes of the staff. And the waitress behind you WAS a VERY cute VF-.

Never sold at any shows in northern CA but sold at San Diego Comic-Con in 88 & 89, also sold a lot at the Shrine monthly show in Los Angeles.

Ah, I was helping Harley (and selling a few books) at the 88 San Diego so we did do the same show in CA at least once.

Great story about the farmer's collection.

Marc