• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online Real-time Comic Convention Marketplace...

124 posts in this topic

So I'm watching (stalking) various Marketplace threads waiting for Nikos to upload more books... and I get the notion that "Hey, we should have a lot more people doing this all at the same time."

Now, granted, that may "thin" out the amount of money being thrown around, but it may also draw more people with the idea that with more books being sold, the bigger the immediate marketplace.

So the idea is this:

Pick a night. Pick a time. A bunch of sellers show up at that time and using only one Marketplace thread per seller, they each start a marketplace sale. That way, people won't feel like they're always missing out on a sale... and they'll have a larger selection to choose from while they're waiting for each thread to update.

Any thoughts?

Time zone differences. screwy.gif

If you set a date and time, everyone can figure it out.

I'm only suggesting this because it's Friday night and I'm not about to camp out here on my computer all night... tongue.gif

My wife would kill me...

I like the idea, but I think a better suggestion would be to have sellers be better prepared.

Rather than seeing one book every hour or more, it should be done in a more timely fashion.

This is a great idea. I wonder if it is at all possible to simulate a comic con in the boards...how cool would that be!! That is, have several virtual tables for comics and comic art...maybe we can start it off with a sign up sheet. i would be very willing to help organize it.

Again, I don't know how feasible this is, but I think it's a great idea nonetheless.

So I'm watching (stalking) various Marketplace threads waiting for Nikos to upload more books... and I get the notion that "Hey, we should have a lot more people doing this all at the same time."

Now, granted, that may "thin" out the amount of money being thrown around, but it may also draw more people with the idea that with more books being sold, the bigger the immediate marketplace.

So the idea is this:

Pick a night. Pick a time. A bunch of sellers show up at that time and using only one Marketplace thread per seller, they each start a marketplace sale. That way, people won't feel like they're always missing out on a sale... and they'll have a larger selection to choose from while they're waiting for each thread to update.

Any thoughts?

nice suggestion. pick a weekend thumbsup2.gif

Cool. The idea is to give everyone some time to scan in all their books and price them, etc.

7:30 PST 10:30 EST sounds like a decent time frame. Any counter arguments?

What's a good day? (Preferably a slower night perhaps.) Since it's coming up on Christmas, I'm thinking next Wednesday, December 6th at 7:30 PST would be a good time.

Post the day and time you think would be good in general. thumbsup2.gif

If someone would like to step up to organize this, that'd be great. (I'd be one of the sellers/buyers.) The idea is to let everyone know that there will be a bunch of real-time selling threads in the marketplace forum at a specific day/time. Hopefully, we'll get a critical mass of buyers/sellers.

Next week is going to be rough for me. Maybe I could consign my books to you for this convention in exchange for your usual consignment fee? insane.gif

Cool. The idea is to give everyone some time to scan in all their books and price them, etc.

7:30 PST 10:30 EST sounds like a decent time frame. Any counter arguments?

What's a good day? (Preferably a slower night perhaps.) Since it's coming up on Christmas, I'm thinking next Wednesday, December 6th at 7:30 PST would be a good time.

Post the day and time you think would be good in general. thumbsup2.gif

If someone would like to step up to organize this, that'd be great. (I'd be one of the sellers/buyers.) The idea is to let everyone know that there will be a bunch of real-time selling threads in the marketplace forum at a specific day/time. Hopefully, we'll get a critical mass of buyers/sellers.

Seems like a cool idea! The trick is just getting everyone to agree on a time and date. But it'd be nice to see everyone nicely prepared all together on one night.... It'd also be nice if we set very specific rules for the "con" in that each seller must post the a reasonably sized scan/picture of the book, along with title and issue # (for those 56k folks), clear shipping prices, grade of the book, etc etc...

Getting this better organized is a good idea, although the general constructs of a post-forum environment will still limit the mechanics of it. Before any posting is done, the usual policies and disclaimers yada yada should be posted first.

Are we saying that we all post in one thread? Some of my frustration is having to bounce around in various threads. Maybe we keep each seller to a different thread, but we lot out specific times for each seller on a given night so we won't be "drinking with a fire hose". Of course, there's no way to police it, and would need to agreed upon in advance.

As Rick suggested, sellers should have all book images, pricing, grading, etc all worked out so they can be posted in a timely manner...to prevent nodding off by buyers and making it easier for all. Throwing this out: how about breaking down posts to ages / genres? Might be labor intensive, but would get the desired market focussed for shorter periods of time, and may lead to increased BINs. Just a thought. Sellers could post their books in the appropriate thread. Perhaps a policy / shipping thread could dictate seller's terms so we wouldn't need to rehash this every time seller's show up. A link to an external web page where it could be edited would be ideal, although I know there is a rule prohibiting this. Since it isn't actual product, could we make an exception?

I'd love to participate in this as well....tons of stuff I need to offload.

Some of the frustration for me is when books are uploaded during the day. Most folks are working...I'd suggest a PM time that would accomodate most time zones...9PM EST to 12AM EST would be a good starting conversation point. I have no idea how we accomodate folks from disparate locations.

As I've said, this is a wonderful idea! However, before we set a date, I think we should first hash out the details, set policies in place, etc to provide some structure and organization.

Perhaps we should let this discussion run for a while to get more thoughts, concerns, reality check, etc.