• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,803 posts in this topic

Thanks Monty!

I knew someone was keeping count....

I'm away from my Gerber books...

are all of the FC titles pictured there ?

BTW: is there a collector here who does have a complete FC set or know of anyone who does?

Edited by adams

I don't have my Gerber handy, but I'm pretty sure some four colors are missing, mostly silver age issues.

As to a complete four color sets, I've got a complete 2nd series, and I'm only missing the nn Tracy and Donald Duck #4 for the 1st series.

BTW: is there a collector here who does have a complete FC set or know of anyone who does?

There are several collectors known to have or have had complete sets: Don Rosa, Steve Geppi, a collector from Mexico (?) (whose name I ignore), and I assume the Thompsons (Don and Maggie) had a complete set at some point but I wouldn't swear it, then possibly Dan Stevenson and a few other completists including Monty. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't have my Gerber handy, but I'm pretty sure some four colors are missing, mostly silver age issues.

As to a complete four color sets, I've got a complete 2nd series, and I'm only missing the nn Tracy and Donald Duck #4 for the 1st series.

I noticed that you have books of varying conditions within that run. If you are ever interested in downgrading a few issues( picking up a lesser copy to sell me a better one, let me know and we can work out a deal even if it is on a case by case basis.

Actually I've been slowly upgrading for years, but nowhere near your fantastic group of books. If I ever have a duplicate in 8.0 or above, or decide to sell some of mine I'll keep you in mind.

My biggest step at this point is getting all the comic back covers, I prefer them over the ad's, but a couple hundred of my issues are the ad variant.

Nope, the oldest issue I have both examples of is 653, and the oldest one where I don't have a comic back cover is 712, the newest is 1302.

I need comic back covers for 132 issues in that range, and have both back covers on 27 issues. I don't have an Overstreet handy, but it says something to the effect that both variants exist from 500? up.

Showcase, that FC 74 is very nice - love that cover and as a big Lulu fan I'm jealous!

Montezuma, I humbly bow before your awesome assemblage of Four Colors... hail.gif

I have maybe 100 or so FCs, including all but four of the Barks duck books (the earliest four, natch blush.gif) ...and have occasionally dreamed of trying to assemble an entire run of the second series... glad to know it is possible - you've given me inspiration (to go rob a bank wink.gif) !!

It's hard to follow the previous acts, but I'll go ahead and post my latest FC acquisition - this one purchased from A-1 Comics at Wondercon a couple of weeks ago... It's my oldest FC among the Barks duck books, and one that's not reprinted often (at all?)... very strange and silly story, even for Barks!

1702587-FourColor108-fc.jpg

1702587-FourColor108-fc.jpg.9c93571c0d90dae6533a20e41fd0a864.jpg

Nice book, the Barks and Kelly books were what got me started on four colors. It's a fun collection, because if your willing to accept VG most of them are relatively cheap, though some don't show up very often.

... It's my oldest FC among the Barks duck books, and one that's not reprinted often (at all?)... very strange and silly story, even for Barks!

Here's the reprint history for The Terror of the River! in the US:

The original: One Shots 108 (1946) The Terror of the River!!

Best Comic Series (Large hardbound books) 6 (1980)

Carl Barks Library (hardcover, b/w) 1 p. 321 (1984)

Gladstone Comic Album 2 (1987)

Gladstone Leather Bound Hardcover Comic Albums 1 (1989)

The Carl Barks Library of Donald Duck Adventures in Color 4 (1994) (my version)

Donald Duck Adventures (Gladstone) 26 (1994)

Walt Disney's Vacation Parade 3 (2006)

so it was reprinted as lately as last year, 60 years after the original!

us_os_0108_01_001.jpg

.. Joe Oriolo (who?) ...

When in doubt, check the Month thread. Here are the relevant snipets:

801857-JoeOrioloPhotos.jpg

"Joe Oriolo - Born February 21, 1913 in Union City NJ. Graduated Union Hill High & Cooper Union . His first job in the art field was as a Show Card Writer for Sears Roebuck. He was the Top Animator for Max Fleisher. While at Fleisher studios he worked on "Superman,” “Popeye,” and "Gulliver's Travels” as well as doing high priority films for the Government. Joe created "Casper the Friendly Ghost" and was responsible for opening one of the earliest commercial TV studios in 1945, Felix the Cat Studios. Joe Oriolo produced 260 "Felix” cartoons for TV and also produced 130 "Mighty Hercules” films for TV. Joe's son, Don Oriolo, carries on Oriolo film studios today."

In 1960, Felix was revived once more, this time on TV, by producer Joe Oriolo. Oriolo, whose credits include Casper the Friendly Ghost and The Mighty Hercules, had worked as Messmer's assistant during the 1950s, and had taken over the Felix newspaper strip from him in 1954.

.. Joe Oriolo (who?) ...

When in doubt, check the Month thread. Here are the relevant snipets:

801857-JoeOrioloPhotos.jpg

"Joe Oriolo ....

Thanks.

Where was he, under Felix's own title? Do you think that's his work on the Four Color cover?

I find the board Search function less than useful. HEY MODS, here's a vote to pin "Month in the Life" to the top of the GA forum!

Jack