• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Hey Sqeggs, how many Four Colors do you have?  

I've got three from the first series and about 225 from the second series.  I never intended to complete the set; I was focusing on cool covers.  But lately, I've been taking a run at nearly every high-grade copy that becomes available (often unsuccessfully!).

So, I guess I've drifted into trying to get them all.  Long way to go, and I'm not sure I'll ever want to shell out the dough to buy more than low-grade copies of some of the early keys (e.g. FC 9 and 29).

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, 4GEMWORKS said:

Tillie the Toiler: Unknown today this series ran in a total of seven Four Color issues.

Tillie ran 12 issues in the Second Series - # 8, 22, 55, 89, 106, 132, 150, 176, 184, 195, 213, 237

I have a list of the series appearing the most within the Second Series. I have not checked all your numbers but the Tillie jumped out as off. Smilin' Jack had only 6 issues in the Second series, you state 8. That means you include the 2 issues from the first series. Tillie also had one issue in the first series, so that bumps her total to 13 issues.

Here's my list of those series with more than 10 issues, only counting the Second Series -

Mickey Mouse 30
Donald Duck 29
Bugs Bunny 28
Zane Grey 27
Porky Pig 26
Oswald the Rabbit 20
Duck Album 17
Francis The Famous Talking Mule 17
Santa Claus Funnies 17
Andy Panda 16
Elmer Fudd 16
Woody Woodpecker 16
Goofy 15
Zorro 14
Johnny Mack Brown 13
Roy Rogers 13
Little Beaver 12
The Little Rascals 12
Tillie the Toiler 12
Frosty the Snowman 11
Little Lulu 10
Pluto 10
The Brownies 10
The Two Musketeers 10

Let me know if anyone is interested to see the list down to 5 or more issues.

2 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Tillie ran 12 issues in the Second Series - # 8, 22, 55, 89, 106, 132, 150, 176, 184, 195, 213, 237

I have a list of the series appearing the most within the Second Series. I have not checked all your numbers but the Tillie jumped out as off. Smilin' Jack had only 6 issues in the Second series, you state 8. That means you include the 2 issues from the first series. Tillie also had one issue in the first series, so that bumps her total to 13 issues.

Here's my list of those series with more than 10 issues, only counting the Second Series -

Mickey Mouse 30
Donald Duck 29
Bugs Bunny 28
Zane Grey 27
Porky Pig 26
Oswald the Rabbit 20
Duck Album 17
Santa Claus Funnies 17
Andy Panda 16
Elmer Fudd 16
Woody Woodpecker 16
Goofy 15
Zorro 14
Johnny Mack Brown 13
Roy Rogers 13
Little Beaver 12
The Little Rascals 12
Tillie the Toiler 12
Frosty the Snowman 11
Little Lulu 10
Pluto 10
The Brownies 10
The Two Musketeers 10

Oh, no! @sagii will be bummed about this! 

1 minute ago, sagii said:
15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Oh, no! @sagii will be bummed about this! 

...does he get the Electoral College tally at least :D

Let's give him a 3-point coolness bonus! Rabbits>>Mice! :sumo:

Maybe the most surprising entry on the list is Francis the Talking Mule.  I remember reading once that when Donald O'Connor was asked why he declined to be in the last movie in that series (Mickey Rooney took his place), he said something like, "When you've done six movies and the mule still gets more fan mail ...."

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

this one is more about the Bugs than the Pig - 1/2 credit at least

FourColor322fc_zpsfcyi0msu.jpg

This is the first one that came to mind when I thought about @Sqeggs question. Nice copy 'Doc'. 

The other is the Porky Pig peppermint mine issue.

9 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Mickey Mouse 30
Donald Duck 29
Bugs Bunny 28
Zane Grey 27
Porky Pig 26
Oswald the Rabbit 20
Duck Album 17
Santa Claus Funnies 17
Andy Panda 16
Elmer Fudd 16
Woody Woodpecker 16
Goofy 15
Zorro 14
Johnny Mack Brown 13
Roy Rogers 13
Little Beaver 12
The Little Rascals 12
Tillie the Toiler 12
Frosty the Snowman 11
Little Lulu 10
Pluto 10
The Brownies 10
The Two Musketeers 10

For your DD totals are you counting FC 1051 and 1198 (Walt Disney's Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land), 1099 and 1140 and 1182  and 1239 (Walt Disney's Donald Duck Album), 1109 (This Is Your Life Donald Duck), and 1190 (Walt Disney's Donald Duck and the Wheel)?  With apologies to BB, I think DD blows everyone else away.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

For your DD totals are you counting

No, those are excluded. The Duck Albums are listed separately in the list above nor did I account for those books with a different title. That would push DD ahead of MM for sure. Though, the MM count does not include 1025 - Vacation in Disneyland similarly the DD count didn't have This is your life. Thanks for pointing those out.

I think if we changed the tally to be, "Which character appeared in the most Four Colors?" Donald would win in a walk (waddle?).  He was in his own named books, the three Scrooge books, the Duck Album books, and the (at least five) Daisy Duck's Diary books. I think he was probably also in the (seven?) Grandma Duck Farm Friends and the (four?) Gyro Gearloose books, although I'd have to check whether he was in all of those.  Also Vacation in Disneyland and the other books @sfcityduck mentions.

I think it would come to a pretty impressive total. 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think if we changed the tally to be, "Which character appeared in the most Four Colors?" Donald would win in a walk (waddle?).  He was in his own named books, the three Scrooge books, the Duck Album books, and the (at least five) Daisy Duck's Diary books. I think he was probably also in the (seven?) Grandma Duck Farm Friends and the (four?) Gyro Gearloose books, although I'd have to check whether he was in all of those.  Also Vacation in Disneyland and the other books @sfcityduck mentions.

I think it would come to a pretty impressive total. 

Well the Bugs Halloween giants, Vacation giants, Christmas giants and County Fair books would also give him a boost in that kind of race too..hm

3 minutes ago, sagii said:

Well the Bugs Halloween giants, Vacation giants, Christmas giants and County Fair books would also give him a boost in that kind of race too..

If only these books were Four Colors … :baiting:

...I wonder if the two cartoon Titans discussed this during their only and legendary on screen meeting in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'? Spielberg convinced Warner's to lend their characters to the Disney production. One of the stipulations was that Bugs and Mickey had to have equal screen time down to the second. Glad Disney agreed. This film is one of my all time favorites of any genre. I'm instantly a kid again every time i watch it.

Mickey-mouse-bugs-bunny-113.jpg

Edited by sagii

I wish I had a good scanner, my photos suck, but I thought I'd post some Ducks just back from CGC here to bump up the thread.  

image.thumb.png.76dc2eb42d23a17c8e5bfeaefa462f64.png

My apologies to whoever just bought the 9.6 sold on Heritage.  Heritage advertized their 9.6 as top graded 1 of 2.  But this grade came down the last day of the auction.  

So now this (and the Heritage copy) are top graded 1 of 3.  (This one's brother was the FC 456 9.4 top graded that I sold to a fellow boardie.)

Apologize for the extreme angle on this picture, trying to avoid glare.  

I don't why this one graded out as an 8.5, instead of higher.  It is really beautiful.  Still, it is tied for with another copy or so (Bedrock has one) for second highest graded.  By the way, this is the first time Uncle Scrooge was featured on a comic cover (beats out FC 386):

image.thumb.png.b513890af33828596ec5058512fe4d5f.png