• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dave Stevens appreciation thread!

96 posts in this topic

no way jose tongue.gif That's an undervalued book

Never said I was going to be cheap about it. poke2.gif

I know, just razzin' ya wink.gif

If I ever decide to sell one of mine (I have the graded one plus a raw) I will let you know.

Did stevens do his own coloring on these mid 80s covers such as sheena above? I'm guessing he did 100% of the work on these better covers. The coloring above really adds a lot to the cover. Same with a lot of the better ones on this thread. I can almost pick out the ones that weren't colored by him (crossfire and rainbow 4, etc).

Did stevens do his own coloring on these mid 80s covers such as sheena above? I'm guessing he did 100% of the work on these better covers. The coloring above really adds a lot to the cover. Same with a lot of the better ones on this thread. I can almost pick out the ones that weren't colored by him (crossfire and rainbow 4, etc).

I believe he did. Would love to get a commission on that Sheena, as it is splendid. I bought that one off the rack and loved it. In 3-D, oh you can imagine. smile.gif

Would love to own the art in that thread, although it is not colored, as very memorable memories. What would one estimate the cost of a comission? of the original?

It's a picture of the video game that you can see at this URL (my copy, not my site):

http://www.nintendoage.com/index.cfm?Fus...99426609CE58E29

It's a picture of the side showing the factory seal but its hard to make out in the tiny avatar file size. I paid 3 grand for the game about six months ago. It's the only unopened copy known, at least so far, outside of the manufacturer's pop culture museum (which has an additional copy but obviously not for sale). I guess you could say I view it as the crown jewel of my game collection.

The cartridge alone is worth about $800-900 and the manual and box would probably fetch similar prices each. You can read more about the game and why it is expensive on this list (its #6 on the list).

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/10/holy-grails-of-console-game-collecting.html

Never thought I'd be paying 3 grand for a video game (and I considered that a really good deal, I offered the seller 4 grand to end the auction) but I'm trying to get an unopened copy of every nes game released (there were almost 800). Without this game there was pretty much no chance of meeting that goal. I still have about 30 left to go although some of them are almost equally impossible in unopened state Christo_pull_hair.gif

Great thread! Stevens might be the best artist to emerge from the 1980s (along with Frank Miller and Todd McFarlane). If he'd been drawing in the 1940s, he'd have fit right in with the Matt Bakers and Jack Kamens of the time.

He's sort of like Baker except with the time to go above and beyond instead of the deadline pressure of the 1940s. He created that time for himself to do things right by being his own boss though; that's to his credit.

Great thread! Stevens might be the best artist to emerge from the 1980s (along with Frank Miller and Todd McFarlane). If he'd been drawing in the 1940s, he'd have fit right in with the Matt Bakers and Jack Kamens of the time.

He's sort of like Baker except with the time to go above and beyond instead of the deadline pressure of the 1940s. He created that time for himself to do things right by being his own boss though; that's to his credit.

No question, Baker was a huge influence on Stevens... as was Bettie Page apparently. I also respect the fact that Stevens never "sold out"... he called his own shots. Would have loved to have seen him do more comic book work though.