• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sheena - 3D - Anyone know where the cover to this book is? - plz pm me

20 posts in this topic

I seem to remember this cover popping up for sale recently (in the last 3 years or so).

If this is the cover I'm thinking of – and it may very well not be – it was returned to the artist because it was stolen. Not sure what happened to it after that.

This is not an area of OA I follow at all – is there anyone else from "The L" who recalls this?

Hari? Chris?

Hello!

The cover art was not returned to Dave Stevens, once it was handed over to Blackthorne to be photographed & prepared for printing.. The story I heard, was that the Camera person claimed he'd either lost or misplaced the artwork.

But that this individual had also been claiming that he hadn't been properly paid or compensated by Blackthorne for his services. And many felt (privately) that the artwork had indeed been stolen.

A few years ago, it showed up on eBay..

By now, many collectors were familiar with the story. And the Seller was identified. And I know that Stevens had hired a lawyer to proceed with legal action, to get his artwork returned. I confess I don't know things ended up. Or, whether he actually did get the Cover back.

Here's where it gets interesting..

Dave allowed me to visit his studio, the last time I attended San Diego ComicCon in 2003. And he showed me a nearly-completed new "duplicate" of this same cover. With small changes made, that Dave had always wanted to make.. It was about half-inked; and looked pretty damn spectacular!!

The Good News for us fans.. Is that Dave is currently working with Arnie Fenner to publish a proper 'Art of Dave Stevens' hardcover, right now. With a publication date timed to coincide with the 2007 SDCC.. So I expect the whole story behind this legendary cover, will be explained in it's entirety, very soon!

-- Rich

Okay, I'll finish the story. I was the lawyer. Dave didn't hire me; I volunteered my time. We got the cover back after suing the guy who had it. The EBay seller did happen to be a guy who worked for the publisher. The guy returned the art without us having to go to trial. Dave decided to sell it and that buyer still has it and has no intention of selling it. I'll leave it to him to identify himself if he wants to do so. Suffice to say it found a good home with someone who truly appreciates how great that piece is. Best, Steve Morger.

Welcome to the Boards, Gozer59. hi.gif I was just watching Ghostbusters this afternoon.

The cover art was up for sale on eBay in mid-June of 2003.

580332-Sheena3D1_DStevens.JPG

Fantastic!

This board truly is a MARVEL!

Are you the owner or did you pull the image in June of 03'?

WOW!!! I love that piece.

I too was watching GB this afternoon while I simultaneously stumbled across this site.

Fortuitous!

Jeff

I'm a God, however, most people here are to blinded by my greatness to see.

devil.gif

'too' not 'to' wink.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How does this Newbie know I get picked on due to my spelling? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ha! It was just funny that you proclaim yourself a god (to whom most people are to [sic] blind), yet you made a 3rd grade spelling mistake. I just thought it was kinda funny. You see the humour?

I'm a God, however, most people here are to blinded by my greatness to see.

devil.gif

'too' not 'to' wink.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How does this Newbie know I get picked on due to my spelling? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ha! It was just funny that you proclaim yourself a god (to whom most people are to [sic] blind), yet you made a 3rd grade spelling mistake. I just thought it was kinda funny. You see the humour?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Yeah, now I see.

A Dave Stevens production piece up on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vanguard-2-Cover-Art...tem190061673751

Seems overpriced to me, no? $1400 for color separations? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've seen it before. It was up for sale in July 2003.

van_blk.jpgvan_clr.jpg

I can't believe Gozer was another KK shill. Oh well, atleast we got an interesting thread out of it this time. smile.gif

A Dave Stevens production piece up on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vanguard-2-Cover-Art...tem190061673751

Seems overpriced to me, no? $1400 for color separations? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've seen it before. It was up for sale in July 2003.

van_blk.jpgvan_clr.jpg

I can't believe Gozer was another KK shill. Oh well, atleast we got an interesting thread out of it this time. smile.gif

Yeah, mistakes happen even to the best of them. tongue.gif